Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2019, 02:22 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Consumer 8K in 2019

Not long ago Sharp announced they had joined the m43 alliance(despite TN's death certificate).

Full specs at NAB with a end of year release.

Panasonic and $$$ony have to respond,the 8K war is on!

04-13-2019, 03:43 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

SHARP? As in, the SHARP?

And... 8K?

Out of interest, is 4K anywhere near saturation in terms of consumer recording and viewing, yet?
04-13-2019, 04:07 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
SHARP? As in, the SHARP?

(...)
Sharp Corporation, headquartered in Sakai, Japan, since 2016 a subsidiary of the Taiwanese Hon Hai Precision Industry group, better known under their Foxconn brand.
04-13-2019, 04:15 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Sharp Corporation, headquartered in Sakai, Japan, since 2016 a subsidiary of the Taiwanese Hon Hai Precision Industry group, better known under their Foxconn brand.
Right... that's the same SHARP I was thinking of, though I wasn't aware of its corporate ownership in recent years. It has previously been involved at the higher end of video, but is it still active in that sector? In any case, I'm surprised to see this kind of camera from this particular brand. I hope SHARP can make a success of it. I wonder how much (if any) of it is due to partnership with RED?

04-13-2019, 07:30 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Their next 8k model up the ladder is a broadcast cam,100thouU$,a little above consumer level.

Tokyo Olympics are broadcast in 8k,Sharp will sell you a TV!
04-13-2019, 11:21 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Tokyo Olympics are broadcast in 8k,Sharp will sell you a TV!
That's the last new piece of equipment I bought under the Sharp brand... an LCD TV, about eight years ago...
04-14-2019, 02:57 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is camera companies grasping at straws, hoping for the next feature that will sell cameras. Most video streams on sites like You Tube are compressed enough that anything more than HD is not really going to show much difference. Beyond this, editing 8K video is going to take some decent computing power that a lot of consumers won't have access to.

I'm sure this will eventually take hold and brands will tell you that you can just shoot video and grab still photos from the amazing 60 fps stream of images you are getting with 8K video. But who really wants to shoot still images that way?

Oh well, I guess I'm getting old, because I keep coming back to the fact that the reason I can watch a movie more than once is because I like the story, the characters and the production values, not because I can see every tiny hair on an actor's eyebrows.

04-14-2019, 08:25 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
This is camera companies grasping at straws, hoping for the next feature that will sell cameras. Most video streams on sites like You Tube are compressed enough that anything more than HD is not really going to show much difference. Beyond this, editing 8K video is going to take some decent computing power that a lot of consumers won't have access to.

I'm sure this will eventually take hold and brands will tell you that you can just shoot video and grab still photos from the amazing 60 fps stream of images you are getting with 8K video. But who really wants to shoot still images that way?

Oh well, I guess I'm getting old, because I keep coming back to the fact that the reason I can watch a movie more than once is because I like the story, the characters and the production values, not because I can see every tiny hair on an actor's eyebrows.
I'm not sure if the number of K's make a difference, but video dynamic range isn't very good until you get into the very high end hardware.
04-14-2019, 11:25 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
I'm not sure if the number of K's make a difference, but video dynamic range isn't very good until you get into the very high end hardware.
True. I think you get a jpeg. RAW video is reserved for high end cameras.
09-05-2019, 12:59 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
09-05-2019, 01:14 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
8K because 4K is just SOO SOO blurry. LOL

I have a 4K TV and man, if you need more detail, you are really blind. 1024 seems like all the detail I need. It's like a 55" screen.