Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2019, 09:12 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Small sensors still lead MILC sales in Japan

QuoteOriginally posted by Canon Rumors:
Japan is the only country in which we get pretty good data on sales figures in the camera industry. BCN has completed their mirrorless camera rankings for March of 2019, and the Canon EOS M50 leads the way with nearly 20% market share. Canon also had another camera in the top 10, the entry-level EOS M100.
- and only one FF camera, the Sony A7iii, is in the top ten; the Canon EOS RP was 11th..

The Canon EOS M50 leads mirrorless camera sales in Japan for March 2019 | Canon Rumors

04-17-2019, 10:49 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Interesting to see Olympus up there. Hardly see many in and around Tokyo.
04-17-2019, 11:49 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It's a bit like pasta, rice and everything else, the premium products sell in less quantities.
04-18-2019, 12:12 AM   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Interesting... and yet, if we consider the Pentax Q series, perhaps not all that surprising. Outside of Japan, the market was quite limited. But the domestic market loved it, from what I can tell...

04-18-2019, 12:21 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
It's a bit like pasta, rice and everything else, the premium products sell in less quantities.
Unless you are in Italy or China...
04-18-2019, 12:32 AM   #6
Pentaxian

We don't have the breakdown male/female owner. Female would tend to buy cameras with smaller sensors, because the smaller cameras fit better in their hands? In the US, males would tend to prefer full frame camera because of the relative grip fitting with their hand? I've handled the M5, but it was definitely too small for me.
04-18-2019, 01:16 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Canon Rumours are lousy journalists and even worse researchers.

BCN can never be used to make assessments of Japanese marketshare. As discussed in the past, it is a voluntary index of certain stores, usually minor.

It is like trying to assess nationwide record sales by listening to your town's radio station.

04-18-2019, 03:06 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Of course - large sensors are an overkill to most of hobby/amateur photographers and even some pros. There are of course some applications that can benefit from large sensors, but for the most of us APS-C is more than enough. Even tho the marketing guys from all over the world (and those who buy the crap they say) will try to convince you otherwise.
The benefit of smaller sensors is also lighter gear... and for the cameras that use it - IBIS is easier to implement and more effective on smaller sensors. Then there is the faster readout of smaller sensors, less heat and yada yada yada....
04-18-2019, 03:35 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Trickortreat Quote
There are of course some applications that can benefit from large sensors, but for the most of us APS-C is more than enough.
Printing is a revelation of what sensor formats would be appropriate. There isn't enough difference between apsc and ff to make a difference in the kind of prints sizes we do. In an ideal world (not defined by marketing), full frame digital shouldn't exist and medium format digital should be more popular and better designed than it currently is.

But, the Pentax K1 sits between the two formats, that's great. Any one who didn't use a Pentax K1 yet, I highly recommend.
04-18-2019, 03:42 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Printing is a revelation of what sensor formats would be appropriate. There isn't enough difference between apsc and ff to make a difference in the kind of prints sizes we do. In an ideal world (not defined by marketing), full frame digital shouldn't exist and medium format digital should be more popular and better designed than it currently is.
Yup... and the majority of people who use ILCs these days dont even print - they just upload the photos on social media or websites. There is really no need for those to buy FF. But of course marketing guys and "experts" will try to convince you otherwise.
04-18-2019, 07:09 AM - 2 Likes   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Trickortreat Quote
Yup... and the majority of people who use ILCs these days dont even print - they just upload the photos on social media or websites.
I never did print.
In the days of film, I had an organized collection of slides.
Today, I have organized collection of folders of JPEG files.
04-18-2019, 08:30 AM   #12
Pentaxian

We don't have the breakdown male/female owner. Female would tend to buy cameras with smaller sensors, because the smaller cameras fit better in their hands? In the US, males would tend to prefer full frame camera because of the relative grip fitting with their hand? I've handled the M5, but it was definitely too small for me.
Have to disagree. From observation , with the every day shooters Phones rule. You go a step up and low end canikons fill in. For us Gals that take Photography serious, size doesn't enter in. Quality of output does. A FB group I'm in for Pentax Woman is filled with K-1 users. I'm one of the few still shooting APS-C
04-18-2019, 08:51 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I never did print.In the days of film, I had an organized collection of slides.Today, I have organized collection of folders of JPEG files.
Oh, yes, you've bought a Pentax KP and be reassured that you made the right decision.

---------- Post added 18-04-19 at 17:55 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by thazooo Quote
Quality of output does. A FB group I'm in for Pentax Woman is filled with K-1 users. I'm one of the few still shooting APS-C
Oh , thanks for sharing this insight, I didn't know.
04-18-2019, 12:39 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I never did print.
In the days of film, I had an organized collection of slides.
Today, I have organized collection of folders of JPEG files.
Projectors were fun. I miss those things
04-18-2019, 01:44 PM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My Q7 is so conflicted now...