Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
06-30-2019, 06:53 PM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Great News!

Heads UP

Go to the Angry Photographers youTube and search around for his free Ebook,he gives his knowledge away but you may like to donate $2 or $5 if you think the book has helped you.

---------- Post added 07-01-19 at 12:55 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by szs Quote
And boy, what a camera!!
Did it come with any lenses?

07-01-2019, 09:41 AM   #17
szs

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Heads UP

Go to the Angry Photographers youTube and search around for his free Ebook,he gives his knowledge away but you may like to donate $2 or $5 if you think the book has helped you.

Thanks for the tip, will do!

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Did it come with any lenses?
Yes, I forgot to mention: I was lucky (Didn't really check until I had bought it) that it came with the XF 18-55, and not with the XC or a cheap third-party lens or sth,,,,

I was aware that there was "the kit lens" on the body and that it was a Fujinon. And I knew that there are no bad lenses made by Fuji. Afterwards I noticed that there was a cheaper, less sharp lens also sold with the camera.... but not mine

Cheers, Steffen

---------- Post added 2019-07-01 at 11:50 ----------

Found the ebook. For future reference:

FUJIFILM CAMERA TRICKS & TIPS : Kenneth L. Wheeler : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

Again: The author is Kenneth L. Wheeler. He has a YouTube channel called "Theoria Apophasis" and he accepts and appreciates donations.

Last edited by szs; 07-01-2019 at 09:50 AM.
07-01-2019, 01:53 PM - 1 Like   #18

Congratulations and welcome to club

It will be interesting to read your future experience with and impressions of Fuji gear. I got an X-T20 2 years ago, well, for similar reasons and mine impressions are still mixed.
07-23-2019, 10:40 AM - 2 Likes   #19
szs

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Coiseam Quote
Congratulations and welcome to club

It will be interesting to read your future experience with and impressions of Fuji gear. I got an X-T20 2 years ago, well, for similar reasons and mine impressions are still mixed.
After three weeks of walking the streets with the Fujifilm X-T2, I can only say: wow! What a camera! Colours are great, the lens (XF 18-55) is great, handling is great! It is just a fun camera to work with.

My main subjects are street photography and family, aka action photography; running after a two-year-old trying to keep the shutter speed as fast as possible while still getting some focused shots. And the X-T2 has proven to be perfect for this. A bit smaller than my K3. Actually only "shorter" in line-of-sight direction, but that makes it much less "bulky". Maybe it's more psychological, but that's how I perceive it. Also the faster autofocus makes a difference. Video is much better. Silent shutter is very useful.

The only downsides are:

* Battery life: I only have one battery pack and that lasts one day of shooting. So I *have* to remember to charge at night, or I'll be out of juice the next day. Solution, of course is to buy another battery or two.
* EVF: The EVF itself is great and although it is noticeable that you are looking at a screen and not directly through the lens, it is great. No perceivable lag, no head-ache, all good. The on-screen information is configurable, so that's great. My problem is: Either I have the EVF on at all time, and run out of battery even faster, or I set it to "eye-sensor" which will switch it on when a proximity sensor fires. But that switching on lasts, I don't know, maybe 0.3 seconds, which is enough to at times not get the shot. The image is just not instantly there. And I ask myself, is the camera on? I press the shutter half way again, to make sure and all of that distracts me. Maybe I find a way to get use to this or just leave it on and (see above) carry another charged battery with me.

To sum up, I am happy with the purchase, and I might sell one of my Pentax bodies or both, see next post....

Cheers, Steffen

---------- Post added 2019-07-23 at 12:51 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
I used to own K3ii. Sold it when I got the X-T2.

The fuji is a wonderful 4K video camera! Also, about 2/3rds the weight of the K3ii.

Now I use Fuji when I want to go light or make videos. I use my Pentax K-1 when doing "serious" stills.

Get the Fuji, sell your Pentax APS-C gear and get a K-1

After three weeks of using almost exclusively the X-T2, this may be the way to go for me, too. I own a K5 and a K3II. The former is at my parents house, so that's not in use anyway.... The K3II is a camera, I really really like, so I am hesitating.... But probably I will sell it to even out the bank account O_o and to save for the K1. On the other hand, I partly bought the K3II for the astrotracker. I didn't do that much astro photography yet, but I'd like to some day.

I also have a bunch of modern and vintage K-mount lenses which I will not sell. On the one hand, I am interested in film lately, so I bought an Electro Spotmatic and maybe will buy a ME Super (local antiquities shop; I should really not enter these!!!). While the Spotmatic takes 42mm, the ME Super might be the body for the old K-lenses. I might sell or keep the modern lenses. One of them is FF, and the others can still be used in the K1's crop mode, thus rescuing me from having to buy many new lenses for the K1 right away.

One the other hand, I ordered a K-mount - X-mount adapter and will try these lenses on the Fuji. Mirrorless ftw!!!

So, that's my state of thought at the moment, sorry for rambling aimlessly about, I was more or less thinking out loud.

Cheers, Steffen

Last edited by szs; 07-23-2019 at 10:56 AM. Reason: typo
07-27-2019, 06:56 AM   #20

After three weeks of walking the streets with the Fujifilm X-T2, I can only say: wow! What a camera! Colours are great, the lens (XF 18-55) is great, handling is great! It is just a fun camera to work with.

My main subjects are street photography and family, aka action photography; running after a two-year-old trying to keep the shutter speed as fast as possible while still getting some focused shots. And the X-T2 has proven to be perfect for this. A bit smaller than my K3. Actually only "shorter" in line-of-sight direction, but that makes it much less "bulky". Maybe it's more psychological, but that's how I perceive it. Also the faster autofocus makes a difference. Video is much better. Silent shutter is very useful.

The only downsides are:

* Battery life: I only have one battery pack and that lasts one day of shooting. So I *have* to remember to charge at night, or I'll be out of juice the next day. Solution, of course is to buy another battery or two.
* EVF: The EVF itself is great and although it is noticeable that you are looking at a screen and not directly through the lens, it is great. No perceivable lag, no head-ache, all good. The on-screen information is configurable, so that's great. My problem is: Either I have the EVF on at all time, and run out of battery even faster, or I set it to "eye-sensor" which will switch it on when a proximity sensor fires. But that switching on lasts, I don't know, maybe 0.3 seconds, which is enough to at times not get the shot. The image is just not instantly there. And I ask myself, is the camera on? I press the shutter half way again, to make sure and all of that distracts me. Maybe I find a way to get use to this or just leave it on and (see above) carry another charged battery with me.
Thanks for feedback!

I own a X-T20 for about 2 years with f2 primes and Zeiss Touit 12. Used to have problems with post-processing, just didn't quite like colours, but after switching from Capture One 10 to Iridient X-Transformer + Lightroom things look better. Lenses - in comparence to Touit 12 Pentax 15 lim is miles behind; f2 primes are all right and easy to use, though I would prefer DA lims rendering. May be I'll get their new 18-80 f4 zoom to have something all-around. If I could combine in 1 camera Pentax K5 colours, DA lims and Fuji's autofocus and video, that would be my dream.

K-1 - if you have a chance to get it - give it a try. With FA lims it's just another galaxy.
07-27-2019, 07:22 AM   #21
Pentaxian

I looked at the Fuji X line seriously a couple of months ago. Video isn't a consideration for me, I'm a stills photographer, but I wanted something light, compact with an ASP-C sensor, interchangeable lens capability wasn't a factor. I wanted a small, robust carry around with a fixed, fast, excellent, wide angle lens.

I eventually bought a Ricoh GR ll. So far, quite happy with it. The Fuji would of been fine, I'm sure, I just preferred the GR for my needs.
07-27-2019, 12:39 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
That helps,there are cheeeep imitation batteries on ebay with a dual charger.Not as good as genuine but do the job as a back up quite well.

Also Meike do a vertical grip that is 1/3rd the cost of a Fuji grip.Not so sure about how weather proof it is?Mind you the XT2 weather sealing isnt fantastic.(highly improved on XT3 and XH1).

Last edited by surfar; 07-27-2019 at 01:06 PM.