Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2019, 10:49 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Morelia, Michoacán
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 107
Adding a Fujifilm X-T2 to the family?

Hello Pentaxonians,

I recently have been tempted to get a (possibly used) Fujifilm X-T2, while of course keeping my K5 and K3-II.

The reasons are:
  • trying out shooting video
  • have a smaller camera for street and travel
  • trying out Fuji glass
  • getting a new toy

I chose this camera after an afternoon of comparing specs and reviews online. So I am quite sure, the camera suits my wishes without ripping a huge hole in my bank account.

My question to you is: Concerning the first two points on the list, are there comparable cameras in that price range (500-1000 US$).


The features I am looking for most are:

  • 4K video
  • weight <600g
  • size (carry around, fit in small camera bag)
  • excellent EVF or optical VF
  • good manual controls (no need for scene programs etc.)
  • APS-C or bigger sensor
  • good dynamic range
  • good AF (at least better than on the K5 and K3 )


, roughly in that order. There are other nice-to-haves but I think the list is already large enough....


To be clear, I am not asking you to do the research for me, but rather if you have a camera that does all of that, or you were between the X-T2 and another camera, I would appreciate you mention it, so I can look it up.


Thank you, have a nice day, evening, night, wherever you are,

Steffen

04-25-2019, 12:38 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian
TaoMaas's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Oklahoma City
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,315
I have no suggestions for you, but I'll be curious to see what you go with because I'm doing some similar shopping. I'm due for an upgrade to my DSLR, but I need better video than what Pentax is offering right now. I'd love to have a K-1ii, but for about the same price, I'm debating going with a KP and then getting some other mirrorless that does better video.
04-25-2019, 01:03 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Fenwoodian's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Wisconsin, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,092
I used to own K3ii. Sold it when I got the X-T2.

The fuji is a wonderful 4K video camera! Also, about 2/3rds the weight of the K3ii.

Now I use Fuji when I want to go light or make videos. I use my Pentax K-1 when doing "serious" stills.

Get the Fuji, sell your Pentax APS-C gear and get a K-1
04-25-2019, 01:07 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: mid nth coast,nsw
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,060
QuoteOriginally posted by szs Quote
(500-1000 US$).
This is the latest tech from Fuji at a bargain(BF$ price)





04-25-2019, 01:22 PM - 1 Like   #5
Senior Member




Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 182
Just go for the x-t2. But since you have an APS-C size already, FF might be tempting as well. For less than 1000 you can go with some of the Sony FFs but I don't think the overall package will be as good as the x-t2, plus, you start factoring in bigger and expensive lenses. If I have to take into account Canon and Sony APS-C offerings, I will go with the X-T2 - no contest for me here. Of course, the other obvious options are x-t20, x-t30 or x-e3.
04-25-2019, 08:37 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 15,157
M43 except for SENSOR size was my answer.

Last edited by UncleVanya; 04-26-2019 at 01:51 PM.
04-25-2019, 08:59 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian
Wheatfield's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The wheatfields of Canada
Photos: Albums
Posts: 11,185
QuoteOriginally posted by szs Quote
Hello Pentaxonians,

I recently have been tempted to get a (possibly used) Fujifilm X-T2, while of course keeping my K5 and K3-II.

The reasons are:
  • trying out shooting video
  • have a smaller camera for street and travel
  • trying out Fuji glass
  • getting a new toy

I chose this camera after an afternoon of comparing specs and reviews online. So I am quite sure, the camera suits my wishes without ripping a huge hole in my bank account.

My question to you is: Concerning the first two points on the list, are there comparable cameras in that price range (500-1000 US$).


The features I am looking for most are:

  • 4K video
  • weight <600g
  • size (carry around, fit in small camera bag)
  • excellent EVF or optical VF
  • good manual controls (no need for scene programs etc.)
  • APS-C or bigger sensor
  • good dynamic range
  • good AF (at least better than on the K5 and K3 )


, roughly in that order. There are other nice-to-haves but I think the list is already large enough....


To be clear, I am not asking you to do the research for me, but rather if you have a camera that does all of that, or you were between the X-T2 and another camera, I would appreciate you mention it, so I can look it up.


Thank you, have a nice day, evening, night, wherever you are,

Steffen
FWIW, I added an X-T1 and some lenses a few years back. Lovely little camera, though the viewfinder gives me a headache. I haven’t used it since I got my K1. I think if I was going to buy a Fuji these days I would opt for the X-T3, I believe it has a better viewfinder.
04-27-2019, 12:52 PM   #8
szs
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Morelia, Michoacán
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 107
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
I used to own K3ii. Sold it when I got the X-T2.

The fuji is a wonderful 4K video camera! Also, about 2/3rds the weight of the K3ii.

Now I use Fuji when I want to go light or make videos. I use my Pentax K-1 when doing "serious" stills.

Get the Fuji, sell your Pentax APS-C gear and get a K-1

Hello, thanks.

I think this will be my mid to long term path.... I am also wanting to get a K1 for some time. Problem is, this will be a bit of an investment in time and money (selling the APS-C gear and buying the K1 with at least one decent lens to start with)

But good and reassuring to hear that you went that way and are happy.

Cheers, Steffen

---------- Post added 2019-04-27 at 14:54 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
This is the latest tech from Fuji at a bargain(BF$ price)
Hello, thanks.

I looked at the X-T30, and what I don't like about it is that it has the X-T20's EVF, which I only read and saw negative comments about. The sensor and video capabilities seem to be better than those of the X-T2, but not too much, apparently. Also it costs roughly twice what the X-T2 costs!

Cheers, Steffen

---------- Post added 2019-04-27 at 14:57 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by sundown Quote
Just go for the x-t2. But since you have an APS-C size already, FF might be tempting as well. For less than 1000 you can go with some of the Sony FFs but I don't think the overall package will be as good as the x-t2, plus, you start factoring in bigger and expensive lenses. If I have to take into account Canon and Sony APS-C offerings, I will go with the X-T2 - no contest for me here. Of course, the other obvious options are x-t20, x-t30 or x-e3.
Hello, thanks for the comments.

FF is also a project, but a different one

Sony is great, I know, but in my experience always more expensive in comparison to similar products of other brands.

Haven't looked at the X-E3, will do that.

Cheers, Steffen

---------- Post added 2019-04-27 at 15:04 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
M43 except for SENSOR size was my answer.
Hello, thanks. I will have a look at som m4/3... after all, they *are* smaller and can be more affordable.

---------- Post added 2019-04-27 at 15:06 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
FWIW, I added an X-T1 and some lenses a few years back. Lovely little camera, though the viewfinder gives me a headache. I haven’t used it since I got my K1. I think if I was going to buy a Fuji these days I would opt for the X-T3, I believe it has a better viewfinder.
I don't know about the X-T1, but the X-T20 and X-T30 seem to have the same (or similar) EVF, which is small and laggy; and the X-T2 and X-T3 seem to have the same (or similar) EVF, which is supposed to be one of the best ones out there. And as I am used to optical VFs, I don't want to make a compromise there....

Cheers, Steffen

04-27-2019, 01:17 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian
Wheatfield's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The wheatfields of Canada
Photos: Albums
Posts: 11,185
QuoteOriginally posted by szs Quote
Hello, thanks.

I
I don't know about the X-T1, but the X-T20 and X-T30 seem to have the same (or similar) EVF, which is small and laggy; and the X-T2 and X-T3 seem to have the same (or similar) EVF, which is supposed to be one of the best ones out there. And as I am used to optical VFs, I don't want to make a compromise there....

Cheers, Steffen
I looked at an X-T2 last year at the dog and pony show my pusher puts on. The viewfinder in high performance mode was quite usable. The X-T1 gives me a headache very quickly, like half a minute of use without a break is too much. I was able to look at the X-T2 finder for a couple of minutes, which is more than ample. Unfortunately, it is also a battery hog. I think the only difference is the refresh rate, high performance is a hundred, regular is sixty cycles per second, or thereabouts.
04-28-2019, 12:22 AM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 15,157
In m43 the oly em1 is pretty cheap if you can deal with the quirky menus and control logic.
04-28-2019, 12:24 AM   #11
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: mid nth coast,nsw
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,060
QuoteOriginally posted by szs Quote
I looked at the X-T30, and what I don't like about it is that it has the X-T20's EVF, which I only read and saw negative comments about.
QuoteOriginally posted by szs Quote
the X-T20 and X-T30 seem to have the same (or similar) EVF, which is small and laggy;
Yes, its a smaller evf but i dont find it laggy.initially in the XE-2s,then XT-20,XE-3 and now XT-30.The XT-1/2 have the same resolution but more magnification.

QuoteOriginally posted by szs Quote
the X-T2 and X-T3 seem to have the same (or similar) EVF, which is supposed to be one of the best ones out there.
The XT-3 has a 3.69m dot evf,its very good.XT-1 and XT-2 are the similar ones.2.6m dot evf.


Now, as far as reading negative reports...they come for every camera.However,in Fuji's case,the Kaizen(improvement)firmware updates usually overcome many of the early glitches.Fuji have 6 models that use Xtrans,as each model is released the enhancements come and the existing models(of the same sensor) get updated.


I own and use each variant of Xtrans,the latest is significantly more advanced than version 3.


The Xt-30 manual is a free download from the Fuji site,Steffan,I'd suggest you have a long look at the capability of it.
04-29-2019, 10:40 AM   #12
szs
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Morelia, Michoacán
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 107
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
In m43 the oly em1 is pretty cheap if you can deal with the quirky menus and control logic.
thanks, I'll have a look at it

---------- Post added 2019-04-29 at 12:48 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Yes, its a smaller evf but i dont find it laggy.initially in the XE-2s,then XT-20,XE-3 and now XT-30.The XT-1/2 have the same resolution but more magnification.



The XT-3 has a 3.69m dot evf,its very good.XT-1 and XT-2 are the similar ones.2.6m dot evf.


Now, as far as reading negative reports...they come for every camera.However,in Fuji's case,the Kaizen(improvement)firmware updates usually overcome many of the early glitches.Fuji have 6 models that use Xtrans,as each model is released the enhancements come and the existing models(of the same sensor) get updated.


I own and use each variant of Xtrans,the latest is significantly more advanced than version 3.


The Xt-30 manual is a free download from the Fuji site,Steffan,I'd suggest you have a long look at the capability of it.
thanks. The EVF seems to have a setting (boost mode?) where you can increase the fps, so that it's not laggy, in case one feels that with the normal mode. The EVF being smaller is not such big of a deal. It might even be an advantage for me as I am wearing glasses and supposedly it's easier to see the whole frame on a somewhat smaller EVF if your eye is a few mm further away from it.

That leaves the X-T30 having better video and image quality and being smaller, which I like, and are two of my important points....

On the downside it's more expensive, not weatherproof and (that's a minor thing) it doesn't have as many buttons and doesn't have a dedicated ISO wheel. I tend to change settings a lot, so that's a negative point (according to me) but a minor one.

I guess I'll wait a few month, put a few hundred $$$ more on the side and buy the X-T30, then??
04-29-2019, 03:34 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: mid nth coast,nsw
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,060
QuoteOriginally posted by szs Quote
I guess I'll wait a few month, put a few hundred $$$ more on the side and buy the X-T30, then??
Nothing wrong with observing,I looked at the Fuji X forum for a couple of years before i bought in.The XT-30 will go on sale down the track again.
Retail is U$899 but there was a deal that included the 23mm F2 at 999(its ended).The lens line up is reasonably good and theres 2-3 newbys each year.ALSO,the cheap Viltrox AF adapter and speedbooster work with EF mount Canon/Tamron/Sigma glass(there is a compatibility chart).
04-30-2019, 08:57 AM   #14
Senior Member




Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 182
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
ALSO,the cheap Viltrox AF adapter and speedbooster work with EF mount Canon/Tamron/Sigma glass(there is a compatibility chart).
This is what I like about my recent X addition. Now that I own 3 systems, suddenly I can add EF Canon/Tamron/Sigma lenses too. Endless possibilities
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
aps-c, camera, cheers, comments, comparison, costs, dot, evf, fuji, fuji x-t2, fujifilm, fujifilm x-t2, k1, look, post, sensor, sony, thanks, time, video
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Are T2 and M42 the same thing? jeryst Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 8 12-15-2017 05:53 PM
T2 to Pentax K adapter ismaelg Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 13 06-07-2017 08:09 AM
French Presidential Candidate Stops Interview and Asks “Is This the Fujifilm X-T2?” interested_observer Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 3 11-14-2016 04:55 PM
Is this the Danish Royal Family, The Addams Family or perhaps The Omen? MRRiley General Talk 13 11-28-2013 10:06 AM
Large family (25+) and Single Family recommendations Barthros Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 5 10-04-2013 10:05 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:36 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top