Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 37 Likes Search this Thread
05-07-2019, 01:03 PM - 7 Likes   #1

Photos: Gallery
Currently Watching my Managers Failing at Flash Photography

As I am sitting here I am watching 2 managers at my work try to take a picture for our company website with the Company Nikon DSLR. One is operating the camera and has never heard of using the wireless flash feature so he has the flash on the hot shoe pointing it everywhere but mostly up. Has also never heard of a flash modifier I see. The other thinks he is Spielberg and has to see every picture after it is taken. Camera operator is bouncing the flash in obvious TTL mode off the 30+ ft ceiling. I think we are on picture 50 at this point he is currently replacing the batteries in the flash. Pretty sure they have never heard of post processing either because they are scrutinizing for perfection. I'm just sitting here mildly amused knowing I could solve there problem with a flash modifier I could Jerry Rig in about 2 minutes with office supplies. Am I an awful person for sitting back and watching this?

05-07-2019, 02:17 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If they act like they know what they're doing, mind your own business since you can't tell someone something they already know. If they are acting lost or confused, offer help, explaining that it's your hobby and you have some knowledge.

That's how I'd approach it.
05-07-2019, 02:46 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
IMO, one of the managers could canvass the staff to find out who knows photography and cameras, and delegate to a willing and competent employee. However, I don't know the roles or dynamics within this company.

Last edited by c.a.m; 05-07-2019 at 04:39 PM. Reason: soften the tone
05-07-2019, 02:56 PM - 1 Like   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Amusing story

Depending on your relationship with the managers, it might be OK to offer an "alternative view" that doesn't call out their lack of knowledge - something like, "I don't know whether it would help, but in situations like this I've found this works quite well..." - but only if it won't count against you. Otherwise, keep schtum

05-07-2019, 03:34 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by peterdesilvey Quote
As I am sitting here I am watching 2 managers at my work try to take a picture for our company website with the Company Nikon DSLR. One is operating the camera and has never heard of using the wireless flash feature so he has the flash on the hot shoe pointing it everywhere but mostly up. Has also never heard of a flash modifier I see. The other thinks he is Spielberg and has to see every picture after it is taken. Camera operator is bouncing the flash in obvious TTL mode off the 30+ ft ceiling. I think we are on picture 50 at this point he is currently replacing the batteries in the flash. Pretty sure they have never heard of post processing either because they are scrutinizing for perfection. I'm just sitting here mildly amused knowing I could solve there problem with a flash modifier I could Jerry Rig in about 2 minutes with office supplies. Am I an awful person for sitting back and watching this?
You'll have to post an update!
05-07-2019, 03:44 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
If they act like they know what they're doing, mind your own business since you can't tell someone something they already know.
+1 on that. If they ask that's a different story but since they obviously are 'managers' and know all that 'stuff' then let them be.
05-07-2019, 03:58 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Veteran Member

Don't offer help to people who are not asking for help, and especially if they are a manager and/or showing of their skills - the exception being if they are a friend and you have a chance to have a quiet word.

At best they won't appreciate it, at worst they will actively resent it and you will get a reputation as 'that guy' amongst the management.

The one exception to this is if you are a photography teacher, even then don't expect anybody to thank you.

05-07-2019, 04:15 PM - 4 Likes   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sqrrl Quote
Don't offer help to people who are not asking for help, and especially if they are a manager and/or showing of their skills - the exception being if they are a friend and you have a chance to have a quiet word.

At best they won't appreciate it, at worst they will actively resent it and you will get a reputation as 'that guy' amongst the management.

The one exception to this is if you are a photography teacher, even then don't expect anybody to thank you.
See, that's why I'm no good in the corporate environment. I would have walked over and said: "You guys look like you could use some help."
05-07-2019, 04:53 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Why didn't they hire a pro?
05-07-2019, 04:54 PM - 4 Likes   #10
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Why didn't they hire a pro?
If you have an expensive camera, surely a pro isn't necessary?
05-07-2019, 05:29 PM - 3 Likes   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Peter, you could help, but it's making your day watch them, right?

And isn't it good to know your company is in such good hands! If they fumble and bumble with a camera, continuing to make mistakes and not seeking assistance, what would they be like in a profit downturn?
05-07-2019, 05:42 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
See, that's why I'm no good in the corporate environment. I would have walked over and said: "You guys look like you could use some help."
Yeah, I stopped working in corporate environments funnily enough.
05-07-2019, 05:49 PM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
If you have an expensive camera, surely a pro isn't necessary?
I get the joke - but the truth is I wouldn't offer my help in those cases as they would devalue my photographic knowledge and skill by not hiring a pro in the first place. If it were my company or a non-profit company and I wanted to help out I might but in general I'm not going to give away my labor for free - to a for profit company.
05-07-2019, 07:33 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Just break out the popcorn and enjoy.
05-08-2019, 02:11 AM - 2 Likes   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The core skill in management is to know how to have other people do the work for you. A "good" manager would ask someone else to take the camera and go take photos for him, return with the results.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 05-08-2019 at 02:40 AM.