Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-08-2019, 03:49 AM - 4 Likes   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

The assumption, of course, is that the hapless managers were getting crummy results. Most experts here on Pentax Forums would laugh if they saw my approach to supplemental lighting and product photography. For example, I wanted a snapshot of a recent purchase to share online. The photo below was done with almost no ambient light, a single non-TTL flash (camera-mounted, pointed up and slightly behind the camera), an old piece of white foam board, and a 36" circular white reflector off to one side.

My advantage, of course, is that there is only one of me and that it has been years since I was in management.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 05-08-2019 at 04:03 AM. Reason: punctuation
05-08-2019, 05:09 AM   #17
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The photo below was done with almost no ambient light, a single non-TTL flash (camera-mounted, pointed up and slightly behind the camera), an old piece of white foam board, and a 36" circular white reflector off to one side.
Nice combo, there. Is that a Jupiter-12 on the camera?
05-08-2019, 05:58 AM - 2 Likes   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The funny thing is, if they were good managers they would realise that the money they're spending by both being paid managerial wages for doing a substandard job for a day will probably far exceed the cost of getting good results by hiring in a pro for an hour.
05-08-2019, 06:02 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
The funny thing is, if they were good managers they would realise that the money they're spending by both being paid managerial wages for doing a substandard job for a day will probably far exceed the cost of getting good results by hiring in a pro for an hour.
THIS!!!!! That's part of the point I tried to make earlier only you said it better.

05-08-2019, 06:52 AM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
Perhaps if it were a task they could do in Excel, it might go easier?

Scott Adams : Dilbert | "Excel" + "laptop" + "airplane"

Steve
05-08-2019, 07:05 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
The core skill in management is to know how to have other people do the work for you. A "good" manager would ask someone else to take the camera and go take photos for him, return with the results.
Maybe it's kind of a hobby for them. Must be nice to practice your hobby at work.
05-08-2019, 07:32 AM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This makes me think of how the three stooges put up wallpaper

05-08-2019, 10:33 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
"What the manager(s) want, the manager(s) get."

A lot depends on your relationship to the company and your managers. If your company is one of those big conglomerates where you do your job and collect your paycheck, enjoy the entertainment.

If you have a stake in your company and are close to your managers, you might wait until they get their results and then casually drop the fact that you are a pro and would volunteer your services if they so desire, but consider the consequences of becoming involved in something that reflects on your company and you. You would be responsible for a professional looking product and something the managers are happy with (it's easy for them to be happy with their own efforts).

And, don't short sell them. Sometimes even the worst neophytes can take surprisingly good photos (and how good those photos have to be, depends on their end use).
05-10-2019, 04:56 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by peterdesilvey Quote
As I am sitting here I am watching 2 managers at my work try to take a picture for our company website with the Company Nikon DSLR. One is operating the camera and has never heard of using the wireless flash feature so he has the flash on the hot shoe pointing it everywhere but mostly up. Has also never heard of a flash modifier I see. The other thinks he is Spielberg and has to see every picture after it is taken. Camera operator is bouncing the flash in obvious TTL mode off the 30+ ft ceiling. I think we are on picture 50 at this point he is currently replacing the batteries in the flash. Pretty sure they have never heard of post processing either because they are scrutinizing for perfection. I'm just sitting here mildly amused knowing I could solve there problem with a flash modifier I could Jerry Rig in about 2 minutes with office supplies. Am I an awful person for sitting back and watching this?
I was a guest at an outdoor wedding and watched a "professional" wedding photographer with his EOS Rebel and flash pointed to they sky just firing away. He shot JPEG and under exposed the entire event.... even outside. The colors in the images he provided were simply awful. I assume he or the camera automatically set the JPEG WB for flash. He was possibly the worst professional photographer I ever watched work.
05-10-2019, 05:15 AM   #25

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I was a guest at an outdoor wedding and watched a "professional" wedding photographer with his EOS Rebel and flash pointed to they sky just firing away. He shot JPEG and under exposed the entire event.... even outside. The colors in the images he provided were simply awful. I assume he or the camera automatically set the JPEG WB for flash. He was possibly the worst professional photographer I ever watched work.
I really hope they didn't pay too much. Plus a rebel? Don't get me wrong it can get you the shots if you actually know what you are doing. Especially the later models but I would never go into a paid gig without a dual slot camera. As for firing at the sky guess someone started to read the chapter in every photography book on bringing a Speedlite with you when shooting outdoor portraits but didn't finish. That and Shooting JPEG. I guess he wanted to make sure he never got work again.
05-11-2019, 12:02 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Anyone recommend a good resource for getting flash photography right? I’ve likely got some coming up in June - people, an event, inside a marquee I would imagine. Walk around snapping guests and groups. It’s neither paid nor pro nor very important but it would be nice to know I was getting it as right as I could.

Last edited by mecrox; 05-11-2019 at 12:16 AM.
05-11-2019, 12:44 AM   #27
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
Anyone recommend a good resource for getting flash photography right? I’ve likely got some coming up in June - people, an event, inside a marquee I would imagine. Walk around snapping guests and groups. It’s neither paid nor pro nor very important but it would be nice to know I was getting it as right as I could.
I heartily recommend "Understanding Flash Photography" by Bryan Peterson... It's very accessible, easy to read and understand, with key concepts repeated throughout so that they become ingrained in your mind
05-11-2019, 06:31 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I heartily recommend "Understanding Flash Photography" by Bryan Peterson... It's very accessible, easy to read and understand, with key concepts repeated throughout so that they become ingrained in your mind
That’s a good start! Thank you very much
05-11-2019, 07:26 AM - 1 Like   #29
RDP
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Please let us know what the outcome was. Did they get the shot? And before getting involved, remember this bit of wisdom that was passed on to me many years ago, “You can’t tell anything to someone who knows everything.”
05-12-2019, 04:40 AM - 1 Like   #30
Pentaxian

As long as they aren't pointing the flash directly at the subject they are on the right path in my books. Distance is the best diffuser and it's free.