Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2019, 01:40 PM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Despite the marketing this is pretty much a camera for commercial photographers. How many are going to drop their existing Phase 1, Hasselblad kit and go all in on the GFX system, a few hundred?

3 MF cameras and building out a lens line up seems like a huge investment for Fuji, not to mention the marketing around these cameras, flying folks in from around the world to media launches, etc.

There will be competing 100MP Full-frame cameras in the next few years.

It is hard to understand the economics around this platform.

05-25-2019, 01:58 PM   #17
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by caliscouser Quote
Hassy's 100MP (?) X1D MkII is already coming. Wealthy amateurs will choose that over the Fuji for badge bragging rights alone, regardless of which camera is actually better. Pros will generally be more sensible about it, but still... Fuji has a lot of work to do if it's to make its investment pay off. I do, however, wish it well with this new camera...
05-25-2019, 02:13 PM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I would like one of these, but I will have to win the lottery first...
05-25-2019, 02:17 PM - 2 Likes   #19
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
I would like one of these, but I will have to win the lottery first...
Yeah, me too Despite my doubts at user take-up, if I had zero financial limits, I'd buy the camera and every available lens - plus a fast enough PC, best possible monitor(s) and dedicated storage to deal with the files

05-25-2019, 02:58 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Hassy's 100MP (?) X1D MkII is already coming.
Yes,but who apart from the"badgers" will line up for that after the first edition?

DJI may turn that reputation around so it will be interesting.

---------- Post added 05-26-19 at 09:00 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
I will have to win the lottery first
Yeah, me too
Ha Ha,many people are buying tickets at this very moment!
05-25-2019, 03:11 PM - 2 Likes   #21
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Yes,but who apart from the"badgers" will line up for that after the first edition?
Arguably, that's mainly who bought the X1D. Most Hasselblad pros are still using their H5D (or earlier) cameras with a variety of backs. But there's a market for the X1D, just as there's a market for Leicas. Neither Hasselblad or Leica are selling snake oil... the cameras and lenses are top quality, but my, they're expensive. It's a limited market, but a solid market nonetheless. It seems there are enough folks with that kind of money to burn, and good luck to them, I say.

DJI may turn that reputation around so it will be interesting.
Yeah... and it could go either way. DJI is kind of a premium brand in drones... but I wonder whether it can maintain and improve upon Hasselblad's brand prestige. Professionals shouldn't care one way or another, so long as the quality of - and support for - the tools continues to be top notch. But for wealthy amateurs who are buying into a brand, I wonder if Hasselblad's allure hasn't waned somewhat now that it's part of a large far-eastern organisation, instead of a Scandinavian boutique manufacturer...

Ha Ha,many people are buying tickets at this very moment!
It seems I've had a bad run of non-working tickets. I'm going to have to switch suppliers
05-25-2019, 05:21 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Only a Surfar knows the feeling.

05-26-2019, 10:05 AM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

(...) for wealthy amateurs who are buying into a brand, I wonder if Hasselblad's allure hasn't waned somewhat now that it's part of a large far-eastern organisation, instead of a Scandinavian boutique manufacturer...

(...)
Hasselblad aren't new to being part of a somewhat large far-eastern organisation: from January 2003 until their acquisition by Ventizz Capital (today Vorndran Mannheims Capital) in June 2011 they belonged to the Hong Kongese Shriro Group, a distributor, manufacturer and retailer of premium brands which has been the distributor for Hasselblad in Japan, Hong Kong, China, Taiwan, Singapore and Malaysia since the mid-1960s.
05-26-2019, 10:12 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As I said on another forum, this is sort of an inheritor of the 67's mantle, and I'm slightly sad that it's not a Pentax camera - but thigs are what they are, and the days when Pentax could take punts like that are long gone
05-27-2019, 06:35 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by caliscouser Quote
Despite the marketing this is pretty much a camera for commercial photographers. How many are going to drop their existing Phase 1, Hasselblad kit and go all in on the GFX system, a few hundred?

3 MF cameras and building out a lens line up seems like a huge investment for Fuji, not to mention the marketing around these cameras, flying folks in from around the world to media launches, etc.

It is hard to understand the economics around this platform.
Fuji has been making medium format glass for Hasselblad for years, so the infrastructure for production is already there. Fuji has all the technology it's just a matter of manufacturing and I'm sure the production runs are pretty small. The technology they develop for one line of cameras can carry over.
05-27-2019, 09:50 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
it is greatest untill next big thing surfaces. when one do buy one of these for video, they better be ready to upgrade their computer with 3X of money they drop on this camera and lenses. It will be interesting to see where this thing will lead to.
05-27-2019, 02:15 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
it is greatest untill next big thing surfaces.
Thats always the case.

when one do buy one of these for video, they better be ready to upgrade their computer with 3X of money they drop on this camera and lenses.
Can you explain this please?

---------- Post added 05-28-19 at 08:22 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
The technology they develop for one line of cameras can carry over.
It does,the quad core processor from XT3/30 is in the GFX100.
05-27-2019, 11:20 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Can you explain this please?

Well I might have little overstated that, but in shor, if they are offering RAW(are they?) for 4K DCI, it is going to be one big file, or several small ones. For Professionals already having pretty expensive studio, it will propably not make any problems. But let's say some one doing quite good home studio, upgrading gear to these big files let alone 8K, when it comes(you said it is just software update, because it is already 11K downsampled to 4K) to processing, you go over 'normal' computing. It is cool, you get higher standard, than let's say iMac Pro 'max' which should support 5K, but has been tried and it begin to get noisier and slower. That thing is already quite expensive. You want to double that and get monitors to support your streaming, and... Already RAW photo out of this thing, needs a real computer. In short, that is going to cost ya!
05-28-2019, 06:56 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Well I might have little overstated that,
Yes,thats what i thought.

Ive seen no information of any RAW video capability,Its a basic 4K(at release, log +film simulations) but may go higher in the future.

The gfx100 will attract some professionals and the advanced amateur that can take advantage of what it does.As you say,the Pro will know the computing requirements,some of the amateurs will need to upgrade.

Who will buy it?

Well, the Fuji executives were surprised at the amount of 50S models they sold and theyve said the 50R has sold well too.Their market research tells them that 70% who have bought into the 2 introductory bodies came from FF(probably CaNikony).

It costalotta,no doubt...15-20K to get started with native glass.
In short, that is going to cost ya!

Last edited by surfar; 05-30-2019 at 03:24 PM. Reason: spell
05-29-2019, 11:26 PM   #30
Pentaxian

Yes,thats what i thought.

Ive seen no information of any RAW video capability,Its a basic 4K(at release, log +film simulations) but may go higher in the future.

The gfx100 will attract some professionals and the advanced amateur that can take advantage of what it does.As you say,the Pro will know the computing requirements,some of the amateurs will need to upgrade.

Who will buy it?

Well, the Fuji executives were surprised at the amount of 50S models they sold and theyve said the 50R has sold well too.Their market research tells them that 70% who have bought into the 2 introductory bodies came from FF(probably CaNikony).

It cotalotta,no doubt...15-20K to get started with native glass.
It seems to be quite popular MF(crop) for sure and if one has lenses already, why not to upgrade. Actually I don’t believe that they will unleash more than 4 K with this model. They might need to upgrade their chip. That would mean GFX100R model to surface when 6 or 8K is needed.