Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2019, 03:26 PM - 1 Like   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
a firstlook review from one of the better people.

05-30-2019, 03:29 PM - 1 Like   #32
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Fujifilm GFX 100: HANDS-ON first-looks review - YouTube a firstlook review from one of the better people.
For medium format shooters (and anyone with that kind of money for a camera / system), it looks great. Sadly, I'll have to rely on a lottery win if I'm ever to justify that kind of money. But still... nice gear
05-30-2019, 03:39 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
For medium format shooters (and anyone with that kind of money for a camera / system), it looks great. Sadly, I'll have to rely on a lottery win if I'm ever to justify that kind of money. But still... nice gear
You may get some badger to sell your "hasel bad" to?
05-30-2019, 03:56 PM   #34
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

You may get some badger to sell your "hasel bad" to?
Not in a million... my HV is staying right here, with me. I knew most of its quirks and limitations when I bought it, and I treasure it. Fantastic camera to shoot with, it produces wonderful photos (especially with the Sony Zeiss 24-70 f/2.8 SSM and some other great glass I've accumulated), and I love the fact that it's a "black sheep" of the Hasselblad family.

Some time ago, I grew beyond chasing specifications... For most (not all, but most) of us, I believe it's pretty meaningless, except for bragging rights and ego boosting. Very few folks can and will make use of the extreme specifications increasingly on offer.

I just shoot whatever gear I like, now. It's very liberating, great fun, and generally quite pocket-friendly. My 10MP APS-C Samsung GX-10 and 24MP Hasselblad HV are awesome cameras to me, and that's what really matters.

If I happen to win the lottery, I'll treat myself to that 100MP Fuji monster just for kicks... but I'll still shoot my 24MP Hasselblad HV and enjoy every minute of it

Last edited by BigMackCam; 05-30-2019 at 04:03 PM.
05-30-2019, 04:05 PM   #35
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I'll treat myself to that 100MP Fuji monster
Yes,its a monster in performance.Size and weight are slightly bigger than the Olympus and a smidgen smaller that the big CaNiks.

Ive seen(in reviews) what the pretend Hassy can do,so i understand your liking for it.

We are blessed with whats available,it;ll be interesting what RI bring for the 100th?
05-31-2019, 03:20 AM   #36
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
pretty good hands on. nothing about that image quality yet. Yeah, even if I had the money, I would not go here. It is pretty darn good, but somethingis still missing. Things that are available nowand perhaps in couple yrs, it is overwhelming. But for video there is way better options, but if you wan’t mediumformat look, then not so many. For stills there are several also.

it is funny that his hands begins to shake after a while. that says a lot about the weight. even if it is handholdable in shooting and filming, it seems quite cumbersome. weight is same as other big MF digital cameras.

but as said before, it is interesting times, who knows what will be on the table in coupleofyrs..
05-31-2019, 04:03 AM   #37
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
it is interesting times, who knows what will be on the table in coupleofyrs..
Yes,the mind boggles.

Release firmware isnt completed and Fuji will add features as time goes by.Pixelshift/hi Res is one they are working on and those files wont be small.

06-06-2019, 04:48 PM   #38
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The development process.

Probably(or possibly) the 100 will be on sale this month,depending on the development of release firmware.

Here is the first of a 2 part doco of how the evolution happened.

06-20-2019, 02:17 PM   #39
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Part 2

---------- Post added 06-21-19 at 08:21 AM ----------

06-21-2019, 03:23 AM   #40
Pentaxian

For me the GFX100 is the only new camera of 2018/2019 (except the S1R). Looking at all mirrorless models from Canon, Nikon and Sony, they all take what previous DSLR models did, replace the OVF by EVF, eventually remove an SD card slot or two. At least the GFX100 is the first MF crop camera that boast 100Mp, with questionable usability because pixel pixel is event smaller than that of the 5DSr already a headache for the selection of lenses that deliver @ 50Mp. The GFX50 and X1D weren't bringing anything new since they reused what the 645z used a few years earlier (same 51Mp CMOS sensor), I don't consider EVF as a game changer for photographic output. On the GFX100, IBIS is great , PDAF is great, 100Mp is questionable, but the non-removable battery pack is a pain.
06-29-2019, 10:43 AM   #41
Veteran Member

https://www.fujirumors.com/fujifilm-gfx100-orders-triple-fujifilms-forecast-...status-update/
GFX-100 pre-orders triple expectations.

---------- Post added 06-29-19 at 12:46 PM ----------

Ken Wheeler is just about too sleazy watch.
06-29-2019, 04:32 PM   #42
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Just close your eyes!
06-29-2019, 04:40 PM   #43
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Just close your eyes!
This would be the guy that claims to be the first person in the entire world - ever - to truly discover the secrets of magnetism...

Closing our eyes doesn't really work with this guy. I might suggest not opening and watching his videos (photography-related and otherwise) or any other of his highly questionable output. I mean, he occasionally makes some interesting observations, but... "even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day"
06-29-2019, 04:46 PM   #44
Pentaxian

Original Poster
he occasionally makes some interesting observations, but.
But,you have watched all his stuff to make that observation?....I haven't and wont,but i'll watch stuff that's relevant to photography.

---------- Post added 06-30-19 at 10:47 AM ----------

"even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day"
Not on military time!
06-29-2019, 04:59 PM   #45
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

But,you have watched all his stuff to make that observation?....I haven't and wont,but i'll watch stuff that's relevant to photography.
Not all of it, but a fair bit of it. More than enough, I'd say. You get a much better picture of who he is and what he's like if you dig back further than his photography videos (his Buddhism and pseudo-science stuff, for instance). It's fascinating (if laughable, yet slightly disturbing) viewing. He's intelligent (but not clever), egotistical, delusional and almost certainly has some other psychological disorders. And he spreads both information and disinformation in equal measure with gay abandon, like some self-appointed authority. The problem is, some folks are gullible enough to actually listen to him and take him at face value... I wouldn't ask him for directions, let alone reliable information on anything about photography / science / anything else...