Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2019, 09:54 AM - 1 Like   #1

Photos: Gallery
Nikon [5] vs Pentax [1]

Nikon Xhas announcedX Is "rumored to possibly" be releasing 2 new models for 2019 Z5 (APS-C) & Z9 (Pro body) with a 2020 release of a Z3 (DX Entry level) model - based on an article in Digital Camera World.
That makes 5 new Nikon bodies in 2 years ...

Pentax .... [crickets chirping] ... still "working" on something.

I realize that when you only have a single digit market share, the dollars are not there for R&D like the big brands. As they say, "Quality takes time!" It would be nice to even have a tease marketing program to give us some hope and excitement. Pentax always produces a high quality, unique, durable product and I always land on the same decision when I consider changing brands ... Pentax provides the best bang for the buck!!.

Let's hope the gang at Pentax introduce something more tangible than a software upgrade in the next 12 months!

Last edited by R. Wethereyet; 06-05-2019 at 01:33 PM.
06-05-2019, 10:20 AM - 4 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Regarding Pentax, we have to wait end of 2019. No matter how many engineering staff, there is a cycle time for design and making a new camera model , let say 18 months add or remove 6 months (camera redo => 12 months, complete redesign of everything 24 months). If there is still nothing end 2019, I'll consider that Pentax has ended. It's too early to come to a valid conclusion for Pentax.

---------- Post added 05-06-19 at 19:22 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by R. Wethereyet Quote
Nikon has announced 2 new models for 2019 Z5 (APS-C) & Z9 (Pro body) with a 2020 release of a Z3 (DX Entry level) model - based on an article in Digital Camera World).That makes 5 new Nikon bodies in 2 years ...
Nikon are losing ground, they have no choice but boost their product lineup or restructure / layoff staff.

Pentax don't have staff to release camera models often, so if they do continue, they have to make bigger technology steps at each new model. Maybe they have nothing to release now because they are working on a 80Mpixel FF camera with new AF system, which for Pentax means completely new image processing plateform and AF processing.

---------- Post added 05-06-19 at 19:30 ----------

My strategy with Pentax: I bought a backup K1 II, so now I have 2 bodies and 5 lenses, I don't need anything else and I'm satisfied with the images I get from that system. If Pentax release a new body with better AF and frame rate, I'll take a look at it. If Pentax is dead, I won't buy anything to other brands for the next 10 years unless my Pentax system breaks. The camera tech of Pentax K1 already exceeds display media, I won't need to upgrade for a long time.
06-05-2019, 11:34 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Veteran Member

Nikon has announced 2 new models for 2019 Z5 (APS-C) & Z9 (Pro body) with a 2020 release of a Z3 (DX Entry level) model - based on an article in Digital Camera World.
Nikon didn't annouced anything. They're only rumors reported from the Nikon Rumors website... And Nikon Rumors tells these even aren't particularly reliable rumors. So,maybe, maybe not... And Pentax is also runmored to launch some cameras in the next 2 years, particularly if looking at unreliable rumors.

Last edited by CarlJF; 06-05-2019 at 11:54 AM.
06-05-2019, 12:14 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CarlJF Quote
They're only rumors reported from the Nikon Rumors website
Thanks for the update Carl - We/I should be wise enough now to not believe most things until I see the product sitting on the shelves of the local camera store!! :-D

I am still satisfied with my K-3, so no need to go window shopping for quite a while ... except maybe for a new(er) lens or 2.
Let's see, a 24-70mm f/2.8, then a 100mm f/2.8 macro ...
;-)

06-05-2019, 01:06 PM - 3 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Pentax always produces a high quality, unique, durable product and I always land on the same decision when I consider changing brands ... Pentax provides the best bang for the buck!!.
Isn't this the only thing that really matters?

The quantity of all the new models rumored or released has no effect on a person's photography. It's just makes more noise and web-clicks.

But the quality and affordability of that one special model does enable improvement.
06-05-2019, 01:19 PM - 4 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Let's hope the gang at Pentax introduce something more tangible than a software upgrade in the next 12 months!
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Regarding Pentax, we have to wait end of 2019. No matter how many engineering staff, there is a cycle time for design and making a new camera model , let say 18 months add or remove 6 months (camera redo => 12 months, complete redesign of everything 24 months). If there is still nothing end 2019, I'll consider that Pentax has ended. It's too early to come to a valid conclusion for Pentax
There is an old story about jungle animals comparing size of their litters. The doe said "I have two fawns", then various other mothers spoke up. Finally, the Lioness said, "I have only one cub, but he is a Lion". I don't see any point in comparing numbers of cameras released. When Pentax has a serious improvement, they release a camera body; I wouldn't want them to release something that isn't ready yet. I believe something unexpected happened with the K-3ii replacement - that Pentax never intended to leave those shelves bare for such a long period of time - but Pentax has said they are working on it - they haven't quit on us and I see no reason for us to quit on them.
06-05-2019, 01:31 PM - 4 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

Nikon has announced 2 new models for 2019 Z5 (APS-C) & Z9 (Pro body) with a 2020 release of a Z3 (DX Entry level) model - based on an article in Digital Camera World.

Pentax .... [crickets chirping] ... still "working" on something.

I realize that when you only have a single digit market share, the dollars are not there for R&D like the big brands. As they say, "Quality takes time!" It would be nice to even have a tease marketing program to give us some hope and excitement. Pentax always produces a high quality, unique, durable product and I always land on the same decision when I consider changing brands ... Pentax provides the best bang for the buck!!.

I'm thinking of asking for a ban on comparing Pentax to other camera companies. After more than 10 years of the forum... seriously, I've had enough.

So my question relevent to the thread is did any of those Nikon bodies have IBIS creating shake reduction on even screw mount lenses? Pixel shift? Astro tracer? A complete lineup of WR lenses both APS-c and FF. Are they still behind in their development of APS-c dedicated lenses?

Or is Nikon just going to endlessly release half developed cameras that don't meet some of my needs? They could hit 50 friggin new releases, they still don't touch all the bases.

As I said, many times in the last couple of weeks there are some thing Pentax doesn't do as well as Nikon, but there are other things Pentx does that Nikon doesn't do at all. So your choice is probably "good enough but not the best in some areas, exceptional in others (Pentax)", or" better in some areas, no capability at all in others. (Nikon.)" Your choice, I don't care what you decide.

Exactly what is the point of comparing Pentax to Canon, Nikon, Sony, whoever based on what they do that Pentax doesn't do, if you don't acknowledge the things Pentax does, they don't do? And the whole "Pentax only competes on price" thing is false, getting old, and worth having an auto-delete same as the one for bad language.

If you want something else go get it. Why trouble us with your indecision? You appreciate the unique things the brand has to offer, or you don't It's as simple as that. If you don't, you're better off with something else. I'm not giving up Pixel Shift, which has a K-1 competing in IQ with a D850, because some other camera company releases 5 bodies in two years, if none of those bodies competes in all the areas I want them to compete.

Reminds me about time a Baptist Minister offered to debate me on capital punishment using only the bible for reference. He came over and said how many references do you have? I said 8, he said, I have 13 I win. What an awesome debate. <sarcasm>.

So intellectually challenging.

Last edited by normhead; 06-05-2019 at 01:57 PM.
06-05-2019, 01:34 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Isn't this the only thing that really matters?...

I would agree!!
06-05-2019, 01:36 PM - 3 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

We are nearly at the halfway mark of the Pentax (actually Asahi Optical Company) centenary and the cupboard is still bare...
06-05-2019, 01:36 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Pentax has said they are working on it - they haven't quit on us and I see no reason for us to quit on them.
Very good perspective.

---------- Post added 06-05-19 at 02:43 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I'm thinking of asking for a ban on comparing Pentax to other camera companies. After more than 10 years of the forum... seriously, I've had enough.
Norm, The Pentax vs Others is very similar to the Ford vs Chevy discussion that you hear around the BBQ every year since 19XX; or comparing the weather this year to "that storm we had back in '05" ;-) There is no right answer and there are an infinite number of variations of the story. - That being said, I realize my folly in posting this thread - my apologies!
06-05-2019, 02:06 PM - 3 Likes   #11
Pentaxian

Very good perspective.

---------- Post added 06-05-19 at 02:43 PM ----------

Norm, The Pentax vs Others is very similar to the Ford vs Chevy discussion that you hear around the BBQ every year since 19XX; or comparing the weather this year to "that storm we had back in '05" ;-) There is no right answer and there are an infinite number of variations of the story. - That being said, I realize my folly in posting this thread - my apologies!
You caught me in the middle of a brutal cold. Don't worry about it. Lot's of people have found out what I really think the last couple of days.
06-05-2019, 02:14 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nikon is releasing mirrorless versions of their SLR cameras that in many ways are slightly worse than the SLR cameras are. And they aren't selling as many of them as they would like.

As much as I would like Pentax to release new camera bodies and lenses, I want them to do it in a sustainable fashion.
06-05-2019, 03:51 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If they are Z series I assume mirrorless. Also the Z series so far has had IBIS which is a welcome improvement in my mind.

But in the vein of the OP if Ricoh Pentax had the money I'd love to see:

K3-3 (K3 II replacement that has many of the K1 features at the reduced r&d incremental cost. )

645z2 (full 645 size wafer 100mp)

K02 (mirrorless full frame or crop using K mount lenses - not for size but for those who love evf)

85mm f1.4 at same grade as DFA 50 1.4

135 F2 (As above)

24mm f2 (As above)

20mm f2.8 (maybe f3.5)

600mm f4

800mm f5.6

Revised 200 and 300mm dfa lenses using Fresnel lenses.

Revised fast motor 50-135 60-250

Sharper 16-50
Light sharp 24-70 f4
Fast 70-210 f4 sharp

But I'm not complaining. That's just my dream...

Last edited by UncleVanya; 06-06-2019 at 08:02 PM.
06-05-2019, 03:59 PM - 2 Likes   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Nikon is releasing mirrorless versions of their SLR cameras that in many ways are slightly worse than the SLR cameras are. And they aren't selling as many of them as they would like.

As much as I would like Pentax to release new camera bodies and lenses, I want them to do it in a sustainable fashion.
Past events have indicated, whatever they're working on, they keep going until the get it right and they don't do anything until they have something worth releasing. For some of us, we just know, it takes as long as it takes. When you think that these cameras will be sold for probably the next 7 years, 2 before the version II is released and possibly 3 to 5 after that, it's going to durable, there are going to be a couple of surprises and it's going to be worth the wait.

I'm done listening to the nay sayers, they've never been right. Pentax doesn't always come through in a timely manner, but they always come through.
06-05-2019, 04:57 PM - 3 Likes   #15
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ah good. Another thread that's almost guaranteed to bring out the doom and gloom merchants.