Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 73 Likes Search this Thread
06-07-2019, 05:29 AM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Really. So a wedding photographer is going to keep a tablet in a back pack for backup? And these RAW files are going to "instantaneously" transfer to that tablet, actually make a memory card completely unnecessary? From what I can tell, the RAW files from the Z7 are 85-ish megabytes. It is hard for me to imagine a 10 shot burst of those going instantly to anything that isn't wired to the camera.

But I guess keep those rose colored MILC specs on for now...
The comment about instant transfer had me scratching my head also. Jpg only would be perhaps ok, but raw files are far from instant as you point out.

06-07-2019, 06:12 AM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
actually make a memory card completely unnecessary?
Only you could think that one up.

So a wedding photographer is going to keep a tablet in a back pack for backup?
Wherever they like if its within 200m.

And these RAW files are going to "instantaneously" transfer to that tablet,
The transfer starts when the recording starts,thats one of the features.You,didnt know?

But I guess keep those rose colored MILC specs on for now
Ha Ha,never needed specs and thats why i just love those EVFs
06-07-2019, 08:32 AM   #48

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
To be fair, Ricoh did release the Gr III which has been at or near the top of the bestselling lists in many countries.

Thanks - Point taken - There has been lots of positive response to the GR III since it's release. Great addition to that area of the market.
06-07-2019, 08:34 AM   #49
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ian Stuart Forsyth Quote
There is a real narrow band that the astro photographers would use the astro tracer. F
Doesn't matter, I can try it for free. Spending $400-$600 just isn't an option, and for my needs, it may be all I need. WIth Nikon, you have one choice, spend $400-$600. It's amazing how quick you are to start downplaying the significance of Pentax features.

But understandable. It's hard to appreciate the value of something you've never used, especially if your camera doesn't have it so you can't even try it out. No one cares if you can make up reasons why you don't think much of astrotracer. We want to know how we can use it. As usual, you don't know how to use a Pentax, you only know why we shouldn't.

It's a non-argument that would say something isn't useful because something better exists. It just doesn't make any sense. Even if you owned tracking equipment, my guess is there would be times when astrotracer would be a welcome shortcut, because the image in question just isn't all that demanding.

After all the big advantage to astrotracer is that you only need your camera and the same tripod you carry every day.

Astrotracer isn't for astro-photographers, it's for people like myself who want to take images with my tripod and camera, better than what a Nikon Canon or Sony shooter can take with their tripod and camera.

Last edited by normhead; 06-07-2019 at 08:48 AM.
06-07-2019, 02:04 PM   #50
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Only you could think that one up.

Wherever they like if its within 200m.

The transfer starts when the recording starts,thats one of the features.You,didnt know?

Ha Ha,never needed specs and thats why i just love those EVFs
I guess I read this quote of yours: "Many havent realised that the connectivity that the CaNik M/L offer is outstanding,instant transfer to the laptop/tablet/phn.The slot in camera is the back up." incorrectly. I had assumed when you said that the slot in the camera is back up that you meant that the memory card was only there to back up what you were transferring to your laptop.

The wifi does take 20 to 25 seconds per raw image from what I can find meaning that it is not useful as a back up device. When people talk about instant transfer they are talking about using Snapbridge to transfer 2 megapixel jpegs.
06-07-2019, 02:46 PM   #51
Pentaxian

The wifi does take 20 to 25 seconds per raw image from what I can find meaning that it is not useful as a back up device.
Only your opinion because of how you think it will be used.It can be used for jpeg only(as well as raw) which means the 2nd card slot isn't needed and its relatively quick.Well quicker than raw.So raw remains in the XQD,jpg in laptop.
06-07-2019, 03:10 PM   #52
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Only your opinion because of how you think it will be used.It can be used for jpeg only(as well as raw) which means the 2nd card slot isn't needed and its relatively quick.Well quicker than raw.So raw remains in the XQD,jpg in laptop.
My opinion matters to me. I think I will cease to post in response to your posts. Probably better for us both.

06-07-2019, 03:28 PM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I may sound like rambling, but for me the enlightenment came with making large prints from the Pentax K1 (no even shot with ES or pixel shift, just normal single frames). XL print of images captured with the D-FA*70-200 on the K1, my first reaction when I spread the print on the table is "Wow... wow". Making large prints invalidate a lot of virtual talk we read online: things like the accelerator remove details or Pentax is lagging behind with medium format look at what Fuji are doing etc. You don't need to have 3, 4, 5 models of camera, 1 good model is enough. Making large prints stops the questioning about camera equipment, if the print doesn't look good the problem isn't the Pentax camera, the problem is elsewhere..
I may and may not agree with most of what you stated. We all have opinions but opinions are not facts. There is a lot that can be debated about many of the things you stated. A real issue that I and many others simply cannot tolerate is weight and bulk. Full frame cameras tend to fall into that category. Some of us are extremely happy with the APS-C format and have no desire to go full frame. I do not think 1 good model is good enough, but that's me. I like my Pentax, but as i stated many times "I'm a realist". I want to see some signs of life from Pentax. I am extremely frustrated with this stagnant period. I have every right to be frustrated and I wont make excuses for Pentax. Ricoh has options, they can sell the name to a company geared to move forward. Just my 2 cents. i would love to see a high powered mover take over the Pentax name.
06-07-2019, 03:44 PM   #54
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kevinWE Quote
I may and may not agree with most of what you stated. We all have opinions but opinions are not facts. There is a lot that can be debated about many of the things you stated. A real issue that I and many others simply cannot tolerate is weight and bulk. Full frame cameras tend to fall into that category. Some of us are extremely happy with the APS-C format and have no desire to go full frame. I do not think 1 good model is good enough, but that's me. I like my Pentax, but as i stated many times "I'm a realist". I want to see some signs of life from Pentax. I am extremely frustrated with this stagnant period. I have every right to be frustrated and I wont make excuses for Pentax. Ricoh has options, they can sell the name to a company geared to move forward. Just my 2 cents. i would love to see a high powered mover take over the Pentax name.
I doubt a "high powered mover" would interested in Pentax, but if by some weird chance they were and they were following the prevailing winds the first two things they would do are (a) ditch the k mount for a new shorter registration distance mount and (b) move total focus away from APS-C development to full frame. That is basically what Canon, Sony, and Nikon are doing. The only companies that are actually working on APS-C products are Fuji and Pentax. Pentax just is slow about it.
06-07-2019, 03:55 PM   #55
Pentaxian

i would love to see a high powered mover take over the Pentax name.
The problem is "who" would want to buy the brand?
06-07-2019, 04:02 PM   #56
Veteran Member

The problem is "who" would want to buy the brand?
Most likely you are right, but you never know.

---------- Post added 06-07-19 at 04:13 PM ----------

I doubt a "high powered mover" would interested in Pentax, but if by some weird chance they were and they were following the prevailing winds the first two things they would do are (a) ditch the k mount for a new shorter registration distance mount and (b) move total focus away from APS-C development to full frame. That is basically what Canon, Sony, and Nikon are doing. The only companies that are actually working on APS-C products are Fuji and Pentax. Pentax just is slow about it.
Isn't canon rumored to be releasing a 32.5 aps-c censor? EOS 90D and 7D MKIII possibly in the works?
06-07-2019, 04:21 PM   #57
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Most likely you are right, but you never know.

---------- Post added 06-07-19 at 04:13 PM ----------

Isn't canon rumored to be releasing a 32.5 aps-c censor? EOS 90D and 7D MKIII possibly in the works?
Who knows? Canon Rumors doesn't seem to think there is a 7D III coming... Canon EOS 7D Mark III – Canon Rumors CO
06-07-2019, 04:28 PM   #58
Pentaxian

but you never know.
Yes, Ricoh bought in for whatever reason.Maybe due to their use of K mount(nostalgia)?

$ony have developed a similar sensor,it maybe in the looming APSc flagship that could come 2nd half of this year?Theres a remote possibility that sensor could be in a RI product.

Nikon are rumoured to have a Z mount M/L APSc in the development stages as well.

So 3 Dslr and 4 M/L contenders in the crop sensor genre.
06-07-2019, 08:17 PM   #59
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I like my Pentax, but as i stated many times "I'm a realist". I want to see some signs of life from Pentax. I am extremely frustrated with this stagnant period. I have every right to be frustrated and I wont make excuses for Pentax. Ricoh has options, they can sell the name to a company geared to move forward. Just my 2 cents. i would love to see a high powered mover take over the Pentax name.
Ricoh is a company with an annual revenue of 2.063 trillion yen and a nett profit of 68.562 billion yen. (Year ended March 31, 2018) (0.6 billion US$)
How much more "high powered mover" do you want?
06-07-2019, 09:24 PM   #60
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I agree. It's just that surfar is our resident MILC proponent and he is always posting these sorts of videos.
Yep, real Pravda-style propaganda, Vincent. He should post photos and videos he's taken himself, at least that's something to look at, instead of trying to sell m43 to a proud new K-1 owner like he tried in this forum last week. Admin ban stuff on other forums, surely - I reckon he'd be 'out the airlock without a spacesuit' on the Pentaxians FB site!

Zero credibility, I'm afraid.

Last edited by clackers; 06-07-2019 at 09:35 PM.