Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2019, 08:02 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
The New 600mm lens doens't need to be best in class, it just needs to be the best option for a Sony system shooter.
For people who are shooting Sony and want to take advantage of Sony's AF system, your FA glass is irrelevant regardless of how well it does.
That wasn't my point. My point was your analysis is meaningless. Most lenses do very well, that's not a selling point.

So, you're saying this lens is only of interest to those locked into the Sony brand?
For some reason I never assume anyone is locked into any brand, and honestly, If I'm buying a 600 ƒ/4, I'm buying the best performance from any brand. Looking at the results from the 1DX, D4 and A9, I have no idea why anyone would commit to Sony if they didn't have the best lens for the job. Especially since the Nikon D850 looks like the best compromise as a do everything camera with decent AF and Frame rate, and a high resolution image, and some users describe little difference between a 1Dx and A9 in performance.

Your lack of interest in lens quality seems somewhat counter intuitive. It makes wonder me if all Sony users are settling for inferior IQ in favour of bells and whistles.

Last edited by normhead; 06-14-2019 at 08:12 AM.
06-14-2019, 08:07 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Feels like a lot of companies are gearing up to try to have a presence at the Tokyo Olympics. That certainly could be a reason for this sort of release. I don't know what makes a "halo" product. This does feel necessary for Sony to get sports photographers and wildlife photographers. At the same time, I doubt they'll sell many copies.

It is just an expensive lens. It is reasonable compared to other 600mm f4 lenses, but it is still way more than most of us can afford to spend on a lens.
06-14-2019, 08:17 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
That wasn't my point. My point was your analysis is meaningless. Most lenses do very well, that's not a selling point.

So, you're saying this lens is only of interest to those locked into the Sony brand?
For some reason I never assume anyone is locked into any brand, and honestly, If I'm buying a 600 /4, I'm buying the best performance from any brand. Looking at the results from the 1DX, D4 and A9, I have no idea why anyone would commit to Sony if they didn't have the best lens for the job. Especially since the Nikon D850 looks like the best compromise as a do everything camera with decent AF and Frame rate, and a high resolution image.

Your lack of interest in lens quality seems somewhat counter intuitive. It makes wonder me if all Sony users are settling for inferior IQ in favour of bells and whistles.
LOL. The only people interested in this lens are Sony shooters or people switching over to Sony. You can't mount this lens on a Canon or Nikon DSLR.

The lens is a Sony GM lens. IQ is going to be very high. Will it be as good as the Nikon or the Canon? I don't know. I haven't used it. For Sony shooters it will be their best option. I don't have a lack of interest in IQ. Sony isn't going to release a GM lens that doesn't have excellent IQ, so I'm not that worried about it...... Plus I don't need the lens and don't plan on buying it so the IQ is pretty irrelevant to me. Unlike you Norm, I only worry about the lenses that I can use for my work. It's good to see Sony developing new glass and pushing the technology forward. The lens is designed to be used on cameras that focus and track faster than the A9. That is technology that is interesting and can be used in other lenses.
06-14-2019, 08:34 AM   #34
Pentaxian

LOL, again you read what you want into my post.

Unlike you Norm, I only worry about the lenses that I can use for my work.
Yet you post in a general photography forum.

As my studio teacher used to say.
"Find the lens you love, buy the camera it goes on."
A philosophy I've always admired.
Yours seems to be, find the camera you like, buy whatever that company offers.
Given that I've read a couple articles from pros who went from Sony A9s back to their 1Dx bodies, I'm suggesting that viewpoint might be little myopic. Certainly suggesting we take it on faith the the Sony will be good enough for anyone who wants to switch is a little over the top.

I'm sure it won't be awful. That's not what I'm asking.
Pretty clear from your answer though is that you could have just said 'I don't know" instead of getting all dismissive.

All this Winder BS because I asked how good a Sony lens was. And the answer is "all Sony lenses are good enough." Getting awful defensive aren't we?

Apparently, if it's a Sony, it's good enough for you, no further questions will be tolerated without mocking.

Last edited by normhead; 06-14-2019 at 08:50 AM.
06-14-2019, 09:44 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Pretty clear from your answer though is that you could have just said 'I don't know" instead of getting all dismissive
Norm. I'm dismissive because I have no plans on buying the lens much less arguing semantics with you. I don't care how sharp it is or how fast. I won't be buying it. I'm glad they are making it and pushing new technology forward. I'm sure you will find something about that statement to argue about, so have fun.
06-14-2019, 09:51 AM   #36
Pentaxian

Norm. I'm dismissive because I have no plans on buying the lens much less arguing semantics with you. I don't care how sharp it is or how fast. I won't be buying it. I'm glad they are making it and pushing new technology forward. I'm sure you will find something about that statement to argue about, so have fun.
The contradictions just keep on piling up. Too funny.

Have to ask.. if it's not fast, if it's not sharp, how is it pushing technology forward?

Here's what I was looking for......
https://www.imaging-resource.com/lenses/sony/fe-600mm-f4-gm-oss/review/

Last edited by normhead; 06-14-2019 at 10:52 AM.
06-14-2019, 10:52 AM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
The contradictions just keep on piling up. Too funny.

Have to ask.. if it's not fast, if it's not sharp, how is it pushing technology forward?

Here's what I was looking for......
Sony FE 600mm f/4 GM OSS SEL600F40GM Review
I guess we will find out.
06-14-2019, 12:53 PM   #38
Pentaxian

I guess we will find out.
Did you see the sample photos, nothing wrong with those.