Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2019, 09:44 AM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Maybe so, but this is a company who had Zack Arias do a hit video job on full frame cameras with the video "Crop or Crap?" I won't link to it, but basically he argued that there was much less difference between APS-C and full frame than between APS-C and something like large format (which isn't even available in digital).

I don't really care. Fuji has a group of dedicated followers who love their ethos. It isn't really my thing, but I just see them as attempting to spin all their actions in glowing terms. X Trans isn't actually a whole better than standard Bayer Array, medium format isn't a full frame replacement, and APS-C isn't as good as full frame, even though they have implied that all of those things are true.
I've read some Russian folks claiming that pictures from Fuji crop and Nikon FF are practically the same Just marketing stuff. By the way, when Pentax offered nothing for a FF for a decade, didn't any Pentax representative tell the same about crop vs FF in order to justify FF lack?

I own both Pentax and Fuji and love them both though they are different. And I don't need these marketing fairy-tales to justify owning a Fuji The main difference between Pentax and Fuji crop systems is that Fuji is really all-around whereas even Pentax crops are primarily for still shooters (you can do rapid things and video with Pentax, too, but Fuji does that better and more safe for your nervous system). And that all-around Fuji crop system is cheaper than its FF analogs from Canon / Nikon / Sony.

P.S. Actually, Fuji MF can be a Pentax FF replacement (when AF is of lower importance). In some 5-7 years used GFX 50s will cost not much more than new FFs...

06-17-2019, 10:14 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Coiseam Quote
In some 5-7 years used GFX 50s will cost not much more than new FFs...
Always. That's a catch 22.
06-17-2019, 10:17 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've read some Russian folks claiming that pictures from Fuji crop and Nikon FF are practically the same Just marketing stuff. By the way, when Pentax offered nothing for a FF for a decade, didn't any Pentax representative tell the same about crop vs FF in order to justify FF lack?

I own both Pentax and Fuji and love them both though they are different. And I don't need these marketing fairy-tales to justify owning a Fuji The main difference between Pentax and Fuji crop systems is that Fuji is really all-around whereas even Pentax crops are primarily for still shooters (you can do rapid things and video with Pentax, too, but Fuji does that better and more safe for your nervous system). And that all-around Fuji crop system is cheaper than its FF analogs from Canon / Nikon / Sony.

P.S. Actually, Fuji MF can be a Pentax FF replacement (when AF is of lower importance). In some 5-7 years used GFX 50s will cost not much more than new FFs...
I'm not sure what Pentax representatives ever said because I never met one, but I certainly never heard anyone say that APS-C was as good as full frame. At most they ever said that APS-C was good enough and some weird things about "extra reach" with APS-C.

As far as Fuji MF cost in 5 to 7 years, the issue is that then you are getting a 5 year old medium format MILC to compare to whatever current generation full frame is. And even if the Fuji drops into the 2500 dollar range, the glass is still going to be quite expensive.

Anyway, I think I should bow out of this thread. Fuji's statements just tend to rile me a bit.
06-17-2019, 10:21 AM   #19

Fuji's statements just tend to rile me a bit.
I'm a bit upset because Pentax could be on Fuji's place. A story of lost marketing opportunities.

06-17-2019, 10:22 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm a bit upset because Pentax could be on Fuji's place. A story of lost marketing opportunities.
The difference is Instax money and investment.
06-17-2019, 10:28 AM   #21
Pentaxian

I find the talk in this thread a little bit funny and mostly ignoring that the source BCN explicitly attributed Fuji’s growth to Instax film cameras NOT to any of their mirrorless systems.
So fuji / mirrorless fanboys need to calm down a bit.
The data presented shows zero evidence Fuji mirrorless is not shrinking like the others.
06-17-2019, 11:19 AM   #22

I've just googled about Instax. Wow, I've never thought it is that popular. I've never seen anyone with it in my 15-million home city.

06-17-2019, 11:28 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I'm not surprised at all at how well Fujifilm are doing. It's several years since they stole the crown of "system" from Pentax. I think it shows what can be done when the company policy is that they will absolutely not go to FF for an extra edge and will build the best possible system around APS-C.

I'd love to see Pentax make a good attempt at fighting back to re-take the crown but they show no sign of doing so.
Fuji did get the coveted crown....what august body gave Fuji the crown of best APS-C camera system ? I check the news quite frequently...Reuters, NYT. Daily News, etc...nowhere and I mean nowhere did I find any reporting on this event.

I got close to buying a Fuji X something a few months ago as I wanted a small carry around, high quality camera. I was impressed with the different models I handled, but in the end I bought a new old stock Ricoh GR ll, which I'm happy with.

I do recall Fuji before...mostly were medium format film, little point and shoots and made very good lens for large format...but they weren't a force in the camera market...way back when.

In the past decade or so, they have really got their act together and came up with their X series. I found the look of the camera...very Leica Range finder look...appealing, especially at a greatly reduced cost compared to a Leica RF. Also the high quality...fast... lenses, such as the 56mm, 90mm, 21mm (think it's a 21). That also appeals to me.

Fuji also has done remarkably successful marketing...their image, at least in my mind is a camera...small...high quality...something easy to carry around with you, something that looks relatively chic...all good things for certain demographics with good cash flow.

As it was, my particular cash flow didn't empty into Fuji's coffers....Ricoh was able to acquire those moneys...as I being a Pentaxian succumbed to the siren call of Ricoh.
06-17-2019, 11:34 AM - 1 Like   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've just googled about Instax. Wow, I've never thought it is that popular. I've never seen anyone with it in my 15-million home city.
I haven't either, but I think we just hand in the wrong circles. They made Fuji 450 million last year.

Fujifilm instax cameras sales hit 900,000 a month, thanks to Taylor Swift | Digital Camera World
06-17-2019, 12:19 PM   #25

I haven't either, but I think we just hand in the wrong circles. They made Fuji 450 million last year.

Fujifilm instax cameras sales hit 900,000 a month, thanks to Taylor Swift | Digital Camera World
Plus they produce photo paper for them... I've recently got a 30*45 cm print of one of my pics, for 2 USD. For the same price (here in Russia) I can print from 2 to 3 Instax pics. I just can't justify its photo paper's cost, way too expensive if shoot frequently. But it can be kinda nice toy