Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2019, 10:35 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks again for all the replies. I'm going to post a couple of more "sets" tomorrow in order to get a little more, for want of a better term, "peer review", but a clear trend is developing.

06-20-2019, 10:56 PM - 1 Like   #17
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I vote for #2 in all sets. It has the best 3D feel in its rendering. Clouds in the mountain shots are way better than with other two.

#1 comes close behind. I don't like the rendering of #3, so to me it's clearly the worst choice.
06-21-2019, 10:43 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Second to last set...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-TS2  Photo     
06-21-2019, 10:51 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
One of the cameras in it's full auto mode won't allow the flash to be disabled. I've never been a full auto kinda guy, though, and in "P" mode the flash can be disabled. Nevertheless I was testing the cameras' full auto modes, so the flash stays which makes these three more apple, oranges, and durian than the others.

The final set of three...

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-TS2  Photo     
06-22-2019, 09:05 AM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

You should be asking which lens do we like the best.
06-22-2019, 11:36 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
You should be asking which lens do we like the best.
These are fixed lens cameras.
06-22-2019, 01:10 PM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Set 1, #1. Set 2, #2. Set 3, #1. Set #4, #1 (the one on the left). Set #5, 3.

06-22-2019, 01:41 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
These two were the top picks so I did a tiny bit of an adjustment to one or both. Which do you prefer? I'll explain everything Sunday night.
Attached Images

Last edited by MD Optofonik; 06-23-2019 at 11:27 PM.
06-22-2019, 02:19 PM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
After seeing all the sets, I think Camera 1 is the clear winner overall. It's the only one that really delivers anything close to what most people would expect from a digital camera these days.

Camera 2 is so boring that I can't even think about it without falling asleep. It's just mush.

And of course Camera 3 is hopeless in many ways too: pink colour cast, blown highlights, banding, you name it. But darn it, I like Camera 3. I like its rendering style best of them all, even with the colour cast (which would be easy to correct anyway). So even though Camera 1 is clearly the best, if I had to shoot with one of them I'd choose Camera 3.
06-23-2019, 06:58 PM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster

1. Lumix TS2
  2. Olympus Tough 8000
  3. Canon A95

I purchased the TS2 because of a TS1 I owned awhile back and sorely missed. I originally bought it as a rainproof pocket camera for use during a 45 day train trip around the U.S.during the late fall and early winter of 2009. This time around I wanted a "proper" camera for hiking that was pocketable and tough enough to withstand the elements and some abuse. I couldn't find a used TS1 in good condition so I got a TS2 instead.

The Oly was the camera that got beat out by the TS1 back in the aforementioned day. Unlike the TS1 it's crushproof to 220 lbs. As much as I wanted to keep the Oly it's IQ wasn't as good as the TS1 so I returned it. If I could have afforded both at the time I would have kept the Oly as well. I liked it's form factor better than the TS1 and, now, the TS2. Although not as sharp when compared to the TS1 or TS2, the Oly's color saturation is a bit more accurate and, overall, images are good enough to preserve the kind moments for which it was designed to capture. The Oly takes pictures in places where other cameras shouldn't go (including the TS2) and, for snapshots, they look just fine.

The A95 was a camera I had become a bit nostalgic for and my original one was long kaput but I still have all the accessories including an underwater housing. It was cheap to get used so I did. I now suspect, however, that most of these are so old that they will all have problems of one sort or another. One other thing that it had going for it beyond being cheap as chips was a full manual control setting. However, since it doesn't work on any setting due to a bad sensor, I wasted $25. I least I cured myself of any nostalgia for it.

It was interesting for me to make some comparisons and I appreciate folks who indulged me and offered their opinions. The A95 is getting binned but I will still keep an eye out for a good CCD pocket camera from back in the day that can be had cheap. As for the other two, unlike 10 years ago, I can afford to keep both so I will.

Those last two landscape pictures I posted have been edited in GIMP with only one step each. I adjusted the exposure of one and applied unsharp mask to the other. I consider both usable for intended purposes but the TS2 is the better image overall.

Last edited by MD Optofonik; 06-23-2019 at 09:30 PM.
06-24-2019, 01:20 AM   #26
Pentaxian

It's been a really enjoyable test and I'm glad you did it. And finding out that Camera 3 was a vintage CCD confirms my own weird liking for those photos. I'm just a CCD nut at heart.

For a vintage pocket-sized CCD, I can highly recommend the 9 megapixel Fuji E900. You get full manual controls and it can shoot raw.
11-29-2019, 06:51 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Set 1: #1
Set 2: #2
Set 3: #1

QuoteQuote:
Looking at the date of the last post, I guess I'll have to look at the Exif for the final reveal!
Just noticed there's more than 1 page.

---------- Post added 29-11-19 at 15:05 ----------

Fun thread. Thanks!

It's interesting to see we share some common past:
1- My first compact digital (not counting a massive SONY Mavica that would save onto floppy disks) was a Canon PowerShot A410. With it's 3.2MP it took beautiful pictures (or so I remember, I'll have to dig some up) and, from what I recall, it allowed a fair amount of manual control. I remember controlling exposure time manually for night shots. I liked it so much that I still keep it (it still works, sort of) and Canon was my compact camera brand until I turned to DSLR (when I changed to Nikon). It wasn't until I started shooting film and started buying SMC M lenses that I turned to Pentax for DSLR as well.
2- And I also have a Lumix TS3, which is now the only underwater camera I own. I like it and it's nice and sturdy but I always thought it had too much problems with glare. In any case, it's the one that's survived so I guess that has to count for something!

Last edited by miguelfenoglio; 11-29-2019 at 07:07 AM. Reason: Noticed there was more than 1 page