Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2019, 03:49 AM   #31

Regarding smartphones, maybe I'm naive, but who wouldn't prefer to post a photo directly from their Ricoh GR III or Pentax KP rather than a photo from their smartphone if the process was just as fast?

08-29-2019, 04:11 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You have two or three very defined segments for phones:
-People who want a smartphone for apps/Internet browsing. Everything is an extra (myself with my ~150-200€ phones every ~3 years)
-People who want something that is outrageously good because they either need to compensate or they work on/with the phone 24/7 (the P30/S10+/Latest iPhone crowd). If it doesn't have wireless charging (which... is not really wireless?) it's A RELIC OF THE PASSSSSTT (hah, kinda like the MILC sales pitch).

Maybe, some people in between. To the first crowd, a camera "good enough for the screen" is enough. For the others, they have to have a gajillion cameras with 50 different scene modes whether it makes better pictures or not.
08-30-2019, 04:48 AM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by larryaustin3 Quote
Regarding smartphones, maybe I'm naive, but who wouldn't prefer to post a photo directly from their Ricoh GR III or Pentax KP rather than a photo from their smartphone if the process was just as fast?
These days with wifi in cameras or SD cards it's very easy to do this. Most of my photos don't go through a traditional computer at all before being shared.

The only thing is that phones tend to produce photos which are deemed more suitable for social media or mass taste - over-sharpened, over-saturated, overly contrasty. A lot of people do that with standalone cameras though.
08-30-2019, 12:46 PM   #34
Pentaxian

We're living in an era where cameras from 2012 are not that far off on IQ from the latest and greatest releases. I think people, especially hobbyists, have less and less reason to upgrade.

It's why these companies are trying to sell "features" now. Even going as far as rebranding face detect to the fancier sounding "Eye-AF".
Then with these swaths of new features, while great for your working professional who lives or dies on getting the shot it isn't necessarily that interesting or involved to anyone but phallus wavers on DPreview.

In my speculation filled mind this is (part of) why the "Film Renaissance" has been happening. It might sound crazy but I think there's a lot of people that like to do things themselves and not have the camera perform 99% of the functions. Hell even framing has gone out the window with these giant megapickle behemoths.

Last edited by ZombieArmy; 08-30-2019 at 01:00 PM.