Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2019, 09:45 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Sigma 35mm F/1.2 ART lens for Sony FE Mount

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-sigma-will-soon-launch-the-fastest-fe-au...-1-2-fe-prime/

I'm sure this will be a huge, heavy lens and I don't know if the difference between F/1.2 & F/1.4 is going to be enough to justify it, but we will see.

06-24-2019, 12:15 PM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Impressive. That said, like you I wonder if the difference between f/1.2 and f/1.4 is going to justify the size and cost difference. Still, some folks will buy it "just because"... and I'd love to see what it's capable of at f/1.2, but especially stopped down to, say, f/2 - where you'd expect it should perform very well. It's kind of moot, really, as I have no FE lenses and don't plan on changing that.
06-24-2019, 02:16 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-sigma-will-soon-launch-the-fastest-fe-au...-1-2-fe-prime/

I'm sure this will be a huge, heavy lens and I don't know if the difference between F/1.2 & F/1.4 is going to be enough to justify it, but we will see.
It sounds like it is a dedicated mirrorless design, so it might be smaller and lighter than Sigmas present 35/1.4 FE lens. It will be interesting how they will price this f/1.2 lens.
06-24-2019, 02:19 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It would be interesting to see a brief on how the design differs when Sigma makes a modern, mirrorless lens vs. a modern, SLR lens. Registration distance changes obviously but the degree of engineering that goes into making a mirrorless lens perform well specifically for that system might be interesting. Or it might just bore me as it flies over my head, maybe both.

Oh, and for the "is it that much different at 1.2 vs 1.4" folks, I think it should be, kind of like going from an f1.7 to an f2.

06-24-2019, 03:10 PM   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
Oh, and for the "is it that much different at 1.2 vs 1.4" folks, I think it should be, kind of like going from an f1.7 to an f2.
As one of the afore-mentioned "is it that much different at 1.2 vs 1.4" folks, I'd respectfully point out the focal length. A third of a stop is going to gather just a little more light, but on a 35mm lens it's not going to provide much additional subject isolation. If we were talking about a 135mm or even 85mm lens, you might notice a practical and useful difference... but on a 35mm lens? I doubt it. For comparison, we're talking less difference than is noticeable between the DA35 f/2.4 and FA35 f/2.

Where there might be a welcome advantage for the f/1.2 lens is that it could possibly reach better optical performance levels at faster apertures than an f/1.4 model... possibly. That's why I mentioned that I'd be interested to see how it performs at, say, f/2 - especially compared to the very slightly slower model. If there's significantly better optical performance at faster apertures, then - for some - the extra size, weight and cost might be justified...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 06-24-2019 at 03:46 PM.
06-24-2019, 06:33 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
It would be interesting to see a brief on how the design differs when Sigma makes a modern, mirrorless lens vs. a modern, SLR lens. Registration distance changes obviously but the degree of engineering that goes into making a mirrorless lens perform well specifically for that system might be interesting. Or it might just bore me as it flies over my head, maybe both.

The look of going from F/1.7 to F/2 is (as stated above) heavily dependent on focal length and subject/background distance. You really need to put images side by side to see the slight difference. 35mm can use all the help it can get when it comes to great bokeh. Sigma has a great reputation for creating sharp high contrast lenses and this carries over to the bokeh where sharpness and high contrast are not desirable. I have the Sony-Zeiss 35mm F/1.4 and its a phenomenal lens, so I don't see me buying the Sigma ART F/1.2 (if it actually exists). But I love the added competition and more options for the system. Who knows. It might be a can't live without kind of lens. I love 35mm for a lot of subjects.