Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2019, 04:32 PM - 1 Like   #16
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
IP doesn't exist for certain companies!
Doesn't make it right, though. Having said that, I've bought other Fotodiox products - dumb adapters - so I can't claim too much of a moral high ground on this point...

Your experience is the first with any negativity I've heard, but I considered A7 and A7ii then bought a K-1 which I'm still happy with.
I remember when you and I first discussed the adapter on these forums, and you were very enthusiastic about it...

But, my experience (negative or otherwise) is based on just that... experience, having bought and used the product. There are many, many posts online that discuss the mechanical wobble (that occurs after a short time of use), the weird user interface, the third party adapter locking issues (actually, several articles exist on modifying other adapters to fit it!!) etc. Had I searched in more detail before buying, I'd have known these limitations (I already knew about the pre-focusing requirement on longer lenses) and probably decided against. I mention this because what we read doesn't necessarily equate to what we'll find in real-world user experience, and I wouldn't want the OP to buy a TechArt or Fotodiox AF adapter without knowing the significant limitations

As I said - the TechArt Pro adapter works. It does what it says it does. But the implementation is poor and quirky. It's only worth buying if the issues I've mentioned don't matter to the buyer. And the Fotodiox adapter is just a direct rip-off... so saying I should have gone for that one doesn't really make much sense to me, unless you know of some clear advantages that mitigate the issues I mentioned (other than cost)?

07-05-2019, 04:32 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Have you personally used the Fotodiox adapter? Or the TechArt one?
I wouldn't buy a $$$ony!

---------- Post added 07-06-19 at 10:36 AM ----------

I wouldn't want the OP to buy a TechArt or Fotodiox AF adapter without knowing the significant limitations
I recommend a K-1 used is getting towards the new cost of a KP
07-05-2019, 04:43 PM   #18
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I recommend a K-1 used is getting towards the new cost of a KP
Which is all fine and good if the OP is happy to use his DA lenses (which were a key factor in the original post, I believe) on a bigger, heavier body with sensor area cropped to equivalent resolution of a K-5, and with a full frame viewfinder using focus screen markings to frame an APS-C format shot - or, as alternatives, live view, or forcing full frame capture then cropping unusable borders in raw development. If those factors work for the OP, then I'd agree - a used or discounted K-1 may be a sound buy and perhaps even preferable to a KP... Personally, I think the KP is a better choice for him with his existing lenses, unless he's looking for full frame capability in the future...
07-05-2019, 04:46 PM   #19
Pentaxian

I remember when you and I first discussed the adapter on these forums, and you were very enthusiastic about it...
As you say "it works"....it depends on the level of "working" from an individuals perspective that is important.

I'm enthusiastic about any new stuff,that doesn't mean i'll buy it immediately.However, with time all the new stuff gets improved upon eventually.

Lots gets stored in the memory bank and sometimes a bargain arrives that wasn't in the initial times.

---------- Post added 07-06-19 at 10:50 AM ----------

with a full frame viewfinder using focus screen markings to frame an APS-C format shot -
Yes, I don't like it at all....so just pulled the trigger on a K-3(U$299,a bargain in my mind).

---------- Post added 07-06-19 at 10:52 AM ----------

unless he's looking for full frame capability in the future
Well,hes looking at FF capability right now!

07-05-2019, 05:01 PM - 1 Like   #20
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

As you say "it works"....it depends on the level of "working" from an individuals perspective that is important.

I'm enthusiastic about any new stuff,that doesn't mean i'll buy it immediately.However, with time all the new stuff gets improved upon eventually.
Same here. We all have to be careful about believing what we read online. Trying it for ourselves is really the only reliable indicator of usefulness...

Yes, I don't like it at all....so just pulled the trigger on a K-3(U$299,a bargain in my mind).
That is indeed a bargain. Congrats!!

Well,hes looking at FF capability right now!
Yes, but that doesn't mean it's the right choice, and he came here asking for advice. I'm just trying to give the OP the pros and cons... It's all well and good that a used or discounted K-1 isn't considerably more expensive than a new, full-retail-price KP, but if the K-1 is the wrong choice (for whatever reason) - and it could be - it ceases to be good value. I don't own a K-1, but I do shoot both APS-C and full frame gear, and there are differences to consider beyond cost...
07-05-2019, 05:04 PM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

if the K-1 is the wrong choice (for whatever reason) - and it could be
When its compared to any $$$ony its the right choice(well the one I made) ha ha.Now keep your $$$ony "fanboism" under control!

---------- Post added 07-06-19 at 11:11 AM ----------

That is indeed a bargain.
The photos show it in all phases of working condition(apart from video and I use other systems for that).

Its a little gamble in that I don't know the accutations,what I do know is its got the box and everything that comes in it.The negative is its only Black!

Last edited by surfar; 07-05-2019 at 05:12 PM.
07-05-2019, 05:12 PM - 1 Like   #22
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

When its compared to any $$$ony its the right choice(well the one I made) ha ha.Now keep your $$$ony "fanboism" under control!
My brand-new Sony A7II was cheap... about two thirds the price of the K-1 when I bought it (and even slightly less a few months later)... the second cheapest full-frame camera available, after the original A7. Nothing like as capable spec-wise as a K-1, of course. But it was exactly what I needed, and that's the important thing... Buying what we need and what suits us best. In the OP's case, a KP sounds like the best option to me. A K-1 could be interesting, but not necessarily optimal if his existing lenses are truly important to him. Any Sony mirrorless would be an outlier, unless he wants to sell his K-mount lenses and commit to Sony fully - in which case, there's nothing wrong with that, and it doesn't have to involve "$$$" to be worthwhile. But for all-round shooting, I'd stick with Pentax...

07-05-2019, 05:21 PM   #23
Pentaxian

My brand-new Sony A7II was cheap.
They are built cheeeeep, they "work" though.

Battery life,lens cost,menu,lack of Ricoh level ruggedness were 4 reasons for me to shy away.As well as the increased resolution of the K-1.
07-05-2019, 05:32 PM - 2 Likes   #24
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

They are built cheeeeep, they "work" though.
Hmmm.... What makes you think they're built "cheeeeep"? Have you used one for any period of time? My A7 MkII - quite an old model by now - is nicely built, IMHO (and that tallies with many reviews). I'm quite fussy about gear, and if the K-3 is a 10/10 on build quality - and I'd say it fully deserves that score - the A7 MkII is a strong 8+. There are a few minor things I think could be very slightly better. And weather resistance is a weak point by comparison, but that's not down to it being built "cheeeeep"... It's just not so well designed as the K-3 in that respect. There's more plastic / synthetics on top of the magnesium alloy on the Sony cameras, but those materials are pretty strong and very resilient to small knocks, in my experience. Despite being a Pentax fan, I'm more than happy with the build quality of the A7 MkII. Or are you referring to more recent models that I don't have direct experience with? Still, I'd be surprised if they're any worse (more than likely, they're better)...

Battery life,lens cost,menu,lack of Ricoh level ruggedness were 4 reasons for me to shy away.As well as the increased resolution of the K-1.
Battery life on my A7 MkII is terrible (it is on most MILCs of that generation). I have the battery grip fitted almost permanently on mine The menus aren't great either, but you get used to them. Ruggedness is absolutely fine, based on my personal experience, but just below that of my Pentax gear, perceptually... though I've had no problems with either in day-to-day use. The resolution is what it is... 24MP on full frame has been more than enough for me, but I don't print large reproductions of images. But I can see why higher resolution is beneficial for other folks (though nothing like so many as they would have you think )... In any case, if you're frequently printing large and/or cropping in a big way, higher resolution is nice and worth paying extra for.

I'm no Sony fan-boy... Pentax is my preferred system, and that's likely to continue. But these days, most cameras from all of the brands are built well, perform well, and have generally great specs. Open competition has led to a pretty high bar for comparison, and a considerable degree of normalisation in most areas. It's largely down to personal preference as to which we're best off choosing...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 07-05-2019 at 06:56 PM.
07-05-2019, 10:34 PM   #25
Pentaxian

What makes you think they're built "cheeeeep"
Just the way they feel.

And weather resistance is a weak point
What weather resistance?...The Olympus and CaNiks in the sprinkler test came through fine,$$$ony bricked,never to start again.

Have you used one for any period of time?
Only in store test outs, he wouldn't let me run it under the tap to test the WR!

I'm no Sony fan-boy..
OK, you are an imitation Hassleblad FB then!..lol
07-06-2019, 12:32 PM - 3 Likes   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Battery life on my A7 MkII is terrible (it is on most MILCs of that generation). I have the battery grip fitted almost permanently on mine The menus aren't great either, but you get used to them. Ruggedness is absolutely fine, based on my personal experience, but just below that of my Pentax gear, perceptually... though I've had no problems with either in day-to-day use. The resolution is what it is... 24MP on full frame has been more than enough for me, but I don't print large reproductions of images. But I can see why higher resolution is beneficial for other folks (though nothing like so many as they would have you think )... In any case, if you're frequently printing large and/or cropping in a big way, higher resolution is nice and worth paying extra for.

I'm no Sony fan-boy... Pentax is my preferred system, and that's likely to continue. But these days, most cameras from all of the brands are built well, perform well, and have generally great specs. Open competition has led to a pretty high bar for comparison, and a considerable degree of normalisation in most areas. It's largely down to personal preference as to which we're best off choosing...
Mike, I fully agree with each of your comments. I have several years experience with the a7, a7II, and now the a7rII. The menu excuse holds no water with me.
The high level of Sony customization means you don't have to try and remember where all settings are....if you don't want to. Not being a pro where time is money, I have had no problems learning the Sony menu structure. I have not had a current model of Pentax for a couple of years. The K-1 was just too much for my arthritic thumbs and wrists. I am pretty close to trying a KP.