Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2019, 04:22 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by grahame Quote
That is why I call fp a barebones camera.
You want all the luxuries,don't you!

07-11-2019, 04:30 PM - 1 Like   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Interesting that they’ve not used a Foveon sensor for this one. Perhaps the pricing might have had to have been like that of the SD1, initially. It also seems to have the current Sigma counter-intuitive approach to ergonomics.
07-11-2019, 04:49 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Interesting that they’ve not used a Foveon sensor for this one. Perhaps the pricing might have had to have been like that of the SD1, initially. It also seems to have the current Sigma counter-intuitive approach to ergonomics.
Foveon is still under development,not sure when it will come.The head Honsho has said in interviews that it will eventuate.

This body is there to accessorise, its only been tested with pre-release firmware@ this stage so what it actually comes to market with is a ?

Also, its open to developing firmware as time passes.I think it will be quite interesting once Sigma bring a full range of lenses.

BTW,give my regards you your bro.I know hes always close by!
07-11-2019, 04:57 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
You want all the luxuries,don't you!
I don't do video much. If I do, I use NEX-VG30 or RX100iii. But I do have some thing like stabilizer, focusing follower, shoulder supporter, external micro.... You have to have them to achieve the result you want for video.

And I believe, using the fp as is is not comfortable or efficient, neither for still, nor for video.

07-11-2019, 05:45 PM   #35
Pentaxian

Original Poster
ok,ok,ok

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
This body is there to accessorise,
using the fp as is is not comfortable
……………..
07-11-2019, 05:48 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't do video much. If I do, I use NEX-VG30 or RX100iii. But I do have some thing like stabilizer, focusing follower, shoulder supporter, external micro.... You have to have them to achieve the result you want for video.

And I believe, using the fp as is is not comfortable or efficient, neither for still, nor for video.
The operative phrase there is "as is", because my understanding of it from IR's reporting is that the fp is designed to facilitate accessorizing, and to that end Sigma's openly sharing the interface specs, so if all goes well then we won't have to settle for using it "as is" for very long. Let's see if this helps them build the ecosystem faster.
07-11-2019, 06:19 PM   #37
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Well,they are building the lens lineup,reasonably fast.A few more on the roadmap this year and by end of 2020,enough to do plenty of things.

07-12-2019, 03:16 AM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would just say that if you are planning to buy into this lens mount, you'd best have a money tree in your backyard that you can shake every now and then...
07-14-2019, 11:40 AM - 1 Like   #39
Pentaxian

Perhaps Pentax should join the L-mount club. I mean, after K comes L...

Seriously, with Pentax no established as a niche player, why not? Mirrorless might never replace the DSLR, but it occupies a significant portion of the market. Ignoring this does not sound like good business. Developing a new mount would require a lot of money that would be hard to recoup. Joining the L-mounters might offer another way.

Don't knock it. Even Toyota decided that developing a new straight six for a sports car would require more capital than could be recouped from sales. So they did a deal with BMW, much to the disdain of all those who wanted a modern 2JZ-GTE. But those are the breaks.
07-14-2019, 12:27 PM   #40
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
Perhaps Pentax should join the L-mount club. I mean, after K comes L...

Seriously, with Pentax no established as a niche player, why not? Mirrorless might never replace the DSLR, but it occupies a significant portion of the market. Ignoring this does not sound like good business. Developing a new mount would require a lot of money that would be hard to recoup. Joining the L-mounters might offer another way.

Don't knock it. Even Toyota decided that developing a new straight six for a sports car would require more capital than could be recouped from sales. So they did a deal with BMW, much to the disdain of all those who wanted a modern 2JZ-GTE. But those are the breaks.
Well in that case they just could start with mirrorless k-mount. No new lenses needed, just all available from start. Or at least a lot.

Compare camera dimensions side by side

As you see the K-01 isn't even so much bigger. It can be made smaller and lighter, with a new electronic lay-out inside. The thickness doesn't change because of the k-mount.

Make it unique with an aps-h sensor.....
07-14-2019, 12:49 PM - 1 Like   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well in that case they just could start with mirrorless k-mount. No new lenses needed, just all available from start. Or at least a lot.
Could be. Although, the whole point of changing mount for mirrorless is to make and sell new lenses for the new mount. If Pentax market share is to less to make money by making new products, then it's folded.
Pentax locked themselves by doing a favor to customers (k mount compatibility over the decades, no expensive full frame, no mirrorless, no investment in long expensive lenses) and saving money on marketing. It's exactly the opposite of what successful brands are doing. Now, again, they slow down on product releases, so what happens is customers with big budget switch brands , and customers with small budget stay with Pentax... Pentax business is melting like ice under the sun.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 07-14-2019 at 12:58 PM.
07-14-2019, 01:08 PM   #42
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Pentax business is melting like ice under the sun.
That is for a different thread to discuss.
07-14-2019, 02:29 PM   #43
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The K-1 is!

07-14-2019, 02:35 PM   #44
Banned

Sigma should have put a larger sensor inside.... Next to the GFX100 this is a dwarf.

07-14-2019, 03:00 PM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Pentax locked themselves by doing a favor to customers (k mount compatibility over the decades) and saving money on marketing. It's exactly the opposite of what successful brands are doing.
I agree! SO let's buy more Pentax gear to support this company!