Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2019, 11:18 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
This "20-40 xs" and "70/2.4 xs" (like the DA 70 isn't thin enough already) as you're describing wouldn't work on any other camera but this mythical mirrorless camera you're talking about. They wouldn't focus properly on any other Pentax + the mirror would hit the lens. Likewise, your existing k-mount lenses wouldn't work on this new body. You're designing a new mount that has some mechanical similarities to the existing k. You're not making sense.

Done with this thread. Good luck.

07-11-2019, 12:09 PM   #17
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Sigma should make this fp in yellow!
07-11-2019, 12:52 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Sigma should make this fp in yellow!
This fp is a barebones machine, aimed for video, and needs a lot of accessories to get it work. Paint it yellow, and they can sell more accessories in yellow
07-11-2019, 12:53 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Detailed description and hands-on:

Hands-on with new Sigma 'fp' - a compact, full-frame, L-mount mirrorless camera | Digital Photography Review

QuoteQuote:
it's immediately apparent Sigma's engineers have put a lot of work into making the fp a camera that's as practical as it is innovative.
QuoteQuote:
The camera seems extensively thought-through, not just in terms of offering plenty of options about what the dials control, but also in the small details like letting you choose auto, faster and slower shutter thresholds in Auto ISO mode, that relate to the focal length you're currently using. This is the kind of fine-grained detail that major camera makers don't always get right.

It definitely suggests Sigma has put a lot of work in, before taking the wraps off its little box of tricks.
It's the kind of camera I would have liked Ricoh Imaging to bring to market.

07-11-2019, 12:56 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
You're designing a new mount that has some mechanical similarities to the existing k. You're not making sense.
You got it wrong. it is a completely same K mount, just needs more XS type lenses that does not work on DSLR. You can mount you k mount lens on it if you like.
If you don't like "XS" lenses, just use the larger K lenses on it.
If you prefer smaller combo, go get some smaller "XS" on it. simple as it.
07-11-2019, 01:49 PM   #21
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
No, I want a k-mount mirrorless ILC. I want to use the lenses I already own along with possibly new lenses as applicable but I don't want to lock in on a single body. You're basically doing something just as drastic as creating a new mount with this "recessed lens".
QuoteOriginally posted by grahame Quote
No, I believe Pentax had a try on K-01 already. The 40XS is one of the lenses. We can have a 20-40 based on the same idea, make better use of the empty space of the mirror box, only leave two rings outside (and some space for grabbing the lens for mounting). Then a 70/2.4 xs .... we can still use the limit and any lens we love.

In fact, same K-01, just make the body much thinner, and let the mount sticks out, so the grip could be much deeper..add an EVF, improved AF..
Well there was a plan for a 21mm xs lens that was only usable on the K-01 and no other k-mount camera's. Just never made it to market. So the idea isn't to crazy.

From long ago.....
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
AS a K-01 owner I predict a long life for the mirrorless body in this style through many generations, and significant sales to new Pentax users who are not burdened with a collection of legacy Pentax lenses. The XS line of lenses will be the attraction.

Last edited by RonHendriks1966; 07-11-2019 at 01:56 PM.
07-11-2019, 02:02 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
21mm xs lens that was only usable on the K-01 and no other k-mount camera's. Just never made it to market
Pentax priced the K-01 way too high at release; and the body design makes it hard to grip; CDAF only; no EVF... all these make K-01 wasn't very successful at the beginning. I guess that is why the following plan was cut.

Ironically, Pentax couldn't sell the K-01, so they cut the plan and put the camera on sell, and it became much more popular. I bought two of them when price was right.

Pentax should continue the K mount MLC. technology is ready: PDAF on sensor, EVF, new AF motor on lens...

07-11-2019, 02:23 PM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No, I believe Pentax had a try on K-01 already. The 40XS is one of the lenses. We can have a 20-40 based on the same idea, make better use of the empty space of the mirror box, only leave two rings outside (and some space for grabbing the lens for mounting). Then a 70/2.4 xs .... we can still use the limit and any lens we love.

In fact, same K-01, just make the body much thinner, and let the mount sticks out, so the grip could be much deeper..add an EVF, improved AF..
Huh? The DA 40/2.8 XS is a cosmetic variant of the DA 40/2.8 Limited pancake. It make zero "better use" of the empty mirror box on the K-01. A XS'ed 20-40 would offer the same "features" and advantage.

FWIW, one could definitely make a K-mount lens that extends well into the unavoidable* "mirror space", though the case to do so is quite limited, that being non-retrofocus wide-angles. If memory serves me correct, such was done with at least one short-focal length rectilinear Nikkor in F-mount. That lens required mirror lock-up and an accessory-shoe mounted auxiliary viewfinder.

Such a lens would be a clumsy novelty and nothing more.

Steve
07-11-2019, 03:11 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
(...)

FWIW, one could definitely make a K-mount lens that extends well into the unavoidable* "mirror space", though the case to do so is quite limited, that being non-retrofocus wide-angles. If memory serves me correct, such was done with at least one short-focal length rectilinear Nikkor in F-mount. That lens required mirror lock-up and an accessory-shoe mounted auxiliary viewfinder.

Such a lens would be a clumsy novelty and nothing more.

Steve
That and two Voigtländer SL lenses from 2003, 12mm f/5.6 and 15mm f/4.5, deriving from their counterparts in LTM/L39 mount.

https://www.cameraquest.com/VCSL1215.htm
QuoteQuote:
These are the same non-retrofocus optics as Voigtlander's Leica screw mount lenses, but produced in Nikon F mount designed for mirror lock up
07-11-2019, 03:23 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

though the case to do so is quite limited, that being non-retrofocus wide-angles.

Absolutely! That is why I think it is not worth to introduce a new shorter flange mount, because many lenses will still have to be away from sensor and are long. Other brands make thin camera and long lens and they don't balance at all. Many G lenses look exactly like a SLR lens with an adapter. But by putting the rear part inside the mirror box space, at least a new MLC can be very compact if we need wide lens -- long lens is long anyway.
07-11-2019, 03:40 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Original Poster
This isn't a K-01 thread,my smurf is upset and wont watch this video!

07-11-2019, 03:42 PM   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Absolutely!
I think, perhaps, that "Absolutely" refers to something entirely different than what I wrote. Your observation is true for non-telephoto lenses at longer focal lengths, but is orthogonal to the notion of an XS'ed lens series where the nominal flange distance is artificially long.

Steve
07-11-2019, 03:50 PM - 1 Like   #28
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
This isn't a K-01 thread,my smurf is upset and wont watch this video!

Bombshell Announcement: The Sigma fp Full Frame Camera - YouTube
Sorry about encouraging the hijack, but you know how it is; any discussion of any new mirrorless camera is flavored by yearning for a K-02 where all things mirrorless become all things K-mount.

So...any guesses when a viewfinder might be offered and how they are going to do speedy AF without on-sensor PDAF? Oh...and electronic shutter only...ohh...and electronic image stabilization only...

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-11-2019 at 03:58 PM.
07-11-2019, 03:54 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Steve
All good,Steve...I would encourage a K-02 too! Just with a grip and Viewfinder(that's what the patents for,isn't it?)
07-11-2019, 04:19 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

notion of an XS'ed lens series where the nominal flange distance is artificially long.
I understand that -- I use it one K3; and I am sure you also understand what we meant here: a lens that have the rear part deeply recessed into the camera and close to the sensor. Pentax does not have one yet and 40XS has the idea: to minimized the parts outside camera.
The 21mm is a much better sample, but I didn't know that.
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
I would encourage a K-02 too! Just with a grip and Viewfinder
we, Pentaxians, all need a camera that has a good grip and viewfinder. That is why I call fp a barebones camera.