Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
4 Days Ago   #256
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Mak Quote
Quite a cynical look on the photography business and Sony in particular. As well as on their effort with the Sony A7r4.
I wholeheartedly disagree, I own three Loxia lenses that will no doubt produce stunning images on the A7r4 (they already do on the A7RII and have no problem resolving that sensor to the max.), and I have a Canon 400DOII that will also benefit a lot from the 61mp sensor. The A7r4 has a one-button touch switch between FF and APS-C mode. Add to that the 5,76 EVF which will no doubt be stunning esp. in APS-C mode, the AF with full coverage of the APS-C field, and all the latest of Sony's AF wizardry, and I feel this may well be a single camera that makes all other cameras redundant. I found the money I spent on the Pentax KP well wasted for instance.

I think people shooting off Sony as a tech/toy profit business must secretly be very envious...
Personally, I'm not envious of Sony. I would like to see Pentax continue to turn out new gear, but definitely not emulating the Sony machine.

4 Days Ago - 2 Likes   #257
Pentaxian

Judging the comments from this thread, I do hope we won't see a 61mp sensor in the next Pentax full frame camera because this sensor seems to be doomed. On the other hand, I do want to see a 61mp sensor in the next Pentax full frame just for the comments about it.
4 Days Ago   #258
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
Judging the comments from this thread, I do hope we won't see a 61mp sensor in the next Pentax full frame camera because this sensor seems to be doomed. On the other hand, I do want to see a 61mp sensor in the next Pentax full frame just for the comments about it.
It seems unlikely. Surfar said earlier (and I agree) that the most likely candidate is the 42 megapixel sensor that Sony makes and has in the A7r II. The biggest negative with that sensor (not a big deal to me) is that it only does about 5 fps. But as long as the buffer is good and the surrounding camera is excellent, that wouldn't be a deal breaker to me. The biggest thing going for it is cost.
4 Days Ago   #259
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would leave that thing alone. I hope for 36 mp with deeper buffer and new AF. Little better than now.

There is always a little market for high performance things. Sony has to have one just to keep their name up there. They are going after position nro.1 . A lot of tech guys are waiting for things like this.

Going to be interesting to see what Canon high mpixel thingy will be like. It sure is a competition thing.

4 Days Ago   #260
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
I would leave that thing alone. I hope for 36 mp with deeper buffer and new AF. Little better than now.
I'm also more than ok with the 30mp of my 5D Mark IV. I would replace it for day by day shooting with the tiny 26mp Canon EOS RP if the EVF of that camera would have been as good as the one from EOS R. Anyway, I'm more interested in lenses than cameras and in this department Canon still gets me excited a lot more than Sony.
4 Days Ago   #261
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't see any reason for Pentax to change to a higher MP sensor. The wafer that the 36MP sensor comes from is still in production as far as I know and 36MP is plenty. If Pentax could make some large improvements on C-AF and offer features like eye-AF, provide an imaging pipeline with larger buffer and faster write speeds, and finally get their D-FA* prime lenses off the road map and on shelves, I would shoot with Pentax as my primary and probably only system. I know for landscape, macro, architecture these are not important features, but for portrait and wedding photography those are really important features. The reason there is a WPPI (Wedding & Portrait Photography) conference every year is that wedding and portrait photographers make up a huge percentage of the professional market. I have yet to understand why Ricoh has so little interest in it.
4 Days Ago   #262
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I have yet to understand why Ricoh has so little interest in it.
Probably because they won't be able to mantain a lower price on a body with the features you want and maybe because once you want these features you would also like pro service or a decent service at least and going to "war" with Canon, Nikon and Sony in terms of prices it may not be a smart decision. Another reason may be the fact that Pentax users seem more interested in landscapes/nature and not so much in weddings and portraits.

Regarding portraits, those are not that hard to shoot with any camera. I got used to eye af and it's good enough these days to use this feature especially with fast primes, but I don't have problems either shooting portraits at f1.4 with an old 6D for example or with K3, K1. Not to mention that Godox now supports Pentax and this is a big deal for portrait/fashion photographers. So in this category (portraits) Pentax doesn't have a problem regarding bodies. Some new modern and fast primes are needed and those to me worth more for Pentax than eye af. I can live without eye af as long as I would have an 85mm f1.4 and some other fast tele primes.
4 Days Ago   #263
Pentaxian

No need for OVF, $$$ony are lapping CaNikPan

Come in Spinners.

4 Days Ago   #264
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Probably because they won't be able to mantain a lower price on a body with the features you want and maybe because once you want these features you would also like pro service or a decent service at least and going to "war" with Canon, Nikon and Sony in terms of prices it may not be a smart decision. Another reason may be the fact that Pentax users seem more interested in landscapes/nature and not so much in weddings and portraits.

Regarding portraits, those are not that hard to shoot with any camera. I got used to eye af and it's good enough these days to use this feature especially with fast primes, but I don't have problems either shooting portraits at f1.4 with an old 6D for example or with K3, K1. Not to mention that Godox now supports Pentax and this is a big deal for portrait/fashion photographers. So in this category (portraits) Pentax doesn't have a problem regarding bodies. Some new modern and fast primes are needed and those to me worth more for Pentax than eye af. I can live without eye af as long as I would have an 85mm f1.4 and some other fast tele primes.
Not every body they make has to be dirt cheap. They can have an upper end FF body and the price point body that most Pentaxians are looking for. I don't have an issue with a higher spec/higher priced body.

The majority of people trying to make a living as photographers don't pay for pro-support. I know a couple of professionals who shoot Sony who don't even qualify for pro-support. It's nice to have, but not a necessity for the portrait and wedding segment. For upper-end sports and PJs then it is probably worth it.

For studio portraits, you are correct, just about any camera will work. I used Pentax for years starting with the K-7, K-5, K-3, and now the K-1. Eye AF has been a big addition. I can simply compose and shoot. No focus and recompose and that speeds up everything. Shooting at f/1.4 with even an 85mm and focus and recompose can move the eye out of focus and most DSLRs don't have enough AF points covering a large enough % of the frame. When I'm in studio though I'm usually at f/5.6-f/11 so its not an issue. I control my light and background so I don't really need to blur the background. For that work the K-1 is awesome, but even m4/3 would be more than good enough.

The reason that most Pentax users are mostly interested in landscapes is because those of us interested in portrait and wedding work have moved on to systems that have the feature set that make out lives easier. Yes, I can shoot portraits and weddings with an 8x10 field camera, but I don't want the added trouble. Many, many years ago I shot some weddings with a Pentax 67II.... like all day. People complain about weight today. I have no desire to do that again, and the expectations of the couple have changed drastically since those days. Back then I would provide some prints of mostly posed shots. Today we are selling printed and bound books with 300 images and most of those are candid shots. I could still shoot an entire wedding with my 5D if I still had it, but I have no desire to go back to that level of performance.

4 Days Ago - 1 Like   #265
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
For studio portraits, you are correct, just about any camera will work. I used Pentax for years starting with the K-7, K-5, K-3, and now the K-1. Eye AF has been a big addition. I can simply compose and shoot. No focus and recompose and that speeds up everything. Shooting at f/1.4 with even an 85mm and focus and recompose can move the eye out of focus and most DSLRs don't have enough AF points covering a large enough % of the frame.
If someone can't do without this feature (I shrug my shoulders, but they may have their own reasons) all Pentaxes have defacto Eye AF, it's just called Face Tracking.
4 Days Ago   #266
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I guess you are referring to my comments. Let's be clear, if more mega pixels if what other want it is fine for me, as I just make my choice for myself and based on my own experience. It is good that some people buy into things like megapixels and eye AF , as it help sustain the camera industry. We need those folks who get sold the latest tech and upgrade their cameras often for the other folks like me to get the very good previous gen of cameras at cheaper prices.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 4 Days Ago at 12:03 AM.
3 Days Ago   #267
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I guess you are referring to my comments. Let's be clear, if more mega pixels if what other want it is fine for me, as I just make my choice for myself and based on my own experience. .
I'm reffering to all the ones who shoot with high resolution cameras and don't need the resolution. But because Ricoh released a high mp camera instead of a 24mp one, it's ok for them to shoot at 36mp, but it's not ok to shoot with 61mp due to difraction, etc. I never heard a single owner of 5DsR complaining about difraction or dynamic range when shooting landscape. But suddenly this became a problem for Sony 61mp camera. And it's not yet released and put it to work by pro photographers. Some friends of mine told me that the famous influencer Tony Northrup made a comparation between A7R III and A7R IV and he could read the letters of a camera dial on the A7R IV file while on the A7R III he coudn't see the letters. I don't have the patience to watch his videos, but in 2 months I can check with a rented A7R IV how much better are the files compared to the ones from A7R III. Until then, I'm not buying the difraction stuff and other "arguments".

It is good that some people buy into things like megapixels and eye AF , as it help sustain the camera industry. We need those folks who get sold the latest tech and upgrade their cameras often for the other folks like me to get the very good previous gen of cameras at cheaper prices.
Maybe you don't realize it, but you didn't get a previous generation camera. You bought the latest model of the company called Ricoh which happens to use a previous generation sensor from Sony. That's all.
3 Days Ago   #268
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm reffering to all the ones who shoot with high resolution cameras and don't need the resolution. But because Ricoh released a high mp camera instead of a 24mp one, it's ok for them to shoot at 36mp, but it's not ok to shoot with 61mp due to difraction, etc. I never heard a single owner of 5DsR complaining about difraction or dynamic range when shooting landscape. But suddenly this became a problem for Sony 61mp camera. And it's not yet released and put it to work by pro photographers. Some friends of mine told me that the famous influencer Tony Northrup made a comparation between A7R III and A7R IV and he could read the letters of a camera dial on the A7R IV file while on the A7R III he coudn't see the letters. I don't have the patience to watch his videos, but in 2 months I can check with a rented A7R IV how much better are the files compared to the ones from A7R III. Until then, I'm not buying the difraction stuff and other "arguments".

Maybe you don't realize it, but you didn't get a previous generation camera. You bought the latest model of the company called Ricoh which happens to use a previous generation sensor from Sony. That's all.
I think there is less difference between 24 and 36 megapixels than 36 and 61 megapixels. I'm sure there will be some increase in resolution going to 61 megapixels, I just think that at least some of that resolution is bound to be wasted once you get into diffraction zones. The most likely place to see resolution bumps therefore will be in situations where you are shooting wide apertures.

Be that as it may, I will concede that for many people the bigger number is more important than the actual usefulness of said number. It certainly is an impressive camera to do 10 fps of 61 megapixel images even if I personally wouldn't really want quite that much.
3 Days Ago   #269
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I never heard a single owner of 5DsR complaining about difraction or dynamic range when shooting landscape. But suddenly this became a problem for Sony 61mp camera.
I think you need to understand the cost / benefit analysis. You could even cram 200Mpixel on a full frame sensor and it's going to make a small difference on images only in a small area of the camera setting triangle (aperture, ISO, shutter speed). Where the A7RIV deliver an appreciable advantage is the crop mode, but there again, if Ricoh releases a camera body with a 24 / 26Mp apsc sensor , and decent speed, it will be cheaper for Pentaxians to keep using their K1 and get the new Pentax apsc flagship for dynamic shooting. I already have 5 new Pentax lenses (7 lenses with MF primes), with silent focusing, WR and very good optically, I would never consider the A7RIV simply because it would cost me a lot of money and it wouldn't make a difference in my photography big enough to justify the money. Diffraction does happen and it reduces the number of cases where 61Mp deliver superior images compared to K1 images. Now if Ricoh makes a new FF DSLR model with a 61Mpixel sensor, again, I already have the lenses, it won't cost me as much as switching to Sony, and I'll still get the little more detail given by the 61Mp sensor in some cases.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 3 Days Ago at 03:25 AM.
3 Days Ago   #270
Pentaxian

I think you need to understand the cost / benefit analysis.
Yes, the capability of A7r4 is very very cost effective.

A lightweight body,that is state of the art FF.As well as a crop body that doesn't quite match an XT-3 but is still very advanced over most Dslrs.

Coupled with the Tamron f2.8 17/28 and 28/75 (and soon developed 70/200) and Sony 200-600 and its an great zoom only system.Cherry pick Sigma and $$$ony primes as an option.(as well as some bargain primes coming from the Chinese 3rd parties)

A highly capable stills system with a very capable video system.Many will recognise this.
« The Phone Club! | - »