Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 102 Likes Search this Thread
07-17-2019, 08:38 PM - 1 Like   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I hope the EVF is a (big) step up from the A7iii.
2 Generations better,5.67mill dots.

oy oy oy,Le Tour!

07-17-2019, 08:40 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
2 Generations better,5.67mill dots.

oy oy oy,Le Tour!
Sounds good! I wonder if my Sony mad friend will buy one! I'll keep you posted.
07-17-2019, 08:47 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Ive looked over the specs a couple of times, apart from the big increase in resolution its mainly a fix up of the shortcomings of previous stuff.

There are a few neat niche features that some people will use.

Your mate must like Menus, its still a difficult area so many reviewers say.he is probably used to it though.

Ewan!
07-18-2019, 02:39 AM - 1 Like   #34

Ive looked over the specs a couple of times, apart from the big increase in resolution its mainly a fix up of the shortcomings of previous stuff.

Your mate must like Menus, its still a difficult area so many reviewers say.he is probably used to it though.

Ewan!
How Sony has not addressed the menu system is beyond me. At least they appear to have addressed the weather sealing, grip and dials and made them more Pentaxesque.

07-18-2019, 03:48 AM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by larryaustin3 Quote
How Sony has not addressed the menu system is beyond me.
"Menu system" isn't a parameter that trigger camera sales, claiming big numbers such as 60Megapixels, 240Mpixel and 900Mpixels make the top of camera news, big splash. Hardware is less and less relevant when people buy online. In some ways, cameras business for hobby photographer isn't that serious, a lot of it is pure marketing hype. The more hype, the more cheating, the more market share.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 07-18-2019 at 03:54 AM.
07-18-2019, 08:24 AM   #36

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
cameras business for hobby photographer isn't that serious
Except this new $onya is absolutely not aimed at the hobbyists?
07-18-2019, 08:44 AM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MetalUndivided Quote
They're all aimed at hobbyists - not enough pros to justify development expenses. BUT - get some pros to use such a model and it draws many hobbyists to the brand.

07-18-2019, 09:18 AM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MetalUndivided Quote
At a price of $3500, it's like prices for Nikon Z, Panasonic S1R are similar, all pointed to the consumers. Doesn't prevent a professional to buy a consumer camera (or get if for free under the condition to promote it, as a brand ambassador for example).
07-18-2019, 12:06 PM   #39
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
They're all aimed at hobbyists - not enough pros to justify development expenses. BUT - get some pros to use such a model and it draws many hobbyists to the brand.
Or get some insta-influencers to use it.
07-18-2019, 06:11 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Ewan!
Its a bunch of small changes that add up to a nice upgrade. My biggest complaints have been the ergonomics and build quality and it looks like a moderate step forward has been taken to improve these. The menus still suck, but honestly once you set it up and get all the buttons programed the way you want you don't really go into the menus very much. I don't think I need 61MP, but I hope a lot of these improvements end up on the A9II.

07-18-2019, 07:37 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by larryaustin3 Quote
At least they appear to have addressed the weather sealing, grip and dials and made them more Pentaxesque.
I like it! Pentaxesque!
07-18-2019, 07:41 PM   #42
Pentaxian

Don't forget the a7 IV (non-r) which is bound to follow, with a much more sensible price and megapixel count. Really, my main interest in this camera is how it will affect prices of the A7III.

I've been using the original a7r for five years now. Its ergonomics and build quality is a big step down from Pentax, but I don't think I could ever go back to a pentaprism after experiencing how easy it is to manually focus and expose on an EVF. To this day, I still haven't bought an actual E-mount lens. I just kept on using my classic Pentax lenses, and added a few more oddball old lenses. I haven't used autofocus in half a decade now, and I don't even miss it.
07-18-2019, 08:06 PM   #43

QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
They're all aimed at hobbyists - not enough pros to justify development expenses
How come the medium format cameras exist then? I'm sure they're not any cheaper to develop and I'm sure even fewer pros would buy them.
At a price of $3500, it's like prices for Nikon Z, Panasonic S1R are similar, all pointed to the consumers
Well, I'm sure there certainly are hobbyists with pockets this deep, but I still think all these cameras are primarily considered by and aimed at those who intend to make money with them.
07-18-2019, 09:35 PM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
My biggest complaints have been the ergonomics and build quality and it looks like a moderate step forward has been taken to improve these. The menus still suck, but honestly once you set it up and get all the buttons programed the way you want you don't really go into the menus very much.
We can observe that line of thinking with Fuji and Sony customers. What always amazed me with Fuji and Sony, is customers finally acknowledge now that the previous models weren't that good after all. When we told them, mirrorless isn't like nirvana, they were saying "no no no you are wrong, mirrorless is better". For example, we all know that the first two generations of mirrorless Sony and Fuji AF sucked big times, and now the size isn't an advantage anymore because all lenses are bigger than the ones formerly designed for DSLRs. But I remember very well at the time of Fuji selling their X-Pro1, Ed of "Photo Universe" praising Fuji mirrorless as so much better than DSLR... now we know X-Pro1 sucked. Big fat post-purchase bias. We just have to wait a couple of years to see the truth emerge above the thick layer of denial.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 07-18-2019 at 09:44 PM.
07-18-2019, 09:52 PM   #45
Veteran Member

We can observe that line of thinking with Fuji and Sony customers. What always amazed me with Fuji and Sony, is customers finally acknowledge now that the previous models weren't that good after all. When we told them, mirrorless isn't like nirvana, they were saying "no no no you are wrong, mirrorless is better". For example, we all know that the first two generations of mirrorless Sony and Fuji AF sucked big times, and now the size isn't an advantage anymore because all lenses are bigger than the ones formerly designed for DSLRs. But I remember very well at the time of Fuji selling their X-Pro1, Ed of "Photo Universe" praising Fuji mirrorless as so much better than DSLR... now we know X-Pro1 sucked. Big fat post-purchase bias. We just have to wait a couple of years to see the truth emerge above the thick layer of denial.
I've always said the menus suck. I've always said the build quality and ergonomics were average at best. Nobody has said that the previous models were good. Previous models were actually very good for the technology that was available at the time and the cost.... If they weren't they would have never sold as well as they did. Do you read anything that people actually write or do you just make things up as you go along?