07-16-2019, 08:47 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Sony A7r4 announced. 61mp.

$3500
61mp
26 mp APS-C crop mode
10 fps, 68 shot buffer at full resolution
16-shot pixelshift creates 240mp images

I wonder if A7r3 prices might come down a bit, making the r3 a direct K-1 competitor. 36mp remains adequate for me.

Sony Unveils a7R IV: The World's First 61MP Full-Frame Camera

07-16-2019, 08:53 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Really impressive specs. We'll have to see whether this translates well to real world use.

Also, notable: 16 pic pixel shift mode. Maybe this will spur Adobe or On1 or one of the other software companies to finally fully support pixel shift.
07-16-2019, 09:40 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by travelswsage Quote
Really impressive specs. We'll have to see whether this translates well to real world use.
You see what test come out of the GFX100 cropped, the A7r4 will have the same pixel pitch (~3.5um, I guess). Could be interesting for the apsc crop. But if Ricoh release an K3 successor with 26Mp, there will be little interest to switch from a K1 to a A7r4.

QuoteOriginally posted by travelswsage Quote
Also, notable: 16 pic pixel shift mode
That, I think is likely more of a super-resolution approach than a 4 x frames RGB shift, algorithms are different I suppose.

---------- Post added 16-07-19 at 18:44 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
I wonder if A7r3 prices might come down a bit, making the r3 a direct K-1 competitor. 36mp remains adequate for me.
If I wanted more resolution / image quality, I'd rather get a 645z, X1D or GFX50R. I don't believe in smaller pixels, except for the purpose of making center crops, simply because all lenses have their MTF (resolution, contrast, aberrations) getting worse at the edges and corners of the frame. When pushing the mega pixels without increasing the sensor size, all you get is more resolution in the center but no more res. at the edges and corners.
07-16-2019, 09:59 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

It's a very impressive camera!

07-16-2019, 10:07 AM - 3 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

For sure it's an impressive camera. I've been impressed by almost every new camera model released in the last 20 years but only when watching the promotional video on the day of announcement. One year after each release, I wasn't impressed anymore, the new specs became the new normal. However, my very best pictures when taken with a 10Mpixels CCD and if I print them they still look better then crappy shots taken with my 36Mp CMOS sensor, so I guess resolution isn't everything in the process.
07-16-2019, 10:20 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
So if folks were wondering if existing lenses could handle 24,36, or 42 Megapixels, what kind of lens do you need for 900 Mp?

Still impressive specs.

Be a good sensor to tweak for the K1 replacement in 18 months or so...

-Eric
07-16-2019, 10:38 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
what kind of lens do you need for 900 Mp?
G master! Sony target audience is the average enthusiast photographer who like to use high tech things.

There's a change of paradigm in the camera industry that none of the DSLR brands seem to have understood like Sony. Canon is the symbol of the camera maker that makes cameras for producing photographs, Pentax would be all about image quality and intuitive use of camera. On the other hand, Sony are into designing cameras and communication to geeks, running a technology race of their own, selling to the same people who change their smartphone every year because they want to always have the latest tech. To me, it looks like the interest for photography is quite low, the market now is all about electronic toys and Sony is the company best as surfing that wave. Canon and Nikon traditional approaches just will miss that geek market.

07-16-2019, 11:09 AM - 1 Like   #8

Dear Sony, put a dial on the left side. 😁
07-16-2019, 11:21 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
G master! Sony target audience is the average enthusiast photographer who like to use high tech things.

There's a change of paradigm in the camera industry that none of the DSLR brands seem to have understood like Sony. Canon is the symbol of the camera maker that makes cameras for producing photographs, Pentax would be all about image quality and intuitive use of camera. On the other hand, Sony are into designing cameras and communication to geeks, running a technology race of their own, selling to the same people who change their smartphone every year because they want to always have the latest tech. To me, it looks like the interest for photography is quite low, the market now is all about electronic toys and Sony is the company best as surfing that wave. Canon and Nikon traditional approaches just will miss that geek market.
The mass of their sales certainly comes from enthusiasts, like Canon and Nikon, but there seem to be more and more pros shooting with Sony gear. The feature set offers a whole lot to a broad range of photographers. Not to mention the addition of the new mic with a built in DAC. I know many who have made the switch from other platforms to Sony, and more who are strongly considering it. This new one’s pretty impressive. I’m really surprised at the buffer size and FPS at full resolution. Not to mention that crop mode offers basically the same resolution as their current aps-c offerings. Despite the advantages of really high res sensors, the a7r3 was too much for this enthusiast—so the newer one is even more so. My MacBook already screams at me when I’m editing 24mp images. :-)
07-16-2019, 11:42 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There's also a quick blurb in that press release about improved dust and moisture sealing. If they indeed did execute on that, it may shift as many Canon, Nikon and Pentax users as some of the tech specs do.
Plus they seem to have gotten some of the things that Canikon didn't with their new mirrorless releases. IBIS and dual card slots for example.
07-16-2019, 11:48 AM - 2 Likes   #11
Banned

And I was thinking that 36mp was overkill for almost anyone.
07-16-2019, 12:03 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
And I was thinking that 36mp was overkill for almost anyone.
There are other area of life where the money is better spent than spending so much money for taking pictures for viewing on a 4K display. I opened a thread here about printing, and I think about 4 or 5 other members were interested. Except Ads agencies, and pro on few occasions, almost no one print large enough to even justify 24Megapixels. Heck. Resolution isn't even the problem. My gear is less than 3 years old, and my budget isn't to spend 10Keuros into a new camera system every year no matter what are the specifications. Camera makers have to match the buying power of their average customers, otherwise more frequent camera releases isn't going to work.
07-16-2019, 12:17 PM   #13

...There's a sample gallery on DPR with portraits. Initial thoughts: in some half a year Canon will announce something like RS with 60-70 megapixel matrix, not that impressive on paper but with more pleasing colours
07-16-2019, 12:27 PM   #14
Pentaxian

With 61MP you can actually over sample a lens and it’s full performance. Stop thinking about outresolving the sensor. Many features are improved and they even present lens after lens. Not bad, no optical viewfinder though. Time to upgrade pc memory.

Refraction will hit you even earlier, DOF will be tiny.

Last edited by zapp; 07-16-2019 at 12:41 PM.
07-16-2019, 12:28 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Coiseam Quote
...There's a sample gallery on DPR with portraits. Initial thoughts: in some half a year Canon will announce something like RS with 60-70 megapixel matrix, not that impressive on paper but with more pleasing colours
Clean images indeed, the colors you get them by processing raw files. From images samples at low ISO and high ISO, detail at low ISO already shows the limit of the lenses, and at ISO2000 details are gone looking like wax / patches. What I can see in images samples is similar to what I've seen on images taken with the 5DSr, good at 100 ISO with sharp lenses (primes) and then the quality drops quickly as ISO increases.

---------- Post added 16-07-19 at 21:30 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
With 61MP you can actually over sample a lens and it’s full performance. Stop thinking about outresolving the sensor.
You can add an accelerator chip and get ultra clean 36Mpixel at high ISO. So that you don't need to upgrade pc memory.