Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 102 Likes Search this Thread
07-19-2019, 08:49 AM - 1 Like   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I am struck by how many have suddenly discovered pixel shift and are just now thinking of its implications.
I noticed that same thing. I don't know what to do of this, except thinking that some people are like horses wearing horse blinkers. All of a sudden IBIS is a must have and pixel shift is amazing.

07-19-2019, 09:44 AM - 1 Like   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I noticed that same thing. I don't know what to do of this, except thinking that some people are like horses wearing horse blinkers. All of a sudden IBIS is a must have and pixel shift is amazing.
People who haven't a clue what they are talking about most of the time. Most of us here in Pentax land are pretty much informed because of posts like this. Guarantee you none of these Canon, Nikon, Sony shooting dudes go back to those types of forums and explain Pentax. On one of the other sites I've been to, a Pentax user posted an announcement and review of the K-1, and got thoroughly lit into by a moderator, even though it claimed to be an all camera site. He was told he shouldn't make such posts until he established a reputation and had the respect of his peers. (In other words, if you don't shoot Nikon we won't even look at your pictures, so you'll never have a reputation.) I made a post with Pentax in the title for a few pixel shift images and maybe 5 people looked at the images and no one commented.

People are ignorant because they want to be.

---------- Post added 07-19-19 at 12:50 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
And I was thinking that 36mp was overkill for almost anyone.
I'm starting to think 24 MP is overkill for almost anyone.

WItht he K-P and accelerator looking as good as most k-1 images, I'm serious wondering if it might be time to downgrade.

Last edited by normhead; 07-19-2019 at 09:51 AM.
07-19-2019, 10:26 AM - 2 Likes   #63
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

for a third of the price of a Sony A7RIV and 28-70 kit lens, I can go 10 days in Iceland with my K1 kit and come back with landscape photographs with resolution that I could never get by playing with the menus of an Sony A7R4 at home.
Makes sense.

Instead of getting a new Sony camera, imagine if $/EUR 3500 was spent on photography education, courses, and workshops to improve one's knowledge and technique.

- Craig
07-19-2019, 12:28 PM - 1 Like   #64
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I'm starting to think 24 MP is overkill for almost anyone.
Main benefit of going to 24mp from 16mp is that I can crop even more of a photo and still have 6mp left.

07-19-2019, 01:36 PM - 1 Like   #65
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Makes sense.

Instead of getting a new Sony camera, imagine if $/EUR 3500 was spent on photography education, courses, and workshops to improve one's knowledge and technique.

- Craig
(joking) But if camera is good enough, you don’t need those things! Waste of money, waste of time!(end of joking)

was looking at if Ihad a budget of 3500 for a camera and some lenses. what would I get for that. I kind a had sometime to kill. Then I did look some examples made by Dprewiew(they have all he most recent cam, lens ect there in one place, where I just ended up after surfing at web.) long surfing short. It is up to photographer to make anything out of anything. All looking same, no matter what was what. Now I know(hope) it was not the intention of that thing, maybe. But it was just kind a eye opener to me. Just as it has been said before. Your cat pictures has never had as much resolution.

You NEED this! If you are a PRO you need this to justify your WORK.

okay, might be that (joking) has been not turned off..
07-19-2019, 02:07 PM   #66
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just looking at photo galleries from PF members who switched to Sony (nicolas06, K-Amps, LeRolls).
- In the flickr gallery of Nicolas, there is not a single new photo taken with his Sony A7, and he doesn't seem to have upload anything in other places (500px etc).
- In the flickr gallery of K-Amps, there is a series of outstanding landscape photographs he took with his Pentax K-1 in Iceland, and after that things seems to have slowed down and become confuse (a few average shots taken with his A7R3 and than nothing).
- In the flickr gallery of LeRolls, again fantastic images, most of them taken with the Pentax K-1 and FA*85. After that, some images taken with Sony A7 they are also good but I can't tell the difference with images from the K1. And then some images captures with an X-T3, I can see a little less quality (more noise, and waxed skin tones). I don't see any improvements after the switch away from Pentax K-1.

I like to look if users improved their photography after switching to Sony or Fuji or else, still looking forward to see how switching to Sony improved images, so far I'm rather disappointed. The only thing I can conclude for myself is that the Pentax gear was just fine.
I think it says more that a big chunk of their online posting was in relation to Pentax Forums and when that went away and they moved on, they posted less to Flickr and online in general.

But overall I think you make a valid point. The biggest factor in what sort of images my camera turns out lies just behind the viewfinder and changing my OVF for an EVF will not change that output much at all. For all of this talk about silent modes and mirror slap, those really are not the main reason that images work or don't work. If you have the right light, subject, compositional techniques, and are willing to use a tripod you should have good output with Pentax cameras. Switching to another brand, odds are your output will stay the same, but certainly it isn't going to get better unless you move up a sensor size.
07-19-2019, 05:31 PM   #67
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MetalUndivided Quote
I do. For one, mirrorless shutters are somewhat quieter since there's no mirror slap. That's not to mention that you can choose not to use the mechanical shutter at all.
You can use silent electronic shutters on the K-1 and KP, MU, but electronic shutters have lots of caveats, including for when there's movement. Mine's turned off most of the time.

07-19-2019, 05:48 PM   #68

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
You can use silent electronic shutters on the K-1 and KP, MU, but electronic shutters have lots of caveats, including for when there's movement. Mine's turned off most of the time.
Yes, but only in LiveView. As for the caveats I know about them, but I still sometimes wish I had the ability to shoot birds without spooking the living hell out of them.
07-19-2019, 06:40 PM   #69
Pentaxian

The original a7r was panned for its loud shutter, and rightly so. It's startlingly loud. I've found it to be an asset at the dog park, though. It gets their attention even better than silly mouth noises.

07-19-2019, 07:09 PM   #70
Veteran Member

Well, if I remember correctly, you got an A9, this was the time that mirrorless had comparable battery life and superior auto-focus. But how about all customers who bought into X-Pro1 and A7 who all claimed those models were better than DSLRs.
the people buying the Xpro-1 & A7 were mostly using adapted manual focus glass. The Leica M mount adapter was a big seller for the Fuji Xpro1. I don't remember anyone claiming that they were better than DSLR. I remember a lot of people buying them for how well they worked with vintage manual focus glass. It's not until the second generation that AF became close to comparable to DSLRs and in the case of the Fuji XT-2 it's not until firmware v.4 that AF really didn't suck.

07-19-2019, 08:35 PM - 1 Like   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
For all of this talk about silent modes and mirror slap, those really are not the main reason that images work or don't work. If you have the right light, subject, compositional techniques, and are willing to use a tripod you should have good output with Pentax cameras. Switching to another brand, odds are your output will stay the same, but certainly it isn't going to get better unless you move up a sensor size.
The difference is that shooting silently allows you to work on projects and in venues that you otherwise wouldn't be able to. The set photographer on a movie or TV show can't shoot while they are filming with a traditional DSLR with mirror slap and mechanical shutter. Shooting in the announcers booth? No. Shooting during the ceremony, No. Shooting people working in a recording studio? No. The pictures won't be better than what a mechanical DSLR could have captured if it were allowed to work, but silent shooting does open up possibilities. Shooting sleeping babies? The applications are specialized, but there are more uses than you think and you won't realize it until you start shooting with one. I actually like the sound of a mechanical shutter and love the one on my K-1, but there have been several events when shooting silent has been awesome. I can stand right next the the guy shooting video and take pictures without him knifing me for screwing up his audio.

---------- Post added 07-19-19 at 10:36 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Remember that you aren't the only one posting on here about mirrorless cameras.
But I was the one being quoted.

07-19-2019, 08:42 PM - 1 Like   #72
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MetalUndivided Quote
Yes, but only in LiveView. As for the caveats I know about them, but I still sometimes wish I had the ability to shoot birds without spooking the living hell out of them.
You can definitely shoot them in Live View. Get a hooded loupe if you like, turn the back LCD into an EVF.

A MILC is lacking a mirror, not a mechanical shutter - read above about the notorious A7R.
07-20-2019, 12:58 AM - 1 Like   #73
Veteran Member

The same was said about D850 when it came out. Too expensive, a little too much resolution, it will have just a small market interested in this camera, etc. Yet, it's one of the most, if not the most, balanced camera today and it's still selling very well among Pros and enthusiastic photographers despite the fact that it's not a cheap camera. Let's wait and see how this A7R IV will perform. Let's see the improvements in the viewfinder department because for lots of people this aspect it's more important than the price or the resolution of the camera. I knew from begining that photography can be expensive mostly due to lenses and I took actions (by actions I mean that I take paid shootings from time to time) in order to get the budget to cover the expenses for this hobby. This way I don't have to find excuses not to buy what I want.

There are photographers very happy by shooting with vintage lenses and cheap cameras. Why almost always the ones shooting with the latest gear available are considered marketing victims? Because the image quality of A7R IV will not be marginally better than the image quality of D850 or K1 II? In today market if you really need image quality you have medium format. If not, 24mp cameras are more than enough.

Look at internet. There are already "reviews" and verdicts about this camera 2 months before the official release. My God!
07-20-2019, 01:57 AM   #74

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
You can definitely shoot them in Live View. Get a hooded loupe if you like, turn the back LCD into an EVF.

A MILC is lacking a mirror, not a mechanical shutter - read above about the notorious A7R.
That's still a crutch. You get a low res screen with highly subpar AF performance (IIRC neither the KP nor the K-1 have PDAF in LiveView, only in video). It's useful for shooting timelapses without running through the resource of the mechanical shutter, but that's about it.
07-20-2019, 03:16 AM   #75
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
I knew from begining that photography can be expensive mostly due to lenses and I took actions
You accept to pay 30% more because Japanese camera companies refused to downsize their organizations.

I react differently. When I feel like camera makers have decided not to downsize but to increase prices for us who remain in the photo hobby, I take the action to set my camera budget to 0 euros.