Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 102 Likes Search this Thread
08-08-2019, 07:30 AM - 1 Like   #196
Lev
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zooland Quote
The MP race is on, phones are even reaching higher with Sony’s 48MP, Xiomi 64MP, and the next one at 108MP Samsung sensor.

Xiaomi to bring world's first 108MP camera smartphone - MSPoweruser
Can anyone tell me how 2mm in diameter lens should resolve 108MP please

08-08-2019, 07:37 AM   #197
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lev Quote
It won't.
08-08-2019, 07:48 AM - 1 Like   #198
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I don't' make much use of the 36 MP of my K-1, to the point if I got the same dynamic range out of an APS-c body, I'd sell it. For me, the MP race is over. I suspect for a lot of others as well. After all, the high MP has to provide some tangible benefit to you. Well some people buy it just because it's bigger and for some bigger is always better, but I doubt a lot of the market is like that.
Will you really sell your K-1?
08-08-2019, 09:37 AM - 1 Like   #199
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Will you really sell your K-1?
Not as long as I lose or any DR at 100 ISO. But if they can come up with an APS-c as good for sunsets and sunrises....

There's been all kinds , wedding togs. wild life togs, happy with 24 or even 20 MP, there are a lot of uses where people have gone back to lower MPS and been totally happy.

08-08-2019, 10:53 AM - 1 Like   #200
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lev Quote
It should resolve it on paper.
08-08-2019, 02:41 PM   #201
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The MP race is on, phones are even reaching higher with Sony’s 48MP, Xiomi 64MP, and the next one at 108MP Samsung sensor.

The Nokia Pureview some years ago had 48 MP already and the pictures were nothing too spectacular.
08-08-2019, 07:41 PM   #202
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
The people who are most likely to buy this sort of camera are current Sony users, not people who just purchased a Z6 or EOS R.
True, but Sony also wants to catch the attention of anyone who may be about to buy into a new Canon or Nikon system. They're grabbing attention with big MP numbers, something easy to compare and claim superiority on.

I agree that there isn't really anything new in the market that's satisfying any needs that weren't already satisfied. It's a little more of this, a little better at that. It's been more than five years since I bought my current camera, and there's nothing offering enough of an improvement in the things I care about to justify the cost of an upgrade right now.

I'm still glad to see more companies join the FF mirrorless market. They all bring their own unique approach to the category.

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I don't' make much use of the 36 MP of my K-1, to the point if I got the same dynamic range out of an APS-c body, I'd sell it. For me, the MP race is over. I suspect for a lot of others as well. After all, the high MP has to provide some tangible benefit to you. Well some people buy it just because it's bigger and for some bigger is always better, but I doubt a lot of the market is like that.
I feel the same way. Whatever my next camera is, I'd prefer something in the ~20 megapixel neighborhood. That's already overkill for most shots.

Assuming it's a 1/1.7" sensor like the 64MP one announced at the same time, this is a pixel pitch of 0.63µm. I believe that means it's already diffraction-limited at an aperture of f/1.8?

A full-frame sensor with the same pixel size would have a resolution of 2,166 megapixels.

08-09-2019, 02:48 AM   #203
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
True, but Sony also wants to catch the attention of anyone who may be about to buy into a new Canon or Nikon system. They're grabbing attention with big MP numbers, something easy to compare and claim superiority on.

I agree that there isn't really anything new in the market that's satisfying any needs that weren't already satisfied. It's a little more of this, a little better at that. It's been more than five years since I bought my current camera, and there's nothing offering enough of an improvement in the things I care about to justify the cost of an upgrade right now.

I'm still glad to see more companies join the FF mirrorless market. They all bring their own unique approach to the category.

I feel the same way. Whatever my next camera is, I'd prefer something in the ~20 megapixel neighborhood. That's already overkill for most shots.
Assuming it's a 1/1.7" sensor like the 64MP one announced at the same time, this is a pixel pitch of 0.63µm. I believe that means it's already diffraction-limited at an aperture of f/1.8?

A full-frame sensor with the same pixel size would have a resolution of 2,166 megapixels.
My analysis is that people who haven't gone Sony mirrorless yet haven't because of some reason -- they don't like mirrorless cameras, they don't like Sony, or they think that the ergonomics aren't great on Sony cameras. Sony has been around for awhile and up till recently has owned the MILC market. People who haven't bought one already and are now considering a Z6 are unlikely to consider a 3500 dollar 61 megapixel Sony.

The people who are likely to purchase it are wealthy amateurs who have to have "the best" and are already invested in Sony. I'm just not sure how many of those are out there.
08-09-2019, 03:09 AM   #204
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have been recently informed of a friend's decision (absolutely *not* into photography) to purchase an a6400 camera because "it's Sony's latest model and it has the best tech". Spec-sheet oriented people exist. If it doesn't have 11K video at half a million fps it is not worth considering because who could manage to take a photo on anything worse, obviously...
08-09-2019, 05:39 AM   #205
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
The people who are likely to purchase it are wealthy amateurs who have to have "the best" and are already invested in Sony. I'm just not sure how many of those are out there.
We have to look at Sony's sales for A7R III, a camera priced at 3600 at its release. We also have to look at Canon 5DsR sales and also at the internet discussions where people are waiting for the upgrade. That camera was also priced at 3500$ or more. Let's also look at D850 sales. These 3 companies sell 90% of cameras and we do see lots of people with 3500$ cameras.

We don't know who is going to buy it and we don't know the arguments of people buying these cameras as long as we are not in the market for them. Let's be serious, 3500$ for a working photographer is not that much as long as this is an investment for a few years.
08-09-2019, 05:51 PM   #206
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
We don't know who is going to buy it and we don't know the arguments of people buying these cameras as long as we are not in the market for them. Let's be serious, 3500$ for a working photographer is not that much as long as this is an investment for a few years.
Well-stated. I know several professionals. I have learned from them, that they can make enough, from one job, to buy one of those ~$3500 cameras.
And then, write the cost off as a business expense.
08-09-2019, 06:44 PM - 1 Like   #207
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jlstrawman Quote
Well-stated. I know several professionals. I have learned from them, that they can make enough, from one job, to buy one of those ~$3500 cameras.
You move in high end circles.

Most professional photographers I know are scraping by and are using D610/6D II level cameras with f1.8 primes and f4 zooms. They are shooting high school senior shoots for a few hundred and the occasional wedding for a couple of thousand. If they expense a 3500 dollar camera body, they might not eat for awhile.
08-10-2019, 06:29 AM   #208
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jlstrawman Quote
That’s been my experience too. Most pros I know wouldn’t hesitate to pick up one to test and a second if they like it. That’s not much money for a tool compared to many jobs, especially if your hourly is high enough. Of course, I know others who aren’t in markets that allow them to make casual $4k decisions. But, I didn’t find the price tag of the new body out of line at all. It’s exactly what they charged for the A7riii at release—and they sold a lot of them.
08-10-2019, 09:06 AM   #209
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by neokind Quote
It’s exactly what they charged for the A7riii at release—and they sold a lot of them.
That is the exact target group to buy the new A7RIV. The question is if they mostly own and use the A7Riii. .......then will they upgrade or don't need to, because they have a good camera.
08-10-2019, 10:17 AM   #210
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
That is the exact target group to buy the new A7RIV. The question is if they mostly own and use the A7Riii. .......then will they upgrade or don't need to, because they have a good camera.
The same could have been said of the upgrade from A7Rii to Riii, no?