Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-08-2019, 10:35 PM   #1
Pentaxian

A7RII vs K-1

Assuming one could build his first FF system from the ground and both can be had for the same price (1K-ish USD)

Which road should you pick?

For non pro work (landscape, family, etc.)

Thank you in advance

08-08-2019, 11:02 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I would go with the K-1 mainly due to it haveing In-body image stabalization, huge backwards compatability to all of their K-mount lenses going back to 1975 (though there are issues with the "Ricoh" KR variant), their comparable lenses are around half the price of Sony's (especially the 24-70/70-200mm f2.8's)
08-09-2019, 02:30 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The A7r II does have in body image stabilization too, but I do think the important thing is to consider the lens line up you would want to build. Sony has a lot of lenses available, but they tend to fall into two categories: nothing special and really expensive.

Personally, I would go toward a K-1 because I have a lot of K mount lenses already and I don't do well with EVFs (they all seem to give me eye strain/headaches).
08-09-2019, 03:27 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Cameravile has 2 reviews that might be worth looking at...

Sensor test

Pixel shift comparison

08-09-2019, 03:50 AM   #5
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

I would go with the K-1.
- I want a proper optical viewfinder
- I don't like big lenses (and even though Ricoh is cranking out some huge lenses these days there's still a good selection of compact optics out there.)
- I've never held an A7, but I know I like the ergonomics of the K-1

Does the IBIS on the A7 still only work with native lenses? If so, that's pretty severe limitation.

Either system would fulfil my needs, though. I'm sure I could live with an EVF if I had to. Maybe not live happily, but I would live
08-09-2019, 04:45 AM - 4 Likes   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

sony versus K1

I have the A7 riii and K1. For family and landscape I would go with the K1. To me the colors of the K1 are richer. Don't get me wrong I love the sony and it is the camera I go to but I want to be able to do action shots (BIF, etc) and the focus is amazing. for what you are doing, K1 all the way.
08-09-2019, 07:35 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

#neversony

08-09-2019, 10:36 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Sorry to add to the pile, but I would probably choose a fixed Nikon 600 or 610. I greatly prefer the K-1 since I have lenses for it.. but I also prefer spending less, and elder Nikon glass with vr would be fine by me. No plans to abandon ship though.
08-09-2019, 12:11 PM - 3 Likes   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wed7 Quote
Assuming one could build his first FF system from the ground and both can be had for the same price (1K-ish USD)

Which road should you pick?

For non pro work (landscape, family, etc.)

Thank you in advance
This is a Pentax board so the answer you are going to get is Pentax.

If you don't own any lenses and you are starting from zero and you are not a working professional.... I wouldn't bother going full frame. Get a m4/3 camera or maybe a Fuji XT-2/XH-1 for cheap. There are professional shooting with m4/3 and Fuji. They are both more than capable of professional results. The OMD-EM1 mark 2 is an excellent camera for the money with some really good modern glass. Its a small system that you are probably more likely to carry with you to family events and trips. I love the K-1 and the DFA* 70-200mm, but they are big and heavy. That is the trade-off for having a camera that is built like a tank.... Its heavy like a tank. 16MP is more than enough for 99% of the pictures you will be taking.
08-09-2019, 02:11 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

What Winder said.
08-09-2019, 04:56 PM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

First of all, I am not a Pentax fanboy. I have never been a fanboy of anything I use and I have never called myself a Pentaxian although using it since Z1. I was thinking about moving to Sony Mirror-less full-frame a while ago and asked myself a similar question. I sold most of my lenses and ready to jump the ship late last year, but the more I look into A7's family the more I feel like I shouldn't go there. So I still keep my option open.

Here are 4 most important things for me:
Dynamic range: Pentax use Sony sensor, so it is not much to debate here. I like what Sony is doing on their sensor technology and thank them develop the technology for another brand to use as well. But sometimes I am surprised at how far they push their own tech on their camera too. The Pixelshift video posted by @jgnfld is a good example.

Lense prices: To me, the lenses I will likely buy if I move to Sony are way way too expensive for a hobbyist. Note that I want Autofocus lenses. As I live in Japan; it is a lot more for me to select both new & used, digital era & film era on Pentax's land. You better look into the list of lenses you want too. A lot of my Sony friend have only 1 or 2 native lenses and they look at my (used to have) collection with envy eyes, lol.

Weather seal: No, I am not always shooting in the rain ... but I like to shoot in the rain and do it often. I have been using the K3 during typhoon days. Rain and wind are a lot worse than in this video
Typhoon type of rain is not a problem with the K3 so I expect K1 to be as good or even better.

Size and weight: This is a debatable area for me. Weight and size when talking about body + lenses, Sony is still a winner to me but not much because K1 body might be heavier but I don't have a taste for larger heavier lenses anyway. So again, It is a lot of good older Pentax autofocus lenses in the market. I can save myself a lot of Grams and $$$ using those options. (Yes, I like good lenses and I know about the modern lenses' design for digital sensor arguments but I couldn't care less about the few pixel on the 4 corners of the image.)

I am still using K3 and looking for an alternative lighter FF body that's why I have an idea of moving to A7 options in the first place and found out things I mention above after really look into it. A kind of coming back to a full circle! (And Yes, CP+ early 2019 was just another disappointment for me which I am a kind of sick and tired of it.)

Anyway, ask yourself what matter for you most and what brand has the better solutions. You might come up with a different answer than me.

Last edited by pakinjapan; 08-09-2019 at 06:42 PM.
08-09-2019, 09:29 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pakinjapan Quote
First of all, I am not a Pentax fanboy. I have never been a fanboy of anything I use and I have never called myself a Pentaxian although using it since Z1. I was thinking about moving to Sony Mirror-less full-frame a while ago and asked myself a similar question. I sold most of my lenses and ready to jump the ship late last year, but the more I look into A7's family the more I feel like I shouldn't go there. So I still keep my option open.

Here are 4 most important things for me:
Dynamic range: Pentax use Sony sensor, so it is not much to debate here. I like what Sony is doing on their sensor technology and thank them develop the technology for another brand to use as well. But sometimes I am surprised at how far they push their own tech on their camera too. The Pixelshift video posted by @jgnfld is a good example.

Lense prices: To me, the lenses I will likely buy if I move to Sony are way way too expensive for a hobbyist. Note that I want Autofocus lenses. As I live in Japan; it is a lot more for me to select both new & used, digital era & film era on Pentax's land. You better look into the list of lenses you want too. A lot of my Sony friend have only 1 or 2 native lenses and they look at my (used to have) collection with envy eyes, lol.

Weather seal: No, I am not always shooting in the rain ... but I like to shoot in the rain and do it often. I have been using the K3 during typhoon days. Rain and wind are a lot worse than in this video Weather Sealing Test: Nikon D850 vs Sony A7R III - YouTube
Typhoon type of rain is not a problem with the K3 so I expect K1 to be as good or even better.

Size and weight: This is a debatable area for me. Weight and size when talking about body + lenses, Sony is still a winner to me but not much because K1 body might be heavier but I don't have a taste for larger heavier lenses anyway. So again, It is a lot of good older Pentax autofocus lenses in the market. I can save myself a lot of Grams and $$$ using those options. (Yes, I like good lenses and I know about the modern lenses' design for digital sensor arguments but I couldn't care less about the few pixel on the 4 corners of the image.)

I am still using K3 and looking for an alternative lighter FF body that's why I have an idea of moving to A7 options in the first place and found out things I mention above after really look into it. A kind of coming back to a full circle! (And Yes, CP+ early 2019 was just another disappointment for me which I am a kind of sick and tired of it.)

Anyway, ask yourself what matter for you most and what brand has the better solutions. You might come up with a different answer than me.
Another pea on the same pod.

What piqued me with the Sony's are the availability of small and WR primes (35/1.8, 55/1.8 & 85/1.8).
Maximizing the size and weight advantage of a mirrorless system while having SR, WR and perhaps can use the slight AF speed advantage but with a huge additional cost.

I know it is a Pentax forum and I have expected replies. I have been here for quite sometime and have valued the folks (some) here with their principles in photography.

I can settle for a KP plus DA 20-40 +*55 and call it quits. But the FF itch is still with me. (I preferred details in photos but there is my alter ego that is sooo into bokeholic. :P)

A close friend is offering me his pre loved A7Rii for 1k. It's like a knocking opportunity for me.
08-09-2019, 09:48 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Another pea on the same pod.

What piqued me with the Sony's are the availability of small and WR primes (35/1.8, 55/1.8 & 85/1.8).
Maximizing the size and weight advantage of a mirrorless system while having SR, WR and perhaps can use the slight AF speed advantage but with a huge additional cost.

I know it is a Pentax forum and I have expected replies. I have been here for quite sometime and have valued the folks (some) here with their principles in photography.

I can settle for a KP plus DA 20-40 +*55 and call it quits. But the FF itch is still with me. (I preferred details in photos but there is my alter ego that is sooo into bokeholic. :P)

A close friend is offering me his pre loved A7Rii for 1k. It's like a knocking opportunity for me.
If you have a good deal on the A7RII, then it's its hard to say no. I own the 85mm F/1.8 and the 55mm F/1.8 and they are both excellent lenses given their size and cost. I've used both extensively for weddings and events and neither has disappointed. If you are really into bokeh though, those lenses aren't going to give you the best. The Fuji 56mm F/1.2 is going to give you the same results as the 85mm F/1.8. The Fuji 35mm F/1.4 is probably a better all around lens than the Sony Zeiss 55mm F/1.8. To get the most out of the FF body you will want the F/1.4 glass or the 100mm STF. I shoot with Sony as my main system now (A9) and the system is capable of amazing results.

08-10-2019, 08:54 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
If you have a good deal on the A7RII, then it's its hard to say no. I own the 85mm F/1.8 and the 55mm F/1.8 and they are both excellent lenses given their size and cost. I've used both extensively for weddings and events and neither has disappointed. If you are really into bokeh though, those lenses aren't going to give you the best. The Fuji 56mm F/1.2 is going to give you the same results as the 85mm F/1.8. The Fuji 35mm F/1.4 is probably a better all around lens than the Sony Zeiss 55mm F/1.8. To get the most out of the FF body you will want the F/1.4 glass or the 100mm STF. I shoot with Sony as my main system now (A9) and the system is capable of amazing results.

Thanks Winder, I try too look at the Fujifilm too. Used market offers good pricing.

Which Olympus modern lenses are you referring to?
08-10-2019, 10:28 AM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

Thanks Winder, I try too look at the Fujifilm too. Used market offers good pricing.

Which Olympus modern lenses are you referring to?
Here is a comparison between the 55mm F/1.8 (in crop) and the Olympus 45mm F/1.2 Pro

Last edited by Winder; 08-10-2019 at 10:33 AM.