Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2019, 10:57 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2015
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,003
Leica 50mm f2.0 L-mount $4495

From the other website...
Leica announces APO-Summicron-SL 50mm F2 L-mount lens: Digital Photography Review

Leica has just announced their 50mm f2.0 Summicron for L is available for $4,495.

The DFA seems more like a bargain suddenly...

-Eric

08-15-2019, 11:07 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian




Join Date: Feb 2015
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,914
Companies that don't invest enough in R&D of new products seems to be doomed, and the other companies that keep investing in R&D with fewer and fewer customers must increase their prices to crazy levels. Photography is going to become only for upper society.
08-15-2019, 11:15 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
boriscleto's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: North Syracuse, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 15,184
QuoteQuote:
Leica has announced its APO-Summicron-SL 50mm F2 lens, which is designed for the L-mount system. The lens is smaller, lighter and, as you'd expect, cheaper than Leica's F1.4 variant.
So how much does the 1.4 cost?

From the comments

QuoteQuote:
"The new APO-Summicron-SL 50 mm f/2 ASPH. consists of twelve expertly designed lens elements"

How about an option for eight elements designed by an intern and price of $1995?
08-15-2019, 12:23 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2010
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,696
You should have L-mount camera for free if you buy one of these lenses..

08-15-2019, 12:41 PM   #5
Pentaxian




Join Date: Feb 2015
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,914
QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
Leica has just announced their 50mm f2.0 Summicron for L is available for $4,495.
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
How about an option for eight elements designed by an intern and price of $1995?
In both cases customers save $5 over the respective prices $4500 and $2000.
08-15-2019, 07:44 PM   #6
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Western Canada
Posts: 7,020
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
In both cases customers save $5 over the respective prices $4500 and $2000.
With that saving...I'm sorely tempted.
08-15-2019, 09:58 PM   #7
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,695
Good to see that some companies follow a vision and deliver lenses that go along with that vision. There are still customers for such lenses, so it is a smart design. This lens was not designed for price or to be compared to an f/1.4.
08-15-2019, 11:30 PM   #8
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2010
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,696
Ofcourse it is great to be able to buy kuxury items and it is great that Zeiss is holding up their high standards. That is what their customers are after

08-16-2019, 02:08 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 43
QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
From the other website...
Leica announces APO-Summicron-SL 50mm F2 L-mount lens: Digital Photography Review

Leica has just announced their 50mm f2.0 Summicron for L is available for $4,495.

The DFA seems more like a bargain suddenly...

-Eric
The DFA is a wonderful lens and well priced in my opinion. It can deliver beautiful images.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
08-16-2019, 02:46 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian




Join Date: Feb 2015
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,914
QuoteOriginally posted by vdubois Quote
The DFA is a wonderful lens and well priced in my opinion. It can deliver beautiful images.
Part of the leica lenses performance is a placebo, in the mind of the owner. In fact, you could have people easily people guess Pentax pictures were taken with Leica lens in a blind test. I did the test myself, pulling out a bunch of photographs from Leica pools, and mix them up with photographs taken with Pentax glass, then having to select which was which. There are so many variables in a photograph, such as light, subject to background distance, ISO setting, choice of subject, shooting angle etc. that in practice it is nearly impossible to figure out gear was used.
08-16-2019, 04:39 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2015
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,003
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
There are so many variables in a photograph, such as light, subject to background distance, ISO setting, choice of subject, shooting angle etc. that in practice it is nearly impossible to figure out gear was used.
Agreed, outside of a few special cases (that telephoto bird shot was not taken with a Diana...)

I mean, I can ruin an image with the best camera in the world while getting something pretty good out of a crusty K1000 with an off-brand 28mm on a T4 mount...

-Eric
08-16-2019, 05:08 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
c.a.m's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,416
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
From the comments:
"The new APO-Summicron-SL 50 mm f/2 ASPH. consists of twelve expertly designed lens elements"How about an option for eight elements designed by an intern and price of $1995?
That's witty!

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
You should have L-mount camera for free if you buy one of these lenses..
That would be the 'kit camera' I assume.

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
In both cases customers save $5 over the respective prices $4500 and $2000.
Manufacturer's List Price $4500, street $4495.



In the meantime, I'll continue to shoot with my Pentax-F 50/1.7, for which I paid $40.

- Craig
08-16-2019, 12:36 PM   #13
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Western Canada
Posts: 7,020
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Part of the leica lenses performance is a placebo, in the mind of the owner. In fact, you could have people easily people guess Pentax pictures were taken with Leica lens in a blind test. I did the test myself, pulling out a bunch of photographs from Leica pools, and mix them up with photographs taken with Pentax glass, then having to select which was which. There are so many variables in a photograph, such as light, subject to background distance, ISO setting, choice of subject, shooting angle etc. that in practice it is nearly impossible to figure out gear was used.
One long weekend, back in the 1980's , I had a Leica M6 and a 28mm, 50 and 90 lenses...all of Leica manufacture. Out of curiosity I decided to 'test' my Pentax ES ll (screw mount) and Takumar 28, 50 ( f 1.8) and Tak 135mm lens vs the M series Leica and the assortment of lenses. I know comparisons are odious, etc...but I was curious.

All photos were taken outdoors and lighting / lens focal lengths (except for the 90/135) were similar. I would take the same pix with the Leica and equivalent lens, then quickly after take the pix with my ES ll and equivalent lens.

My results were very similar to your results. No one I showed the developed pix to, seemed to be able to tell which was which.

But I still wanted that Leica M 6 and lens kit very much.
08-19-2019, 01:56 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,385
Back around 1967 I worked at a small town camera store that carried Leica. Leitz was hosting an event at the university to show off equipment (including microscopes and other scientific equipment, and their large-auditorium projectors), and the Rep asked us to do a nature safari collecting slides to show. The group had mainly Leica, but some of us with Pentax & Nikon also went along and used them. Before the Leitz Rep came to town the slides were sorted and the best arranged in slide trays for the Leitz projector.
When all was set up the Rep previewed all the slides. He would occasionally back up a slide or two and study it, then say to remove it because it wasn’t taken with a Leica lens. He was right in every case, even though we couldn’t tell the difference.
There are subtle differences, whether in coloration or the focus-unfocus transition. It wasn’t sharpness or max aperture, as I used a 55 f2.0 Super Tak, and the Leicas used f2 and f2.8 lenses, and the group commented on how sharp my Pentax was.
That convinced me there is a “family” similarity in Leica lenses, but I’m not discriminating enough to notice it.
08-31-2019, 09:16 AM   #15
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,695
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Part of the leica lenses performance is a placebo, in the mind of the owner. In fact, you could have people easily people guess Pentax pictures were taken with Leica lens in a blind test. I did the test myself, pulling out a bunch of photographs from Leica pools, and mix them up with photographs taken with Pentax glass, then having to select which was which. There are so many variables in a photograph, such as light, subject to background distance, ISO setting, choice of subject, shooting angle etc. that in practice it is nearly impossible to figure out gear was used.
Some people don‘t see the difference, some are searching for either the wrong Leica lens. Some Leica lenses are very unique and you can see the difference in drawing a picture. Other lenses draw also very nicely, but we all are looking for that special drawing. Leica lenses will not make you abetted photographer, but a lux 80, the old cron 90, and many other lenses are different.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
50mm, 50mm f2.0 l-mount, f2.0, leica, leica 50mm f2.0
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Leica X2 and Leica V-Lux 40 jpzk Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 9 05-11-2012 06:21 PM
Ricoh GXR Leica M-mount APS-C module, K-mount next? LFLee Pentax News and Rumors 60 10-18-2011 07:11 AM
50mm f/1.1 Noctilux -- Leica Mount -- $900!? Aperturae Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 5 12-27-2009 02:09 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:34 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top