Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2019, 05:23 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Tamron Launching 4 New Sony FE Lenses

70-200MM
35mm
50mm
85mm

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/official-tamron-teaser-for-the-launch-of-fou...ony-fe-lenses/

This will bring the total of lenses that Tamron makes for the FE mount to 6.

08-22-2019, 06:23 AM   #2
Pentaxian

There's certainly room in the market for something cheaper than the Sony lenses but better quality than the ones from Samyang.
08-22-2019, 07:13 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
There's certainly room in the market for something cheaper than the Sony lenses but better quality than the ones from Samyang.
Optically the Samyang lenses are surprisingly good and given the price they are a great value. I don't know about the longevity of the AF motors or how well they are constructed, but optically they are very good.

Tamron has the ability to make very high quality optics, but I think they struggle with being able to charge a premium as a 3rd party manufacturer. Tamron is the largest OEM lens manufacturer in the industry, so making lenses with OEM quality not a problem. I think the Tamron SP lenses for Canon/Nikon are very good lenses for the money. I wish they were available for K-mount.
08-22-2019, 08:19 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
70-200MM
35mm
50mm
85mm

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/official-tamron-teaser-for-the-launch-of-fou...ony-fe-lenses/

They haven't actually announced the focal lengths, have they? I know the longer zoom is expected to be 70-200/2.8 or probably 75-200 if they fit Tamron's other FE FLs. Both the 17-28 and 28-75 have gotten pretty rave reviews, and the price is hard to beat for the quality and performance. I was waiting for the 17-28, but ended up buying the Sony 16-35/4 instead, though I may trade it out if I try out the Tamron and like it better. It's good to have a veteran 3rd party manufacturer making reliable and good lenses for this mount to fit between the lower end Samyangs and the more expensive Sony designs.

08-22-2019, 10:28 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I saw the rumor yesterday. I hope one of the primes is a 35 1.4, or 1.8. I am looking at the Sigma 35 1.4 now. I will hold out until it is announced.
08-22-2019, 10:37 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by neokind Quote
They haven't actually announced the focal lengths, have they? I know the longer zoom is expected to be 70-200/2.8 or probably 75-200 if they fit Tamron's other FE FLs. Both the 17-28 and 28-75 have gotten pretty rave reviews, and the price is hard to beat for the quality and performance. I was waiting for the 17-28, but ended up buying the Sony 16-35/4 instead, though I may trade it out if I try out the Tamron and like it better. It's good to have a veteran 3rd party manufacturer making reliable and good lenses for this mount to fit between the lower end Samyangs and the more expensive Sony designs.
Not officially, but they have 3 primes coming and the 3 that make the most sense are the 35mm, 50mm, & 85mm. Tamron designed and probably manufacturers the Zeiss Batis line of lenses for Zeiss. Its possible we see Tamron versions of these designs since Tamron has the patent on them. That's assuming they didn't sell the design to Zeiss. Batis doesn't have a 50mm or a 35mm so I think Tamron will produce these.
08-22-2019, 07:50 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Not officially, but they have 3 primes coming and the 3 that make the most sense are the 35mm, 50mm, & 85mm. Tamron designed and probably manufacturers the Zeiss Batis line of lenses for Zeiss. Its possible we see Tamron versions of these designs since Tamron has the patent on them. That's assuming they didn't sell the design to Zeiss. Batis doesn't have a 50mm or a 35mm so I think Tamron will produce these.
Totally makes sense. I just thought by your post that I must have missed the focal length announcement, as it wasn't clear to me that you were guessing. Let's hope that they have a fast 35 to contend with the new Sony release.

08-22-2019, 09:42 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Totally makes sense. I just thought by your post that I must have missed the focal length announcement, as it wasn't clear to me that you were guessing. Let's hope that they have a fast 35 to contend with the new Sony release.
I would expect that they are F/1.8 primes at the most and maybe F/2.

I'm expecting something along the lines of the Batis line or the Tamron SP lenses. That seem to be where Tamron does really well.

08-22-2019, 11:47 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The FE mount is great to have. Thanks for keeping us posted. I'm on the edge of jumping ship
08-23-2019, 03:56 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Optically the Samyang lenses are surprisingly good and given the price they are a great value. I don't know about the longevity of the AF motors or how well they are constructed, but optically they are very good.

Tamron has the ability to make very high quality optics, but I think they struggle with being able to charge a premium as a 3rd party manufacturer. Tamron is the largest OEM lens manufacturer in the industry, so making lenses with OEM quality not a problem. I think the Tamron SP lenses for Canon/Nikon are very good lenses for the money. I wish they were available for K-mount.
I've read a lot of complaints regarding AF in the Samyang lenses, I think that's the main problem.

Surely Sigma are bigger than Tamron? Or do you mean that Tamron are making a lot of lenses which are then sold under other brands (I know they do this for Pentax but don't know about anybody else)?

QuoteOriginally posted by Culture Quote
I saw the rumor yesterday. I hope one of the primes is a 35 1.4, or 1.8. I am looking at the Sigma 35 1.4 now. I will hold out until it is announced.
I think the Sigma lenses for FE are just DSLR lenses with a built-in converter, meaning they're unnecessarily big. An SLR mount version and a separate adapter would be better as it would provide the same functionality and allow other SLR lenses to be mounted. The Tamron ones are designed for mirrorless so they should be correspondingly smaller and lighter.
08-23-2019, 04:58 AM - 1 Like   #11
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Surely Sigma are bigger than Tamron? Or do you mean that Tamron are making a lot of lenses which are then sold under other brands (I know they do this for Pentax but don't know about anybody else)?
Surprisingly Tamron is much bigger then Sigma. Three times as big.
08-23-2019, 07:16 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I've read a lot of complaints regarding AF in the Samyang lenses, I think that's the main problem.

I think the Sigma lenses for FE are just DSLR lenses with a built-in converter, meaning they're unnecessarily big. An SLR mount version and a separate adapter would be better as it would provide the same functionality and allow other SLR lenses to be mounted. The Tamron ones are designed for mirrorless so they should be correspondingly smaller and lighter.
Tamron makes most of the kit lenses for Canon & Nikon and probably Sony. They also make the Batis lenses for Zeiss. Most of Tamron's business comes from making lenses for Canon, Nikon, Sony, Pentax. At one point Sony was the largest share holder in Tamron.

Samyang has struggled with DSLR AF, but on Sony mirrorless they have done rather well.

Sigma is a relatively small family owned company.

---------- Post added 08-23-19 at 09:21 AM ----------

The FE 35mm F/1.8 is going to be hard to beat. I know it's not a "cheap" lens, but so far all of the reviews are very positive.
Whip Smart: Sony’s new FE 35mm f/1.8 is the lens we have been waiting for – Chad Wadsworth | Photographer

Maybe Tamron can hit the under $500 price point.
08-31-2019, 02:18 PM   #13
Veteran Member

So I bought the samyang 35 f1.4. I have been comparing the two lens, Sigma and Samyang.
The samyang is better and cheapter than the sigma, but I was still leaning towards the sigma.

The samyang price got reduced again by 9%. And I just ordered it.
Probably the price came down for fear of what tamron might release. Either way I think I am satisfied based on reviews.
Havent received the lens though. I asked them to update the firmware before send it to me.

Culture.
09-10-2019, 09:21 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So I bought the samyang 35 f1.4. I have been comparing the two lens, Sigma and Samyang.
The samyang is better and cheapter than the sigma, but I was still leaning towards the sigma.

The samyang price got reduced again by 9%. And I just ordered it.
Probably the price came down for fear of what tamron might release. Either way I think I am satisfied based on reviews.
Havent received the lens though. I asked them to update the firmware before send it to me.

Culture.
The samyang 35mm is and excellent lens for the money. Only complaints I ever hear are from people using it for video with some AF hunting. For still photography its hard to justify the price of the Sony Zeiss 35mm F/1.4.

---------- Post added 09-10-19 at 11:24 AM ----------

Looks like a 70mm - 180mm F/2.8 is one of the lenses. As long as its a true 180mm on the long end at the minimum focus distance.

09-23-2019, 12:05 AM   #15
Veteran Member

They all seem to be 2.8 glasses.

I wonder why tamron went that route. it doesnt make any sense unless it is going to be cheap.