Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-07-2019, 04:44 PM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Trickortreat Quote
Wait wait wait... so i dont need need to use step down metering?
Not unless you want to. It is an option in M mode, but not required.

QuoteOriginally posted by Trickortreat Quote
What are those M B X modes?
M is manual i suppose. What are other 2?
M is for "manual" where you set everything.

B is for "bulb" which is the traditional name for the setting where the shutter is held open for time exposures.

X is a traditional setting for use with electronic flash and will fire the shutter at the flash sync speed. X is only found on flagship model cameras, but is basically the same as using M mode with the shutter speed set to the sync speed or below (1/180s for APS-C models).

Steve

09-18-2019, 05:12 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
I use my legacy Pentax lenses on a Sony A7 with excellent results, and I imagine the Z6 would be better. Only disadvantage with adapted lenses is no auto diaphragm operation, so you use them stopped down. However, I haven’t found this to be much of an issue - as the EVF always stays bright, and I can still find best focus
Looking at reviews from z6, it doesn't seem much of a problem indeed. the Evf makes up apparently.
I found the evf of a z6 actually huge.

Vs Ovf the peaking function visible in the evf also seems like an advantage to me. Peaking in the evf vs the focus confirmation red dot in my k3 might work better with m lenses. With the red dot confirmation you might still miss and focus on a leaf behind a person face e.g..

As far as i know there seems to be some sort of focus confirmation also with the frame turning green when the desired focus point is in focus.

so far for photography, where i'd still prefer a k1 for FF use of my lenses ;-) but it's good to know that it would work fine.
But it is the video side of things that draws me to a z6. I can't buy both..

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
A few more to join it too.

Nikon's 2020/21 Z lens lineup roadmap has been leaked - DIY Photography
yep, nice line up.
Probably i should take a look at sony or panasonic also, but the z6 offer is very solid.

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
Time to time I have a need of video. Now depending how ’serious’ I want to be, I can just sigh and think of other options. But then they would not be that cheap either.
this is what is holding me back a bit.
One option is to get an apsc +- video oriented camera (much cheaper than a FF) but then i'd miss the FF experience (for photography) and overall native use of my m lenses.

Or i can still wait a bit. I am in no hurry, as i can borrow a black magic from a friend. But it would be nice to have something of my own.
One never knows what pentax comes up with.. ;-)
09-18-2019, 06:00 AM   #18
Pentaxian

It would be surprising if pentax would not upgrade their video even a bit, just because technical things evolve... But that would be my highest expectation from them actually. As you said. You never know with Pentax. I’m waiting what is coming from pentax. But then again, I like my camera with mirror. If you’d like mirrorless for the things that you mentioned earlier. Can’t really see that happening in pentax land. Happy to be proven wrong.
09-18-2019, 09:26 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
If you’d like mirrorless for the things that you mentioned earlier. Can’t really see that happening in pentax land
Mirrorless or not does not really matter to me.
the Z6 just happens to be a nice combo for FF manual lenses and video.
i see some advantages in mirrorless like smaller size and maybe peaking in the evf. but for sure there will be disadvantages as well. I saw there is a thread on that.
quite interesting..

As you said. You never know with Pentax.
realize that going from K5-K01 series to K3, they did work on the video package, despite saying they don't care. like you say; technology evolves..

09-18-2019, 01:49 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote
the Z6 just happens to be a nice combo for FF manual lenses and video.
i see some advantages in mirrorless like smaller size and maybe peaking in the evf. but for sure there will be disadvantages as well. I saw there is a thread on that.
quite interesting..

realize that going from K5-K01 series to K3, they did work on the video package, despite saying they don't care. like you say; technology evolves..
I thought about it and actually if I was for some or any reason going to choose now what to buy. You know, from clean table, based purely on what I want...it would be pretty hard.

Hard facts on the table.

you need video? Well, mirrorless is better. and there are especially now A LOT to choose from. Then again, how serious will it be. There is now for example camers which has actually a fan to cool sensor down. And it is there for a good reason. But are you going to take photos too. Then you need to think again.

What kind a photos, action? Normal daily? pro?

gosh. Lot of brands promises that and this.

That said. Lot of it depends on your budget too. Z6 seems like a good option. For video I'd propably go there or suck it up and ... Panasonic S1H, but that thing is huge and heavy. looked at S1R at one shop and oh boy...for some reason Sony gives me ill symptons. I have Sony TV and that is enough.

I'm really interested of photo quality too, but also interface. It need to be simple. Why I like Pentax is just because of that, so natural.
09-18-2019, 03:35 PM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I would go the D850 rather than a Z6 if I was buying Nikon, Grispie … just a better camera.
09-19-2019, 05:49 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I would go the D850 rather than a Z6 if I was buying Nikon, Grispie … just a better camera.
I understand the pentax m lenses don't fit on the D8xx?
that is my main reason to go z6, to use my m lenses on a full frame cam both for photo and for video, (the latter being the reason i would choose another brand over pentax since it is manual focus anyhow with my m lenses.. )
with the other option of a combo of apsc mirrorless for video and a 2ndhand K1..

But aside from that, i am interested on why you'd prefer a d850 as a camera? shortcomings on z6 vs a proven FF dslr?

That said. Lot of it depends on your budget too. Z6 seems like a good option. For video I'd propably go there or suck it up and ... Panasonic S1H, but that thing is huge and heavy. looked at S1R at one shop and oh boy...for some reason Sony gives me ill symptons.
yes, its expensive.
unfortunately there is no former z6 series that i can buy 2nd hand. panasonic is too large and beats the purpose a bit for me and i (no idea why) have a bias towards the sony A7series (and canon products-. I don't think there are any other FF options.
well, Leica S1 also i guess -
I know i do like nikon interface and ergonomics.

09-19-2019, 09:53 PM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I understand the pentax m lenses don't fit on the D8xx?
Correct.

But aside from that, i am interested on why you'd prefer a d850 as a camera? shortcomings on z6 vs a proven FF dslr?
Sure, it lacks an OVF, so you get a stream of JPGs instead with lag delivered to the EVF. It lacks a mirror, so it has to 'steal' pixels from the main sensor to use for autofocus. Single card only, so if your card with RAWs gets corrupted, there isn't one your JPGs were saved on to retrieve, and the card is not SD - it's the expensive XQCD. And there are autofocus issues that aren't present in the mature D850 …. Missing Features on the Z6 and Z7 - Which Ones Matter?

Canon think mirrorless are still 3-5 years away from matching features you find today on DSLRs.

You may be happy with that, you might not.

Last edited by clackers; 09-20-2019 at 12:01 PM.
09-22-2019, 04:59 AM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Sure, it lacks an OVF, so you get a stream of JPGs instead with lag delivered to the EVF. It lacks a mirror, so it has to 'steal' pixels from the main sensor to use for autofocus. Single card only, so if your card with RAWs gets corrupted, there isn't one your JPGs were saved on to retrieve, and the card is not SD - it's the expensive XQCD. And there are autofocus issues that aren't present in the mature D850 …. Missing Features on the Z6 and Z7 - Which Ones Matter?

Canon think mirrorless are still 3-5 years away from matching features you find today on DSLRs.

You may be happy with that, you might not.
I understand. Guess it's indeed always a personal decision what matters and what not.
I can imagine these are issues for certain users.
One strength vs d850 is that it does take my pentax m lenses ;-)

As you said. You never know with Pentax. I’m waiting what is coming from pentax.
well, in light of recent developments, i'll wait a bit before spending money :-)
09-22-2019, 05:12 AM   #25
Pentaxian

I understand. Guess it's indeed always a personal decision what matters and what not.
I can imagine these are issues for certain users.
One strength vs d850 is that it does take my pentax m lenses ;-)

well, in light of recent developments, i'll wait a bit before spending money :-)
There can be a lot of things in next 6 montgs
10-09-2019, 07:20 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
still on the fence here.

I went to check the z6 out again.
together with the sony a7III and also took a look at the fuji xh1.

All offering ibis, proper video and taking my M lenses, light for travel, with the exception of the fuji xh1 not being FF.
I was surprised by the sony (of which i initially rejected the idea..not sure why the bias). Felt it was a svelte package. Moreover sony has a 24-105 f4 in store which is kind of attractive as a one AF lens solution. Albeit a bit frontheavy and expensive.

The z6 seemingly offering a larger, clearer evf and a switch from photo to video retaining settings for each. small details can make the difference in use.

I really don't see an updated FF from pentax around the corner that is more video-oriented and certainly not this compact. not in near future.

the thing that holds me back, is that it's quite a large investment in another system as my main.
The fact that i can pay it does not really matter that much in that equation.
choice can be a blessing and a curse :-)

just saying...
10-09-2019, 07:55 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Well you can't really go wrong with any. If FF is a big must, then it is Sony or Nikon. It sure is big money.

I did shoot a gig with my K-1 and video with Oly OMD5MII. I was surprised how good Oly is with video. In general m4/3 is really nice or that.

I'm holding off with my purchases(thinking of upgrading video with better Oly and image quality with 645Z), because I don't know what these new things from Ricoh is going to be. If I was looking for upgrading my gear to MILC, it would be between SOny or nikon too, I suppose. or...in next 1-2 yrs it could be something amazing too. Good thing is that I'm not in hurry
10-09-2019, 01:11 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
If FF is a big must, then it is Sony or Nikon. It sure is big money.
no, ff is not a must. But, it would be so nice to finally put my jewels of m lenses on a FF body..

Good thing is that I'm not in hurry
not in a hurry either. but life is short :-)
My goal is to have an empty bankaccount by when i leave!!!
10-09-2019, 09:13 PM   #29
Pentaxian

no, ff is not a must. But, it would be so nice to finally put my jewels of m lenses on a FF body..

not in a hurry either. but life is short :-)
My goal is to have an empty bankaccount by when i leave!!!
it sure is short. Emptying my account has not been a problem thou...you must have bigger than mine..
10-25-2019, 07:49 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
maybe i should change the title to experience with a fuji xh1 and pentax mf lenses.
Seems like a nice cam for use with them and for video with the ibis. Only not FF as the z6. But also reflected in its current price.