Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-25-2019, 10:53 AM   #31
Pentaxian

I have a few Fujis, including an X-H1, and got a Z6 to compare (I'm one of those people who have to really use a camera for a while if there aren't any obvious "oh, that's not going to work for me" issues noticeable on first handle).

I have been using adapted rangefinder glass on both. A few notes for you:

Handling - for me and my hands, even though the X-H1 and Z6 are close in size, the Z6 has better ergos.

EVF - both are good (for being EVF, I still prefer a good OVF), but the Z6 seems a bit better at my eye.

Manual focus implementation - both work, and both can get excellent results out of good glass with a good adapter. Both have options for focus peaking and magnification. X-H1 has two spots where you can specify a focal length instead of picking a pre-existing lens setting, Z6 does not. For example, I can set 90mm into my Fuji, but have to select 86mm on the Z6. On the X-H1, focus magnification changes back to normal view at half-press on the shutter, my Z6 does not.

General impression - I prefer using adapted manual focus glass on my X-H1 over the Z6, but I prefer the Z6 "feel in the hand".

10-25-2019, 11:10 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentikonian Quote
I have a few Fujis, including an X-H1, and got a Z6 to compare (I'm one of those people who have to really use a camera for a while if there aren't any obvious "oh, that's not going to work for me" issues noticeable on first handle).
cool, i have handled a z6 a couple of times but only the xt3. z6 felt nice indeed. For me it would be the better camera i guess as it seems nice to use those old lenses at their intended focal. but it is also twice the price of a xh1 right now.. although buying them with one good lens (kitlens for z6 & new 16-80 for fuji) will bring them closer.
I have the feeling though if i'd want to sell the z6 later on, it might be easier to do so.

not sure if you filmed with them:
did i understand from the net correctly that the xh1 does not have zebra's?
how do you feel about the ibis on both cameras? Is there one that sticks out..
10-25-2019, 11:46 AM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote
cool, i have handled a z6 a couple of times but only the xt3. z6 felt nice indeed. For me it would be the better camera i guess as it seems nice to use those old lenses at their intended focal. but it is also twice the price of a xh1 right now.. although buying them with one good lens (kitlens for z6 & new 16-80 for fuji) will bring them closer.
I have the feeling though if i'd want to sell the z6 later on, it might be easier to do so.

not sure if you filmed with them:
did i understand from the net correctly that the xh1 does not have zebra's?
how do you feel about the ibis on both cameras? Is there one that sticks out..
I'm not a video person, so I'm not sure about the zebra pattern on either camera.

IBIS works. Have much more experience using it on the X-H1 than the Z6, but it does work on both cameras. The X-H1 IBIS and OIS on something like the 100-400 is extremely useful. The shot below was taken with the X-H1, 100-400, handheld at 400mm, 1/70s, heavy crop. And I'm a bit wobbly these days. I'd imagine the Z6 with a long VR Nikkor would produce similar results for me.
10-26-2019, 03:19 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentikonian Quote
handheld at 400mm, 1/70s
nice result indeed at this focal/shutter combi.

What about battery life?
Your photo experience with the batteries will translate to the video experience..
Things i heard & read about the xh1 are not so favorable (?)
tnx

10-26-2019, 09:32 AM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote
nice result indeed at this focal/shutter combi.

What about battery life?
Your photo experience with the batteries will translate to the video experience..
Things i heard & read about the xh1 are not so favorable (?)
tnx

I haven't used it long enough in one setting to be able to give you any average shot numbers, but the battery lasts significantly less time than the D-LI90 on my K-1. Same with the Z6. I don't have any hard numbers but it seems to run out of juice quicker than the X-H1 by a small bit.
10-26-2019, 09:44 AM   #36
Pentaxian

Also, with regard to battery life, under "Power Management" I've set the camera time OFF to 5 minutes and run in BOOST mode. It eats power faster, but the camera is more functional IMHO.
10-28-2019, 01:36 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks!

good information.
basically the two are no battery miracles ;-)

10-28-2019, 09:21 AM   #38
Pentaxian

You're welcome.

Mirrorless in general are power-hungry compared to DSLRs.

I think Sony has improved a bit and does a little better than others, but I have no user experience with any of their current cameras.