Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
09-09-2019, 07:49 PM   #1

Advice on some old Nikon gear I inherited

I've just inherited some old Nikon gear from a friend at my Apknite company such as:

-D70 Body

-AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm 3.5-5.6 G (ED) (VR)

-AF-S Nikkor 18-70mm 3.5-4.5 G (DX) (ED)

-AF-S Nikkor 18-200mm

I know all that gear is pretty obsolete/outdated. But I’m wondering if I sold the D70 body and bought a newer used body like the D3400 with 24 Megapixels, would these lenses do alright with a newer body like that? I’d like to be able to shoot some nice looking video. Obviously not expecting top tier stuff, but I’m thinking those lenses on a D3400 could be better than my iPhone and GoPro? Thanks for any and all input!

09-09-2019, 08:01 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Outdated doesn't mean it won't work for your needs. CCD sensors have a nice way of rendering, and a quick scan of eBay suggests the body won't get you much (like really not much at all) on the second hand market.

I would suggest you just spend some time getting to know the D70. If you find the 6 MP images to be limiting, but you really like the lenses, then consider saving up for a newer Nikon body.

Otherwise, sell the lot and stick with your Pentax gear
09-09-2019, 08:53 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sunlovers Quote
I've just inherited some old Nikon gear from a friend at my Apknite company such as:

-D70 Body

-AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm 3.5-5.6 G (ED) (VR)

-AF-S Nikkor 18-70mm 3.5-4.5 G (DX) (ED)

-AF-S Nikkor 18-200mm

I know all that gear is pretty obsolete/outdated. But I’m wondering if I sold the D70 body and bought a newer used body like the D3400 with 24 Megapixels, would these lenses do alright with a newer body like that? I’d like to be able to shoot some nice looking video. Obviously not expecting top tier stuff, but I’m thinking those lenses on a D3400 could be better than my iPhone and GoPro? Thanks for any and all input!

The 3x00 and 5x00 series Nikons are not bad. And the af-s lenses will work with them. The 24-120 has image stabilization and a descent reputation.

However as Sandy says, the D70 might be fun in its own right due to the ccd sensor.
09-09-2019, 10:37 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My first digital camera was the Pentax K100D which was the equivalent of the D70. I've had it since 2006 and it's still a very good camera which captures very nice images. From time to time I still shoot with it. I've kept it because of the CCD sensor, which tends to be a bit more saturated, with nice large pixels - it just does a really nice job. The images have a very nice "character" to them.

Over the years, I have upgraded - but I have found that the new equipment is great, fun to use and does a really nice job - but the old equipment can be just as capable, depending on what you use it for. It does have limitations for some uses like astrolandscapes, etc.

A number of years ago, right after I upgraded to the K5 (16MP), I decided one Saturday afternoon to take a run up to the Grand Canyon - just a little 5 hour drive to shoot the sunset. Tossed everything in the truck and took off. I got up there and was shooting, then all of a sudden my new k5 drained my two batteries (it turned out that the mirror motor had a short), so I went back to the truck and picked up my "old" K100D, and kept shooting. After getting home and comparing shots the next day, the K5 had nice detail, excellent image quality, colors - everything was excellent. But, the K100D also had really nice colors, saturation, nice detail - the K100 kept up really well.

I learned a valuable lesson that day - that old equipment when used right can be just as capable. There are limitations - you can't print as large, with CCD you are not going to have exceptionally high ISO values to use - but for a lot of your shooting you can still do really well.

09-10-2019, 06:40 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Check out Ken Rockwell's web site he's nikon-centric w lots of useful info on legacy compatibility
09-10-2019, 07:21 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
Check out Ken Rockwell's web site he's nikon-centric w lots of useful info on legacy compatibility
And don't forget to make a donation to support his growing family.
09-12-2019, 04:45 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
And don't forget to make a donation to support his growing family.
Lol...

10-04-2019, 11:57 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The D70 isn't popular, a lot of them developed a fault which stopped them from reading memory cards. Nearly every Nikon since has had higher resolution and been more reliable. But the lenses are a good assortment and as they are AF-s will work with most modern Nikon bodies including some of the cheaper ones. Ken Rockwell's site is excellent on this so check there before buying.

Nikon Lens Compatibility

If you don't need much higher resolution D50s are usually pretty cheap, have the same resolution, and don't usually give card errors, while something like a D90 will give you higher resolution and a lot more of the capabilities of a modern DSLR without breaking the bank.