Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2019, 09:20 AM   #76
Pentaxian

That new E-M5 III looks like a pretty nice camera. It's like a much more compact E-M1 II. The one thing that some users are complaining about is the price. I guess you can't please them all. Hahaha!

10-17-2019, 09:39 AM   #77
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
A new, not yet announced Olympus camera was registered on 8 October 2019 by certification authorities. Internal name is IM019.

Twitter

Since its Wi-Fi uses both the 2.4GHz and the 5GHz bands, it's a high-end camera, so possibly the OM-D E-M1 III.
Sounds reasonable

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
That new E-M5 III looks like a pretty nice camera. It's like a much more compact E-M1 II. The one thing that some users are complaining about is the price. I guess you can't please them all. Hahaha!
I suppose that don’t change, no matter what brand and price
10-17-2019, 09:42 AM   #78
Veteran Member

No matter what you can say otherwise about Olympus, they do create some beautiful designs for cameras. $1199 seems reasonable to me, the K-3 successor is going to be at that price or higher. I do feel that Olympus and other m43 manufacturers have been caught off guard by the sudden drop in price of full frame as the market matures. A lot of people are comparing it to the XT-30 or G95 which make sense but if i was in that price range I would be comparing it to an A7 Mk 11 at $999 body only. Would you rather have the faster speed and buffer of a EM5m3 or the noise performance and dynamic range of full frame in an older body?
10-17-2019, 09:55 AM   #79
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by y0chang Quote
No matter what you can say otherwise about Olympus, they do create some beautiful designs for cameras. $1199 seems reasonable to me, the K-3 successor is going to be at that price or higher. I do feel that Olympus and other m43 manufacturers have been caught off guard by the sudden drop in price of full frame as the market matures. A lot of people are comparing it to the XT-30 or G95 which make sense but if i was in that price range I would be comparing it to an A7 Mk 11 at $999 body only. Would you rather have the faster speed and buffer of a EM5m3 or the noise performance and dynamic range of full frame in an older body?
What is great about these new m4/3 and also other new cameras that they will be head and shoulder above those old cameras, technically. AF, speed, also DR is getting better. Besides, A7 will not be as small as this oly. With lens on, and I mean AF modern lens made for these cameras(that is when they work at their best). Ofcourse some will be happy with cheaper/bigger thing.

I’d say that there is place for these small cameras

10-17-2019, 11:08 AM   #80
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
I suppose that don’t change, no matter what brand and price
Indeed.

I also think it's fairly priced as well, given what's crammed inside.

Call me quirky or whatever, but I do like that there is a dedicated ISO button on this camera. The E-M1X also has a dedicataed ISO button. Having a fully customizable camera like the E-M1 & E-M1II is both great & annoying at the same time. Like when I borrow my dad's original E-M1, I forget where the ISO button is at, since he has it configured. Same with the E-M1 II. Hahaha!
10-17-2019, 05:51 PM   #81
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Both are worth watching.

10-17-2019, 10:49 PM   #82
Pentaxian

These videos do show how things are with m4/3, and how it has become also better. Negatives are there and are the same, but positives are there too. The ’sand’ test was little wild not even great effort, but then again if it is a loan gear one might not want to do it either..?

Quite capable little things. Have to say that I’m impressed of how much things has evolved from when I bought my O-EM5 mk2. I’ll pass on this one and perhaps sell my old oly too.

10-18-2019, 06:44 AM   #83
Veteran Member

The sand test reminded me of this one which is part of the reason why I picked Pentax.

10-18-2019, 08:34 AM   #84
Pentaxian

i also remember Heie's picture of his camera on top of an armoured vehicle, close to the .50 machine gun, surrounded and partially covered by cases...
10-18-2019, 10:33 AM - 1 Like   #85
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
These videos do show how things are with m4/3, and how it has become also better. Negatives are there and are the same, but positives are there too. The ’sand’ test was little wild not even great effort, but then again if it is a loan gear one might not want to do it either..?

Quite capable little things. Have to say that I’m impressed of how much things has evolved from when I bought my O-EM5 mk2. I’ll pass on this one and perhaps sell my old oly too.
I'm pretty sure that this won't happen, but lets say the upcoming APS-C flagship turns out to be a dud. I'd definitely move on to the m43 world. Why? The lens ecosystem, the stabilization, the AF performance, & my dad has all the Olympus PRO lenses. Hahaha! I'd have no issues with a slightly smaller m43 sensor. The only problem is me picking the camera body. More than likely it would be a Panasonic G9, but the E-M1 Mark II is very nice too. Heck, even this E-M5 Mark III is quite nice as well.
10-18-2019, 10:54 AM   #86
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm pretty sure that this won't happen, but lets say the upcoming APS-C flagship turns out to be a dud. I'd definitely move on to the m43 world. Why? The lens ecosystem, the stabilization, the AF performance, & my dad has all the Olympus PRO lenses. Hahaha! I'd have no issues with a slightly smaller m43 sensor. The only problem is me picking the camera body. More than likely it would be a Panasonic G9, but the E-M1 Mark II is very nice too. Heck, even this E-M5 Mark III is quite nice as well.
Heck, if I were you I'd make the switch now!
10-18-2019, 01:20 PM   #87
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'd definitely move on to the m43 world. Why? The lens ecosystem, the stabilization, the AF performance, & my dad has all the Olympus PRO lenses. Hahaha! I'd have no issues with a slightly smaller m43 sensor. The only problem is me picking the camera body.
Why don't you try with the em5 mk1,it can be had for around U$ 150,its like a Pentax.Sealed,stabilised and old video.16mp.good jpegs with plenty of art filters.Olympus is the M/L system that is the closest aligned to Pentax.
10-18-2019, 02:17 PM   #88
Veteran Member

Would you rather have the faster speed and buffer of a EM5m3 or the noise performance and dynamic range of full frame in an older body?
Given that choice, definitely give me the EM-5iii! I don't want a large, heavy and slow camera (with large and heavy FF glass). I did not buy a K-1 and am waiting (somewhat impatiently) for the next Pentax APS-C flagship to upgrade my aging K-3...

I'm pretty sure that this won't happen, but lets say the upcoming APS-C flagship turns out to be a dud. I'd definitely move on to the m43 world. Why? The lens ecosystem, the stabilization, the AF performance, ... I'd have no issues with a slightly smaller m43 sensor. The only problem is me picking the camera body. More than likely it would be a Panasonic G9, but the E-M1 Mark II is very nice too. Heck, even this E-M5 Mark III is quite nice as well.
This is pretty much exactly what I am thinking: possible switch to m4/3, with G9, E-M1ii or E-M5iii as possible bodies, depending on what the K-New turns out to be. I may even pick up a G85 with kit lens to familiarize myself with the system and in order to get that small/sealed 12-60mm kit lens which I would keep for travel photography with the higher end body. I am still leery of Olympus menus though - a long time ago I played with an E-M5 mk1 and they were awful... Some people say Panasonic menus are somewhat similar to Pentax.

Sometimes I even wonder if I should bother waiting for the next top-end Pentax APS-C. I wish some actual specs would leak!
10-18-2019, 07:35 PM   #89
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Heck, if I were you I'd make the switch now!
Sometimes I do wonder if I should. Hahaha! I really like my Pentax gear & the only thing I'm hoping for is much improved AF in this upcoming camera.

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Why don't you try with the em5 mk1,it can be had for around U$ 150,its like a Pentax.Sealed,stabilised and old video.16mp.good jpegs with plenty of art filters.Olympus is the M/L system that is the closest aligned to Pentax.
I would just cut to the chase & go directly to the G9 or E-M1 II.

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
This is pretty much exactly what I am thinking: possible switch to m4/3, with G9, E-M1ii or E-M5iii as possible bodies, depending on what the K-New turns out to be. I may even pick up a G85 with kit lens to familiarize myself with the system and in order to get that small/sealed 12-60mm kit lens which I would keep for travel photography with the higher end body. I am still leery of Olympus menus though - a long time ago I played with an E-M5 mk1 and they were awful... Some people say Panasonic menus are somewhat similar to Pentax.

Sometimes I even wonder if I should bother waiting for the next top-end Pentax APS-C. I wish some actual specs would leak!
Yes. The Olympus menus are almost as awful as the Sony ones. Pentax has the best menus hands down.

Patience my good man. We will find out in due time how much effort Ricoh has put into this camera. I'm hoping for a major AF overhaul.
10-18-2019, 07:44 PM   #90
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Olympus seems to have outlived reports of its death more often than even Pentax.