Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2019, 01:34 PM   #1
Veteran Member

The future of Olympus

It seems to me that Olympus's E-M1 X was poorly received. And it seems they've been sluggish to update their camera line. I really have a feeling Olympus is not going to last much longer unless they make some amazing moves soon.

10-02-2019, 01:46 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Who knows. That's what they keep saying about Pentax. Hahaha!

My dad is all in with Olympus. He has the E-M1 with all the PRO lenses currently available. He's been going back & forth between getting the E-M1 II or the E-M1X. He'll probably end up getting the E-M1 II 'cause of the size & weight, but I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up getting the E-M1X instead.
10-02-2019, 01:47 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Many people said our K-01 was strange beast. E-M1 X is much more... Big, with integrated grip, pricey but with small sensor...
10-02-2019, 02:13 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Olympus is Dooomed™ ?

Reportedly the new E-M5 III will be announced in a couple weeks.

10-02-2019, 02:15 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think that Olympus actually has a great opportunity that the others don't. I think Olympus could start inserting their 4/3 sensors and create optics for phones. Heck they might even be able to find a way to get a way to put a mount on a phone
10-02-2019, 02:17 PM   #6
Veteran Member

This could the make or break deal in a tough market condition.
10-02-2019, 02:33 PM - 3 Likes   #7
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Haven’t you heard? Unless you’re Sony - you’re doooomed!! Even Canikon will succumb to Sony mirrorless overlords!!

10-02-2019, 02:36 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
Haven’t you heard? Unless you’re Sony - you’re doooomed!! Even Canikon will succumb to Sony mirrorless overlords!!
You need to stay away from that other Photographic forum, the one that rhymes with See Three Aaah......
10-02-2019, 02:39 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by shaolen Quote
I think that Olympus actually has a great opportunity that the others don't. I think Olympus could start inserting their 4/3 sensors and create optics for phones. Heck they might even be able to find a way to get a way to put a mount on a phone
The m4/3 registration distance is double the thickness of most phones.

Oly and DxO have both attempted external modules for smartphones and both have failed in the marketplace.
10-02-2019, 03:35 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by shaolen Quote
There are rumours of a partnership between Sony and Olympus that would include rugged smartphones.
10-02-2019, 03:42 PM   #11
Veteran Member

It's a shame Oly went solely mirrorless, their DSLR's were quite good with some great glass.
Saying that, I'm happy I sold nearly all of my 4/3 gear years ago and went with Pentax.
I see a lot of people with the newer Oly's here when I'm out, small, light, good results
10-02-2019, 04:02 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

I wouldn't put a nail in Olympus just yet. They do pretty well in Japan and some countries. I think they made some errors in the OMD-EM1X, but we will see. The camera has a lot of processing power and Olympus might have so plan firmware upgrades for it that improve its value. I has an E-3 for a couple of years and I loved the camera. Let's see what the next generation of sensors has to offer. Olympus is still using some pretty old sensor tech. If Sony can sell them a m/43 version of the new sensor coming in the A9II they could have something pretty cool.

10-03-2019, 05:47 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

The problem with Olympus imaging is their (disastrous) financial performance, not the quality of their cameras and lenses, which is top-notch.
10-03-2019, 06:24 AM   #14
Pentaxian

I'm obviously not browsing all the Internet (preferring to concentrate my activity on some areas of interest) - but my impression is that Olympus' situation is seldom mentioned, despite being quite serious. Nobody talked about Samsung, either. The one brand that's perpetually doomed is Pentax, yet they keep surviving...

Indeed it's the financial performance; if they can't turn around they're doomed (for real ;-) ). The rumor goes, shareholder started paying attention.
But they might still turn around. With the MILC sales going down, we'll see... I'm not fond of them (hey, Oly, 3/4 of the "dinosaur mounts" you were laughing at survived...) but I don't particularly want them gone either.
10-03-2019, 06:51 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think Pentax survives because of their very loyal base and their nieche market. I think when Nikon canon die off Pentax will still be around selling small volumes to those who still want old school DSLRS. I think Olympus will get phased out but if they can get into making sensors and optics for cell phone camera units (or make a new mount specifically for phones) they can reinvent themselves and come out on top. I think they're better suited for this than say Nikon/canon are