Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
02-03-2021, 02:53 PM   #106

When I shifted to autofocus 35mm I went to Nikon and have stuck with Nikon for digital. Otherwise inherited a Contax iia. Still like my manual Pentaxes though!

02-09-2021, 04:09 PM - 1 Like   #107
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by edri Quote
Until what ISO do you go the ones using the m43 system? I would like an easier, less bulky ML system for travel, hiking, cycling. But I use KP exclusively (rarely KS2), at this moment, KP we all know that it behaves excellent at high ISO values. Choosing an ML system, I wouldn't want to go back to the ISO limitations I had with K7. Perhaps, though, Ricoh's are thinking of announcing that they will start working on a new ML. For me it would be the preferred option.
I have an OMD EM10 ii and it compares well with the K-3 for high ISO performance. Certainly not going back to K-7 days with it (I owned the K-7 and K-5 as well at one point). It’s a very small/light setup with the right lenses. You can probably find one used for a good value as well and a couple inexpensive lenses. The 40-150 is actually pretty good for how inexpensive it is, it’s a 100 dollar lens new. It’s also feather light and small.

I’ve been using a Nikon Z5 and 24-200 for travel for the past few months and much prefer it though to the EM10ii, not that much bigger and fully weather sealed with a much nicer EVF and much better AF. But it’s quite a lot more expensive.
02-09-2021, 06:06 PM - 1 Like   #108
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I've never had anything but Pentax until recently, when I acquired a Sony A7C as a complement to my Pentax kit.
02-09-2021, 06:18 PM   #109
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I owned a Mamiya 645 for while. I used it for a couple years then sold it.

Last edited by normhead; 02-10-2021 at 06:52 AM.
02-09-2021, 11:10 PM   #110
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Added three more...

Ricoh XR-1
Ricoh XR-2
Praktica Super TL3

Steve
02-10-2021, 07:12 AM   #111
Veteran Member

For ILC’s I started with Pentax and now mainly use Nikon. Some people like to collect cars, motorcycles, firearms etc. I guess I’m like that with cameras. I Still have the K-3, OMD and the 2 Nikons (plus the film SLR I learned on as a kid)

Pentax K7
Pentax K5
Canon 7D
Pentax K3
Nikon D750
Olympus OMD EM10 II
Nikon Z5
02-10-2021, 02:44 PM - 1 Like   #112
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by edri Quote
Until what ISO do you go the ones using the m43 system?
This is at least partly subjective. I know photographers, including professionals, who are fine with ISO 3200 on m43. I'm on the other side of the spectrum. About 99% of my m43 shots are at ISO 200, the base ISO of the E-M5 cameras I've used. I'm now experimenting with m43 as a wildlife system, so I'll have to start using higher ISOs; but I'll try my best to keep the ISOs under 1,000. I simply care for what I see with Olympus and higher ISO. It's not just the noise, the images have less saturation and less "depth," if that makes any sense. I sometimes suspect that Olympus has the worst in camera processing for raw files in the business. I've actually been impressed with some of the images I've seen taken with Panasonic m43 cameras, and if I ever buy another m43 camera, it will probably be a Panasonic. (Olympus is said to have better AF and perhaps slightly better stabilization.)

02-10-2021, 04:21 PM   #113
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
This is at least partly subjective. I know photographers, including professionals, who are fine with ISO 3200 on m43. I'm on the other side of the spectrum. About 99% of my m43 shots are at ISO 200, the base ISO of the E-M5 cameras I've used. I'm now experimenting with m43 as a wildlife system, so I'll have to start using higher ISOs; but I'll try my best to keep the ISOs under 1,000. I simply care for what I see with Olympus and higher ISO. It's not just the noise, the images have less saturation and less "depth," if that makes any sense. I sometimes suspect that Olympus has the worst in camera processing for raw files in the business. I've actually been impressed with some of the images I've seen taken with Panasonic m43 cameras, and if I ever buy another m43 camera, it will probably be a Panasonic. (Olympus is said to have better AF and perhaps slightly better stabilization.)
The EM5 and EM10’s I think share the same sensor. I find the RAW files definitely have less flexibility than the D750 or Z5. Probably a bit lower than the K3 too for RAW. I think the JPEG renders at high ISO on the OMD, better than the K-3 but it’s a older camera so I don’t know how well the JPEG engine is on the K-1. Nikon’s JPEG engine is the best of my cameras, especially in the Z5. You can use JPEG much of the time without having to edit by just tweaking the profile settings a bit in real time in the EVF, sort of preprocessing them. It also has the best high ISO processing for JPEG and I prefer it’s color profiles to all the others. My K-7 actual was my favorite for color SOOC in jpeg with the samsung(?) sensor. Although dynamic range was pretty brittle with the K-7 and high ISO needed a lot of post processing. I think the OMD dynamic range would be more in line with the K-7 but with high ISO close but a bit under the K-3. I’m fine using about 1600 on the OMD and 1600-3200 on the K-3.
02-24-2021, 07:25 PM   #114
Pentaxian

Add a Pentax 110 and a couple of lenses to my list. Admittedly I've bought it mainly to have a play with the lenses on my micro 4/3, but the camera is working and I'm slightly tempted to blow a few pounds and run a film through it.
03-04-2021, 07:41 PM   #115
Veteran Member

Pentax since the K-5 > K-5IIs > K-3 > K-1
Sony since the A7R & A6000
Had a Panasonic Lumix LX-5 before all that which got me started. But my first digital camera was the 4.1 megapixel HP R507... which had a Pentax lens.

Haven't bought a new camera body or a lens since 2016. In the process of getting rid of almost everything and may decide not to replace anything at all depending on where the World is actually going. If we can't go anywhere, what's the point?
04-25-2021, 05:55 AM   #116
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by y0chang Quote
I have owned:

Samsung - Great bodies, friendly UI...but Samsung left the camera business and left me with a dead system which prompted a search for another system

FUJI - I did not like the XE-2 I bought used as much as a thought I would. The lenses were really expensive for my use (as a second system, I didn't want to throw thousands of dollars into a system) and the lack of IS means I didn't use it hiking as much as I thought I would. My shaky hands means IS really helps getting sharper images. Loved Fuji colors but not enough that I decided to sell off the system (at a bit of a loss but not as much as I was expecting- good second hand value)

Panasonic M43 - GX85 My current second system, love the system as a second camera for travel and hiking system. Love the interface, love the 4k video that it shoots. Really affordable (I bought a body, 12-32mm and 45-150mm for 330 open box on Amazon). The white balance system seems to be a little weird in Lightroom (which I think is where the whole Panasonic has worse colors than Olympus comes from)

Every system has strengths and weaknesses not trying to bash one or the other.
Sony, both APS-C & FF, mirrorless & DSLR.
Olympus mft.
Nikon 1.
04-25-2021, 06:21 AM   #117
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Canon
Minolta
Olympus
Panasonic
Fujifilm
Pentax
04-25-2021, 07:56 AM   #118
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Miranda Sensorex
04-30-2021, 05:46 PM   #119
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

All wonderful cameras:
Nikon F, F2
Minolta X-700
Olympus OM-4
05-01-2021, 09:48 PM   #120
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I've never had anything but Pentax until recently, when I acquired a Sony A7C as a complement to my Pentax kit.

What is your opinion of the Sony , in comparison to Pentax DSL-R cameras/lenses. I see you have a Pentax K1 (full frame) .

It would be interesting to hear your assessment between your FF Pentax and your FF Sony.