Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2019, 11:26 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Nikon 1 love?

Anyone else think the Nikon 1 series was genius? I really liked their concepts and the potential. I will admit it didn't seem too well executed but by the very end the J5 was finally got detail and noise down and just needed a more pro set up

10-07-2019, 12:52 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I loved the idea of it, but never actually got around to using one. M43 is a fairly established market and I think the 1" sensor ILC market opportunity was very limited.
10-07-2019, 01:10 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Played a couple of times with them at Costco, but didn't convince me. Micro 43 looked better.
10-07-2019, 02:00 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by shaolen Quote
Anyone else think the Nikon 1 series was genius? I really liked their concepts and the potential. I will admit it didn't seem too well executed but by the very end the J5 was finally got detail and noise down and just needed a more pro set up
I thought it was a neat system, especially for street shooters and wildlife enthusiasts. I think the problem - similar to m4/3 - is that the gear was so small and yet expensive that for traditional (Western) sensibilities it was perceived as a poor value.

10-07-2019, 06:04 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have a J1 with the 10mm pancake, 10-30mm zoom and the underwater housing. I picked the camera & lenses up a couple years ago on ebay and BandH was doing a clear out of the housing. The price was right used and overall I'm happy with it. No way I would have paid the new price though. I'll keep my eyes on the newer models, when they drop enough I might pick up a spare.
10-07-2019, 09:36 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I thought it was a neat system, especially for street shooters and wildlife enthusiasts. I think the problem - similar to m4/3 - is that the gear was so small and yet expensive that for traditional (Western) sensibilities it was perceived as a poor value.
That's a good point. Especially when it first came out. I think now a days it's that mentality going away
10-08-2019, 05:50 AM - 1 Like   #7

NiKon FSI 1" (-J5) too close to 1/1.7" even to 1/2.3" BSI sensors

Anyone else think the Nikon 1 series was genius ? I really liked their concepts and the potential. I will admit it didn't seem too well executed but by the very end the J5 finally got detail and noise down and just needed a more pro set up
I think the idea of 1" ILC Cameras was good...
... but they should have got BSI sensors from start !
J5 got a BSI CMos sensor, but too late...

Taking a look at DPR-Tests tells us the same that DxO-Mark :
Samsung-NX-mini-TOP-Infra-Red-ILC
DPR Comparison is in the middle of the page

Let's see the Top Performances of a good CMos BSI 1" bare-sensor :
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/76-non-pentax-cameras-canon-nikon-etc/38...ilc-125-a.html

NiKon FSI 1" performances were too close to 1/1.7" & 1/2.3" BSI sensors...
... which are 4, yes four times smaller !

Attached Images

Last edited by geo444; 10-08-2019 at 06:23 AM.
10-08-2019, 06:12 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by geo444 Quote
I think the idea of 1" ILC Cameras was good...
... but they should have got BSI Sensors from start !
J5 got a BSI CMos sensor, but too late...

Taking a look at DPR-Tests tells us the same that DXO-Mark :
Samsung-NX-mini-TOP-Infra-Red-ILC
DPR Comparison is in the middle of the page

NiKon FSI 1" performances were too close to 1/1.7" & 1/2.3" BSI sensors...
... which are 4, yes four times smaller !
Very informative. Thanks!
10-08-2019, 06:38 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I considered the Nikon 1 cameras when I ended up getting the Pentax Q-7 {Christmas 2014}, but the Q-7 made more sense at the time, and neither brand ended being continued by their sponsoring company.
10-08-2019, 06:48 AM - 3 Likes   #10
Forum Member

Been kicking around buying one as lightweight rig for wildlife and snapshots. The J5 with the 20MP BSI produces great images and is dirt cheap. With the N1 300mm CX lens gives an effective 800mm focal length in small package and excellent IQ given the sensor size.

The N1 was a wicked concept, same as the Q, they just needed a little more time to mature. If Nikon released an N1 V4 with a J5 BSI-senor and viewfinder it would have been a homerun and I would have bought in.

Thomas Stirr does some fantastic work with the N1 and wrote a good article about it being discontinued.

One Year After Being Discontinued - Small Sensor Photography by Thomas Stirr

Last edited by Senko; 10-08-2019 at 06:54 AM.
10-08-2019, 12:38 PM   #11
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Senko Quote
If Nikon released an N1 V4 with a J5 BSI-senor and viewfinder it would have been a homerun and I would have bought in.
I agree with you that that would have been a fantastic camera (but I doubt that Nikon somehow would have made much money even if they released that, people like you and me seem to be a very small minority ).

I always thought that Nikon has done many things right that PENTAX didn't for Q series, i.e. offering cameras with EVF, tilt screen (which is extremely useful e.g. when you're pointing your telescope to the sky), compact zooms (their standard zoom was shorter than Q 02 zoom), and the native 70-300mm super telephoto zoom. I didn't like that IBIS is unavailable, and V3 sensor was not that impressive, but the latter was addressed by the introduction of J5.
10-08-2019, 09:05 PM   #12
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thomas Stirr does some fantastic work with the N1 and wrote a good article about it being discontinued.

I saw these fantastic pictures before and was totally impressed. I revisited the article today and was impressed again. The guy knows his cameras and lenses very well.
Thanks for the link.
10-10-2019, 09:32 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Been kicking around buying one as lightweight rig for wildlife and snapshots. The J5 with the 20MP BSI produces great images and is dirt cheap. With the N1 300mm CX lens gives an effective 800mm focal length in small package and excellent IQ given the sensor size.

The N1 was a wicked concept, same as the Q, they just needed a little more time to mature. If Nikon released an N1 V4 with a J5 BSI-senor and viewfinder it would have been a homerun and I would have bought in.

I agree. I was eagerly awaiting a V4 since the J5 seemed to finally get things right. Such a shame. Then I was looking forward to getting one of those 1 inch DL series fixed lens cameras but Nikon made the worstpve ever and cancelled them in favor of their key mission action cameras instead
10-13-2019, 11:12 AM   #14

How much would you pay for that 1" BSI one :

... by the very end the J5 finally got Detail and Noise Down...
QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
... I'll keep my eyes on the Newer Models...
QuoteOriginally posted by Cipher Quote
... it doesn't have IBIS and some of the native lenses don't have VR either...
... If Nikon released an N1 V4 with a J5 BSI-Senor and viewfinder it would have been a homerun and I would have bought in...
QuoteOriginally posted by kwb Quote
... I didn't like that IBIS was unavailable, and V3 FSI-Sensor was not that impressive...
... I was eagerly awaiting a V4 since the J5 seemed to finally get things right. Such a shame...
How much would you pay for this 1" BSI one :
- it's just slightly bigger than the original Q... or the Q7 for a cheaper plastic version... see attached Pic
- its 01 Standard Prime Lens is a SMC Pntax 15mm f/1.8 w/ a 49mm filter thread... see attached Pic

- its 02 Standard Zoom is a SMC Pentax 9-27mm f/3.5-4.5... the 06 is a 25-75mm f/2.8-4... etc...
- IBIS & K-adapter are present as the Q family... its LCD tilts, could support an Optional EVF...

it's NOT Crippled as was the Q Family :
- No more 30 sec. limitation for the Bulb Exposure...
- No more Automatic LENR, it's also Fully Applicable / Cancelable...
- No more Lack of a Wired Remote control socket, the IR Remote works 4 Bulb Mode...
- Multi Exposure Mode outputs either .JPG or .DNG files...

High Image Quality guaranteed, even in Very Low Light conditions :
Samsung NX mini, a Top Infra-Red ILC for $125
Maxi Astro (Ciel Profond) au NX mini...

Please guys, would you add your own suggestions...
Attached Images

Last edited by geo444; 10-13-2019 at 02:13 PM.
10-13-2019, 01:31 PM   #15
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by geo444 Quote
How much would you pay for this one :

it's just slightly bigger than the original Q... or the Q7 for a cheaper plastic version... see attached pic

its 01 Standard Prime Lens is a SMC Pentax 15mm f/1.8 w/ a 49mm filter thread... see attached pic

its 02 Standard Zoom is a SMC Pentax 9-27mm f/3.5-4.5... the 06 is a 25-75mm f/2.8-4... etc...

IBIS & K-Adapter are present as w/ the Q family... its LCD tilts, it could support an Optionnal EVF...

it's NOT Crippled as was the Q Family :
- No more 30 sec. limitation for the Bulb Exposure...
- No more Automatic LENR, it's also Fully Applicable / Cancelable...
- No more Lack of the Wired Remote control socket, the IR Remote works 4 Bulb Mode...
- Multi Exposure Mode outputs either .JPG or .DNG files...

High Image Quality guaranteed, even in Very Low Light conditions :
Samsung NX mini, a Top Infra-Red ILC for $125

Please guys, would you add your own suggestions...
USD 600 or so if the EVF is built in, not an add-on.

Also, for such a camera I want a Q lens adapter with full control (AF, aperture) if the mount is different from Q mount, which looks too small for 1"-type sensor.

Good point about long exposure noise reduction, it annoys me when I take many long exposure shots for making a composite.