Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
10-08-2019, 02:33 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Interested about the Canon RP

Hi there,

I came across the Canon RP in a shop and played with it for a while, I fell in love with it at the first sight, I love the size, handling and weight of it, but unfortunately the battery is done I can not try some real shots with it. AFAIK it is a FF mirrorless, I really hoped Pentax will make something like it even not a FF, and of course I want it weather sealed.

10-08-2019, 03:04 AM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Image quality looks to be very good from the reviews I've read. Just be sure to read up on it carefully and understand what you're not getting as well as what you are, especially where lenses are concerned (i.e. lenses that are the size, focal length, speed and price that suit you). There are no bad cameras these days, so if the RP floats your boat and the system will suit you overall, go for it.

It's highly unlikely that Pentax will offer a comparable mirrorless solution - and if it does, it won't be any time soon. The mirrorless market is already over-crowded with Sony, FujiFilm, Olympus, Nikon, Canon, Panasonic and Fujifilm.
10-08-2019, 03:17 AM - 1 Like   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
It's highly unlikely that Pentax will offer a comparable mirrorless solution - and if it does, it won't be any time soon. The mirrorless market is already over-crowded with Sony, FujiFilm, Olympus, Nikon, Canon, Panasonic and Fujifilm.
What; Fujifilm doubled up on us? All jokes aside, you are right that Pentax (Ricoh) will not release a mirrorless anytime soon as the head of Ricoh imaging has said he thinks the mirrorless is a fad and he thinks people will move back to D-SLRs in the future.

I never felt any lust for a Canon digital when I handled with them, just the older manual focus Canons like the A-1, F-1, EF and alike gets my juices flowing.
Canon EF camera - Wikipedia
10-08-2019, 04:24 AM - 1 Like   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MrKodak Quote
What; Fujifilm doubled up on us?
Not enough coffee yet. I am not 100% responsible for my posts until the necessary caffeine level has been reached

I never felt any lust for a Canon digital when I handled with them, just the older manual focus Canons like the A-1, F-1, EF and alike gets my juices flowing.
Canon EF camera - Wikipedia
I haven't tried the mirrorless R cameras yet. I've played with some Canon SLR and DSLRs, and they were OK. The low end stuff felt lower-end to me than Pentax equivalents of the same era, but reasonable for the price. The mid-to-higher end stuff I tried seemed good, though I'd still say the higher end Pentax gear felt more solid. The top level Canon gear felt great, as expected given the pricing. I've never been a fan of the control wheel on the back, though, nor the upright control wheel on the top panel. The ergonomics always felt a bit "off" to me. But I guess it's something you get used to, as with any other brand's quirks (and they all have them)...

10-08-2019, 01:24 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
FujiFilm,
and Fujifilm.
Fujifilm doubled up
Well, it could be tripled too.Seven ILC crop bodies and 3 super FF bodies and more to come!
10-08-2019, 01:44 PM   #6
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lotech Quote
I really hoped Pentax will make something like it even not a FF, and of course I want it weather sealed.
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Well, it could be tripled too.Seven ILC crop bodies and 3 super FF bodies and more to come!
Well, seven crop bodies and three cropped medium format... but still, that's a lot of mirrorless bodies. Add Sony, Nikon, Canon, Panasonic, Sigma and Leica, and this is precisely why Ricoh won't likely be offering a MILC any time soon...

It's interesting that Fuji hasn't chosen to release a full format mirrorless camera, choosing to stick with APS-C where it's very well-established, and medium format where there's little competition (at the price). That's a smart decision, IMHO. There are just too many full frame mirrorless players right now...
10-08-2019, 09:23 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
What; Fujifilm doubled up on us? All jokes aside, you are right that Pentax (Ricoh) will not release a mirrorless anytime soon as the head of Ricoh imaging has said he thinks the mirrorless is a fad and he thinks people will move back to D-SLRs in the future.
MrKodak, where do you get your information from? You can't print that as fact.

Sugahara told Dave Etchells of Image Resources that "we have been studying various formats and various systems, including mirrorless and also other types of systems. Any system, such as mirrorless or DSLR, has its own merits and benefits for users." They have no concrete plans, they're watching carefully.

He also said that "some users who changed their system from DSLR to mirrorless come back to the DSLR again … But it might be they use both systems, DSLR and mirrorless. Because each system has its own benefits."

Sugahara by the way is not the 'head of Ricoh Imaging' as you claim, he's head of marketing communication, a PR guy.

Source: https://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2019/05/14/ricoh-interview-sub-frame-m...ss-will-return

10-09-2019, 01:32 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lotech Quote
Hi there,

I came across the Canon RP in a shop and played with it for a while, I fell in love with it at the first sight, I love the size, handling and weight of it, but unfortunately the battery is done I can not try some real shots with it. AFAIK it is a FF mirrorless, I really hoped Pentax will make something like it even not a FF, and of course I want it weather sealed.
It's a great camera for travel and general shooting. The only reason I didn't buy it was the EVF which is not as good as the one from EOS R. Be aware of a few things:

- EVF: it has a lag if you shoot some action, it can give you headaches if you haven't used a mirrorless before
- ergonomics are good given the size, but if you put a lens heavier than 500g on it it will become unbalanced (front heavy)
- I took around 800 images with one battery and it still had some life in it, but this depends on shooting style so a second battery is needed
- look also for the available lenses for RF mount; if you plan to use the camera with adaptor it goes away the weight and size advantage
- the dynamic range is not at the Pentax level so you have to be more careful in some situations
- the eye af works good after the update; it worked good in face detect also
- it has basic weather sealing so in case you plan to use it as a Pentax camera, forget about it; that being said, a 50 cent plastic bag can make a big difference in having a working camera or a "dead" camera (this is valid even for pro gear and that's why even pro photographers use protection on their gear in tough situations)
10-09-2019, 01:46 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thank guys for the input, it doesn't sound like my cup of tea then
10-09-2019, 02:51 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
It's a great camera for travel and general shooting. The only reason I didn't buy it was the EVF which is not as good as the one from EOS R....
Thanks for that tasty titbit Dan. Having used the EOS R, and finding it's viewfinder truly terrible, I'm interested to see what you say about the viewfinder in the RP.
10-09-2019, 02:55 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't expect Pentax to release a mirrorless ILC any time soon. They have said multiple times that they don't think EVFs are where they need to be yet, but that they are watching the market carefully.

Since they tend to be pretty secretive overall, I don't expect to have any signals that they are moving in another direction until they would be ready to release something different.
10-09-2019, 03:13 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
MrKodak, where do you get your information from? You can't print that as fact.

Sugahara told Dave Etchells of Image Resources that "we have been studying various formats and various systems, including mirrorless and also other types of systems. Any system, such as mirrorless or DSLR, has its own merits and benefits for users." They have no concrete plans, they're watching carefully.

He also said that "some users who changed their system from DSLR to mirrorless come back to the DSLR again … But it might be they use both systems, DSLR and mirrorless. Because each system has its own benefits."

Sugahara by the way is not the 'head of Ricoh Imaging' as you claim, he's head of marketing communication, a PR guy.

Source: Medium-format DSLRs are coming, and mirrorless converts will return! Ricoh Q&A from CP+
Wow, you're nitpicking, aren't you? I took it from my memory, I was slightly off, but it makes for a boring discussion if you have to 100% veriify your sources and quote exactly.
Essentially this director of something from Ricoh says he thinks people are coming back to DSLR, ergo, he think it is temporary, which means it is a fad.
10-09-2019, 03:16 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Thanks for that tasty titbit Dan. Having used the EOS R, and finding it's viewfinder truly terrible, I'm interested to see what you say about the viewfinder in the RP.
In which way you find it terrible? If it was in the bad way, then the RP is about 20-25% worse. The EVF from EOS R is better than the one from Sony A7 III and very similar to the ones from A9 and A7R III with both A9 and A7R III having a slight advantage in terms of magnification.

That being said, I'm still not 100% comfortable with EVFs and to prevent headaches I switch from shooting trough EVF to shooting trough Live view from time to time to let my eyes rest a little. I'm very interested to see the EVF improvements on Sony A7R IV because EVFs get better and better each year.

Last edited by Dan Rentea; 10-09-2019 at 03:54 PM.
10-09-2019, 03:28 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
but it makes for a boring discussion if you have to 100% veriify your sources and quote exactly.
It protects you and us from exaggeration, MrKodak.

And misrepresenting the person you're claiming to quote. And others on the Internet believing you're telling the truth, and repeating what you said - this is a public forum.

That's sackable if you were a journalist.
10-09-2019, 03:31 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I don't expect Pentax to release a mirrorless ILC any time soon. They have said multiple times that they don't think EVFs are where they need to be yet, but that they are watching the market carefully.

Since they tend to be pretty secretive overall, I don't expect to have any signals that they are moving in another direction until they would be ready to release something different.
It would be interesting to see a poll regarding a Pentax mirrorless used with adaptor and the new full frame lenses. The EF lenses work like a charm on EOS R/RP and a lot of people use their EF lenses on Canon mirrorless cameras. Sure, if you read some topics on Canon forum, the ones who haven't use the Canon mirrorless cameras scream all over the forum that shooting with adaptor is a bad thing.

It will involve a huge risk for Ricoh to start a new system from zero, but I wonder if people would buy an entry level full frame mirrorless to use it with adaptors until Ricoh manage to see if it's going to be a good investment. This is just a thought because from a business perspective it's not a good plan.