Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
10-10-2019, 11:39 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sigma FP

I'm in no mind to switch platforms, but at first glance this looks rather cool....

10-10-2019, 11:47 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
wouldn't touch sigma with a forty foot barge pole
10-11-2019, 02:24 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

I looks cool, because of the small uncluttered box that it is (like the hasselblad X1D looks cool), but without the foveon sensor, this is just another 24 mp full frame mirrorless that - to my mind - doesn't have too much going for it. I really wonder why Sigma is doing this? Have they got money to burn? They're rather late to an already overcrowded party where sales are on the decline. That seems masochist.
10-11-2019, 06:04 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I'm gonna sit and wait for the FF Foveon. I don't understand why they chose to bring out a regular sensor first .?.?.?

10-11-2019, 06:12 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Small, semi-functional camera? I guess I've used a K-01 for a long time, but I already owned a bunch of K mount lenses...

Ergonomics don't look so great, lenses aren't really there (and are really expensive), no viewfinder (I think one is sold separately), and the flash sync speed is 1/30 second (I guess because it doesn't have a mechanical shutter and has to use the electronic shutter for everything).
10-11-2019, 04:48 PM   #6

What intrigues me about this model is its a small full frame camera. My exposure to film camera was the minox and minolta xa2 that my father gave to me. I wasn't yet into cameras back then. To me, they were just tools needed to take vacation and event pictures.Come 25 years later, here I am with a bunch of lenses but still prefer small form factor. It's the reason why I am with Pentax since they have one of the smallest, rugged, highly functional DSLR.

Its pricey though. If the reviews are OK and if I haven't been tempted by future barrage of low cost mirrorless cam bargains because of the on-going marketing war, then I will definitely consider it.
10-12-2019, 01:46 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Raw video when (probably) connected to an external SSD. Nuff said. This thing is insane... I expect it to find a nice audience, especially for video productions that can't afford an Arri Alexa. Weddings, advertising, TV productions. Content creators in general. Heck, it's probably so cheap (and certainly small enough) they may replace the Blackmagic cameras in big Hollywood productions.

"The SIGMA fp’s Cine mode comes with a variety of special functions that are comparable to those of professional cinema cameras. From shutter angle display and waveform display for exposure and color information, to zebra patterning, it comes with the functions and screen displays that can be used in the same way as with conventional cinema equipment.”
Jesus. Sigma also offers a PL mount adapter. They know exactly who this camera is for. It's the first time I truly understand why Sigma is even bothering creating cameras. Panasonic should be worried. Looking at the market, if given the choice between the Nikon Z6, Panasonic S1 or a Sony a7, my choice would probably be the Sigma (if there isn't any deal breaker). And that's despite not shooting that much video. But this thing has potential. The only problem (for me) is the lack of stabilization.

https://www.cinema5d.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/SIGMA-fp-_-featured2.jpg

That's a promo shot by Sigma, it seems.

I suppose this thing isn't meant for Pentax fans. This thing is about video. That's what you're paying for.

10-14-2019, 02:41 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Certainly wouldn't consider replacing my K-1 with it, but I like the look of it.

Although ergonomics look dubious at best, and it will be interesting to see what the compromises are (battery life for a start I think).
10-15-2019, 02:06 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
From what I read it's a very good video camera (it also has a purposefully designed LCD loupe as optional VF) that happens to double as a diminutive stills camera as a side bonus.
10-15-2019, 09:11 AM   #10
Pentaxian

This camera seems to be more geared towards people that shoot more video & take less stills.
10-15-2019, 12:33 PM   #11

Interesting, what colours and autofocus will be like? I just don't know anything about Sigma non-foveon colour science.

In comparence with other brands both camera and lenses cost not THAT much. Anyway, it's always nice to have a wider choice.
11-12-2019, 01:59 PM - 1 Like   #12

I’m pulling the trigger on this in a few weeks. The stores don’t have many of the accessories available yet, and the “final” firmware isn’t loaded. (No cinemagraphs, and who knows what needs “fixing.”)

They didn’t go with the Foveon sensor because it’s too slow in transmitting certain data in certain modes. (Don’t really understand it, but I think it had to do with logging data.)

And the way I figure it, Sigma is going to step up their game on lenses geared for fp users.
11-12-2019, 02:33 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The review images look good, reports on the construction quality are favorable, and of course Steve Huff is gaga over it, but for 50+ years I've always used cameras with a nice eye-level finder, and I'll never buy one without it. The "L-mount" does offer some nice lenses, and adapters are available for my old manual focus lenses, but if I were to go for an L-mount camera it would still be the Leica SL. It still holds up very well in comparison to the latest L-mount bodies, gets the best results with my old rangefinder lenses (due to the thin sensor cover glass and such), and the 24 MP images are more manageable. If the used price just drops a bit more...
11-12-2019, 02:50 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
The review images look good, reports on the construction quality are favorable, and of course Steve Huff is gaga over it, but for 50+ years I've always used cameras with a nice eye-level finder, and I'll never buy one without it. The "L-mount" does offer some nice lenses, and adapters are available for my old manual focus lenses, but if I were to go for an L-mount camera it would still be the Leica SL. It still holds up very well in comparison to the latest L-mount bodies, gets the best results with my old rangefinder lenses (due to the thin sensor cover glass and such), and the 24 MP images are more manageable. If the used price just drops a bit more...
But what about the cine aspects, which is what this camera is all about?
11-12-2019, 04:10 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira7 Quote
But what about the cine aspects, which is what this camera is all about?
The FP is also promoted as a still camera, which Steve Huff finds very useful for his way of shooting. I have no interest in cine.