Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-13-2019, 02:21 AM - 1 Like   #16

Photos: Albums
Just received mine today in the mail! Kinda reminds me of a Pentax camera in the way that it's quite compact yet dense and evidently well made. Don't have a single lens for it unfortunately, so the most I've done is boot it and setup the basic functions. Will get back to you when my L-m42 adaptor makes it here.

11-13-2019, 06:40 AM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by Joshua A Quote
Just received mine today in the mail! Kinda reminds me of a Pentax camera in the way that it's quite compact yet dense and evidently well made. Don't have a single lens for it unfortunately, so the most I've done is boot it and setup the basic functions. Will get back to you when my L-m42 adaptor makes it here.
Well, I’m buying it anyway, but for cine, they say the AF is really abysmal. It might be the firmware, or that it just uses a 49 points contrast system.

I’m ordering the viewfinder too.

Is your firmware up to date at 1.1?

---------- Post added 11-13-19 at 06:42 AM ----------

How long ago did you order the adapter? B&H says it’s a special order, 4 to 6 weeks.

Did you get the Kipon?
11-13-2019, 09:38 AM   #18
Veteran Member

This camera is very interesting. Pity there is no converter to K mount available....
11-13-2019, 01:02 PM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by fsge Quote
This camera is very interesting. Pity there is no converter to K mount available....
Kipon makes more than 660 converters.

Except that one.

11-13-2019, 03:06 PM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira7 Quote
Well, I’m buying it anyway, but for cine, they say the AF is really abysmal. It might be the firmware, or that it just uses a 49 points contrast system.

I’m ordering the viewfinder too.

Is your firmware up to date at 1.1?

---------- Post added 11-13-19 at 06:42 AM ----------

How long ago did you order the adapter? B&H says it’s a special order, 4 to 6 weeks.

Did you get the Kipon?
So thankfully I'm not really into the whole AF video look, honestly every example I've see so far from any manufacturer looks sloppy and low end, so what I've done is instead aquire a full set of SMC Takumars to use as makeshift cine lenses.

On the topic of adaptors, I didn't purchase the Kipon one because of its 'Special Order' status, but I did get the Novoflex one that shipped next day.
11-13-2019, 03:31 PM   #21

So thankfully I'm not really into the whole AF video look, honestly every example I've see so far from any manufacturer looks sloppy and low end, so what I've done is instead aquire a full set of SMC Takumars to use as makeshift cine lenses.

On the topic of adaptors, I didn't purchase the Kipon one because of its 'Special Order' status, but I did get the Novoflex one that shipped next day.
How much was the Novoflex? I have a ton of Takumars also (most not even SMC) plus old Helios, Vivitar and others. So that M42 is a must, and like you, that’s why I’m not that concerned about the continuous autofocus performance.

However, I do need something on the wide side, and I’ll probably be getting a modern Sigma L for that.

So you didn’t order the Sigma as a kit with its 45? That 45 is outstanding.
11-13-2019, 04:16 PM   #22

How much was the Novoflex? I have a ton of Takumars also (most not even SMC) plus old Helios, Vivitar and others. So that M42 is a must, and like you, that’s why I’m not that concerned about the continuous autofocus performance.

However, I do need something on the wide side, and I’ll probably be getting a modern Sigma L for that.

So you didn’t order the Sigma as a kit with its 45? That 45 is outstanding.
The Novoflex was around $60 USD if I remember correctly!

I did think about the Sigma 45mm f2.8, but when I found out it was $750 AUD I quickly forgot about it, considering I bought the Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art for Pentax for $799, which is two stops brighter. I figure in time I'll buy it, but not for a silly markup like that.

11-13-2019, 05:10 PM   #23

The Novoflex was around $60 USD if I remember correctly!

I did think about the Sigma 45mm f2.8, but when I found out it was $750 AUD I quickly forgot about it, considering I bought the Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art for Pentax for $799, which is two stops brighter. I figure in time I'll buy it, but not for a silly markup like that.
How much is $750 AUD in U.S.? Because in the states, it only adds $300 to get it in the kit.

I’ll check out the Novoflex. The Kipon is $105.
11-13-2019, 08:55 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
How much is $750 AUD in U.S.? Because in the states, it only adds $300 to get it in the kit.

I’ll check out the Novoflex. The Kipon is $105.
500 U$=750 Aussie scholars
11-13-2019, 09:35 PM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
500 U$=750 Aussie scholars
That’s crazy expensive for that lens.
11-13-2019, 11:58 PM   #26
Pentaxian

The kit can be had for similar price to U$....but can get the body alone for $us 1699,the EF to L adapter doesn't cost too much either,if ya got Canon mount Sigmas.
11-14-2019, 12:10 AM   #27

That’s crazy expensive for that lens.
Yeah not too impressed with the price considering.

---------- Post added 11-14-19 at 04:41 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
The kit can be had for similar price to U$....but can get the body alone for $us 1699,the EF to L adapter doesn't cost too much either,if ya got Canon mount Sigmas.
Yeah I pretty much found that you save about $50 if getting it in the kit, at least here in Aus, and honestly I don't really crave it unless I can acquire a small HDMI viewfinder. If you know of any I'd love to hear more.
11-14-2019, 12:21 AM   #28

Yeah not too impressed with the price considering.

---------- Post added 11-14-19 at 04:41 PM ----------

Yeah I pretty much found that you save about $50 if getting it in the kit, at least here in Aus, and honestly I don't really crave it unless I can acquire a small HDMI viewfinder. If you know of any I'd love to hear more.
This is my big trepidation with this. For serious cine, you need a monitor, or at least an articulating LCD.

Do they even MAKE HDMI monitors that work on the fp; does the fp firmware support that?

I’m going to be ordering the viewfinder for stills work, but then I would have to take it off for cine. And the fp’s fixed display is horrible for this.

If I could get a monitor, I would add that to my order, plus a gimbal (AirCross).

---------- Post added 11-14-19 at 12:26 AM ----------

I haven’t ordered yet because I’m waiting for a legal settlement check to arrive in a few weeks, but I have everything in my B&H basket.

I’m only up to $3,100 for the kit and accessories (includes 1 terabyte SSD, 3 batteries, charger, AC adaptor)...

So why not make it $4,100?

---------- Post added 11-14-19 at 12:31 AM ----------

One more thing:

If there is indeed a monitor, that means I can’t use my SSD at the same time, right?[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added 11-14-19 at 12:32 AM ----------

Last edited by pepperberry farm; 11-14-2019 at 01:06 AM.
11-14-2019, 01:32 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Checkout the Viltrox monitors,they work quite well.

The 5 buck ebay loupes are good enough to use too.Ive used them on Q and K-01 work great.
11-14-2019, 02:14 AM   #30

This is my big trepidation with this. For serious cine, you need a monitor, or at least an articulating LCD.

Do they even MAKE HDMI monitors that work on the fp; does the fp firmware support that?

I’m going to be ordering the viewfinder for stills work, but then I would have to take it off for cine. And the fp’s fixed display is horrible for this.

If I could get a monitor, I would add that to my order, plus a gimbal (AirCross).

---------- Post added 11-14-19 at 12:26 AM ----------

I haven’t ordered yet because I’m waiting for a legal settlement check to arrive in a few weeks, but I have everything in my B&H basket.

I’m only up to $3,100 for the kit and accessories (includes 1 terabyte SSD, 3 batteries, charger, AC adaptor)...

So why not make it $4,100?

---------- Post added 11-14-19 at 12:31 AM ----------

One more thing:

If there is indeed a monitor, that means I can’t use my SSD at the same time, right?[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added 11-14-19 at 12:32 AM ----------
Yeah, its a little bit of a shame that its a fixed LCD, however given the intent of the camera being so modular, I'd rather as durable a core (aka camera) as possible.

As for HDMI viewfinders, I expect someone will eventually come up with something, though I am concerned that maybe you can't use both HDMI and USB storage simultaneously.