Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
11-17-2019, 11:17 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Autonerd Quote
Good thought. Unfortunately, no dice -- shutter speed sounds the same in Auto mode, regardless of how it should be firing. I tried a variety of lighting situations, including hand over the lens and "cheating" the ASA as low as it would go.
That is the extent of my troubleshooting at this time as I understand that triggering shutter is electronically controlled with magnetic release and mechanical in B and M80. I wonder if this is related to your earlier trouble about shutter and winder? In any case it seems that this requires service now. Good luck!

11-18-2019, 08:50 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
That is the extent of my troubleshooting at this time as I understand that triggering shutter is electronically controlled with magnetic release and mechanical in B and M80. I wonder if this is related to your earlier trouble about shutter and winder? In any case it seems that this requires service now. Good luck!
Yep, sounds like it. I appreciate the willingness to help!
11-23-2019, 01:17 AM   #18

Your FE is well worth getting repaired if possible. It is a gem of a camera. I have two that I use on a rotational basis with my Pentax K1000 SE.

A trimmed down camera that lets you concentrate on the all-important composition.

Good luck.
12-29-2019, 01:43 PM - 2 Likes   #19

Original Poster
Hi all -- I know this is an ancient thread, but if anyone wants to know The Rest Of The Story... I dropped the FE off at Camera Max, and he figured out which dealiebob has to be changed. The fix along with CLA is <$100 and considering I paid $0 for the camera, I'm very happy. Can't wait to get 'er back and try 'er out.

Aaron

12-29-2019, 02:54 PM - 1 Like   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi all -- I know this is an ancient thread, but if anyone wants to know The Rest Of The Story... I dropped the FE off at Camera Max, and he figured out which dealiebob has to be changed. The fix along with CLA is <$100 and considering I paid $0 for the camera, I'm very happy. Can't wait to get 'er back and try 'er out.

Aaron
Yay! That is very cool, both getting it fixed and paying such a reasonable price to have it and the CLA done. Here in the Portland area, the CLA alone would be about $150.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-29-2019 at 05:26 PM.
12-29-2019, 04:52 PM - 1 Like   #21

Original Poster
Thanks Steve. He's also replacing the shutterbox and CLAing an MX that someone gave me. Estimate for that one is a bit over $100. I've always wanted an MX, but when I finally got one, I decided I'd rather have a *working* MX...
12-30-2019, 08:59 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Thanks Steve. He's also replacing the shutterbox and CLAing an MX that someone gave me. Estimate for that one is a bit over $100. I've always wanted an MX, but when I finally got one, I decided I'd rather have a *working* MX...
Those seem like very reasonable prices indeed! Thanks for that and I've bookmarked Camera Max for possible future use.

01-03-2020, 11:40 PM   #23

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
Those seem like very reasonable prices indeed! Thanks for that and I've bookmarked Camera Max for possible future use.
Everything I've read about him has been outstanding, and his shop looks like a camera museum. We'll see what happens when i get the cameras back.
01-10-2020, 04:07 PM - 1 Like   #24

Enjoy your FE, it along with the FM are among Nikon's best film cameras. They date from before Nikon started making consumer grade cameras. I still have an FM & an FE2 (which replaced a stolen FE) The FE & especially the FE2 were my favorite film cameras. Both the FM & FE were designed as system cameras with accessories such as data backs, motor winders & interchangeable screens. They remained my main cameras until I got my Pentax K-10.
01-12-2020, 07:23 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BryantCP Quote
Enjoy your FE, it along with the FM are among Nikon's best film cameras. They date from before Nikon started making consumer grade cameras. I still have an FM & an FE2 (which replaced a stolen FE) The FE & especially the FE2 were my favorite film cameras. Both the FM & FE were designed as system cameras with accessories such as data backs, motor winders & interchangeable screens. They remained my main cameras until I got my Pentax K-10.
I loved the FM. Great camera particularly with a winder.
01-12-2020, 03:08 PM   #26
Veteran Member

I cant say from actual experience but I have done a lot of research and reading and the early FEs are reported as prone to electronic failure of varying degrees. It could be something dead simple like corrosion on a contact, resistor or switch gear somewhere or it could be something very serious. The FGs were rated as very unreliable electronically as well. Best bet would be to have a tech look at it as it could be simple. Some of the early minoltas suffer various electro ills and many are down to pretty simple fixes IF you know what to look for.

In the main I steer clear of electronics based cameras for just this reason.
01-13-2020, 06:49 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I liked my FM, the FM2N not as much; the shutter is just too loud.
My FE2 did not impress with diminished fit finish and function.

OTOH the FE is the best of the lot IMO. It's so nice I now have two of them.
This coming from someone who usually prefers manual mechanical cameras...

Chris
01-16-2020, 09:29 PM   #28

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Astro-Baby Quote
The FGs were rated as very unreliable electronically as well.
Funny you should say that -- I forgot if I mentioned it, but someone gave me an FG and it's on the fritz as well. Haven't decided if I will put the $$ into fixing it.
01-17-2020, 05:45 PM - 1 Like   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Astro-Baby Quote
The FGs were rated as very unreliable electronically as well.
The FG's were touted as the cheapest way to access Nikon lenses . . .

I picked up a couple for practically free but they continue to work just fine. I am not sure what Nikon was thinking when they released the FG after the EM because it was quite capable. They quickly remedied that by releasing the FG-20 to take away the manual capabilities.
01-25-2020, 10:38 AM   #30

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I liked my FM, the FM2N not as much; the shutter is just too loud.
My FE2 did not impress with diminished fit finish and function.

OTOH the FE is the best of the lot IMO. It's so nice I now have two of them.
This coming from someone who usually prefers manual mechanical cameras...

Chris
I had a silver FE which after a robbery was replaced with a Black FE2. I never noticed any difference in build quality or materials, or reduced functionality either. Of the 5 Nikon film bodies I've owned my FE2 was/is my favorite.