Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
10-28-2019, 08:32 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Anyone know anything about the Nikon FE?

Hi all! I have an old Nikon FE that was given to me some years back. I just dug it out. It's in remarkably clean condition. It had the stuck shutter/winder problem but a little fiddling with the winder seems to have sorted that out.

Now the issue is that the shutter sounds like its only firing at one speed no matter where I set the dial. The shutter does work properly in Bulb.

I tried new batteries. The battery indicator light goes on and the meter appears to work, but the shutter behaves the same way.

I asked on a Nikon forum and no one is even reading, so I figured I'd try here. Any guesses?

Thanks!
Aaron

10-28-2019, 08:40 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Back in my day I knew the rep and the repair team leads. Not a clue how to troubleshoot it. It is a fine camera but as a manual snob back then I preferred the FM/fm2.
10-29-2019, 05:23 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Battery?
FE2 only has 1 shutter speed without battery.
10-30-2019, 09:10 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bart Quote
Battery?
FE2 only has 1 shutter speed without battery.
Yep, tried new batteries. Meter works, battery light lights up, but shutter behavior doesn't change.

10-31-2019, 06:07 AM   #5
Pentaxian

If you have access to a camera repair shop, then I'd have them take a look to see if it can be repaired for a reasonable cost.
11-15-2019, 01:20 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks all. As it happens, someone gave me a Nikomat and an FG. FG has the same problems, but the Nikomat works like a charm, so I had a chance to shoot a little Nikon. Made me miss my KX!
11-16-2019, 07:17 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My first Nikon was an FT3 Nikkormat...

11-16-2019, 08:21 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I’ve been shooting lately with an original Nikon F. Hadn’t used one since the mid 1960s. After Mark Hama did a CLA it feels and works better than I remembered. A very solid beast!
11-16-2019, 08:54 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The FE one of my favorite Nikons. It's the camera the Pentax K2 should have been...
11-16-2019, 07:33 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Autonerd Quote
Now the issue is that the shutter sounds like its only firing at one speed no matter where I set the dial. The shutter does work properly in Bulb.
Just to be sure, at the slow shutter speeds that you can actually time and verify - 1, 2, 4 & 8 seconds, the shutter doesn't stay open for those lenghts of times?
11-16-2019, 08:10 PM   #11
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
The FE one of my favorite Nikons. It's the camera the Pentax K2 should have been...
The FE was released in 1978, 3 years after the K2 and Pentax had moved on to the M series by then.
11-17-2019, 01:12 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
Just to be sure, at the slow shutter speeds that you can actually time and verify - 1, 2, 4 & 8 seconds, the shutter doesn't stay open for those lenghts of times?
That is correct.
11-17-2019, 01:52 PM   #13
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is it possible the shutter speed dial is not turning on the shaft correctly and you are not selecting either the automatic setting or any of the other selectable shutter speeds? If the speed you are seeing is consistent this might be a clue.
11-17-2019, 10:12 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Autonerd Quote
That is correct.
Battery good light and meter works so some electronics work. Only B and M90 work with no batteries while all others are under electronic control. Since it even allows you to fire in all other electronic shutter speeds means at least some electronic control functionality.

When in Auto mode - if you meter and relatively dark scene that requires 1 - 8 second exposure, will the shutter stay open that long?
11-17-2019, 11:02 PM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mlt Quote
Is it possible the shutter speed dial is not turning on the shaft correctly and you are not selecting either the automatic setting or any of the other selectable shutter speeds? If the speed you are seeing is consistent this might be a clue.
The speed sounds pretty constant, but the shutter does work properly in Bulb setting, so I'm thinking the shaft is turning.

The shutter speed sounds about right for 1/60th (not that I can tell for sure), which is a speed that works without batteries, so I wonder if the shutter is defaulting to its "mechanical" setting and not allowing itself to be timed by the electronics...?

---------- Post added 11-18-19 at 12:10 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
When in Auto mode - if you meter and relatively dark scene that requires 1 - 8 second exposure, will the shutter stay open that long?
Good thought. Unfortunately, no dice -- shutter speed sounds the same in Auto mode, regardless of how it should be firing. I tried a variety of lighting situations, including hand over the lens and "cheating" the ASA as low as it would go.