Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
10-30-2019, 05:25 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
Same source. They are using the same housing and motor for all lenses to keep cost down.
Ok so it is a cost cutting decision. You get what you pay for or something. I would pick up the Samyang alternatives, which are cheaper, lighter and take 49mm filters.

10-30-2019, 06:02 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Tamron 35mm at f2.8 has better mtf than the dfa* 50mm at f4. Not saying it will be better before any reviews but initials are looking good.
Comparing different focal lengths is a poor practice.
10-30-2019, 07:07 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Comparing different focal lengths is a poor practice.
Yes, but knowing that 50's are usually easier to make than 35's it's info that should make one take notice. Comparing f1.4 to f2.8 is also only sensible if you plan to shoot stopped down.
10-30-2019, 07:31 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Yes, but knowing that 50's are usually easier to make than 35's it's info that should make one take notice. Comparing f1.4 to f2.8 is also only sensible if you plan to shoot stopped down.
I'm not aware that one is easier to make than the other. Perhaps you have link for that? The ideal FL for Pentax is 43mm. 50 is 7 over, 35mm is 8 under. Why would one be more difficult to make?

I've read magazine articles suggesting 35 is a standard lens, not wide angle.

In any case, the criteria for lens selection is not an MTF chart, it's "do I like the images." The big deal about the DFA 50 1.4 is there are some small areas where I prefer it's images to my DA*55 1.4. I"ve seen them, and I decided I'd be happy with the 55 and left over one. Is this 35 better? A better or similar MTF chart does not necessarily equate to a lens you like more.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/302815-35mm-find-prime.html

Show me.

Last edited by normhead; 10-30-2019 at 07:43 AM.
10-30-2019, 01:35 PM   #35
Pentaxian

Original Poster
In any case, the criteria for lens selection is not an MTF chart, it's "do I like the images."
Show me.
I'm guessing a Freudian typo above? s/the/my criteria?

Regardless you are funny character defending Pentax when there's nothing to defend. I explicitly said "I'm not saying its any better but initials are looking good"
10-30-2019, 01:42 PM   #36
Pentaxian

You did mention the DFA 50 1.4, which is what I was objecting to.

The DFA 50 is a good lens. It's the heavy correction and smooth bokeh that make it exceptional. You can't see that in an MTF chart. Interesting you thought i was defending Pentax.

I thought I was pretty clear.
QuoteQuote:
A better or similar MTF chart does not necessarily equate to a lens you like more.
10-30-2019, 02:14 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm not aware that one is easier to make than the other. Perhaps you have link for that? The ideal FL for Pentax is 43mm. 50 is 7 over, 35mm is 8 under. Why would one be more difficult to make?
Roger Cicala of Lensrentals has published his MTF measurements of various 24mm, 35mm, and 50mm lenses.

Lens Rentals | Blog

Lens Rentals | Blog

Lens Rentals | Blog

He does state, "As a general rule, the wider the lens, the more the MTF falls off away from center." The MTF data at Photodo (which is mostly for older lenses) also indicates that 50's generally have higher MTF's than wider lenses. From what I've read over the years, the necessity of a retrofocus design for wide angle lenses - kind of an inverted telephoto design - is a more difficult and delicate design than 50's and short teles.

10-30-2019, 07:18 PM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Roger Cicala of Lensrentals has published his MTF measurements of various 24mm, 35mm, and 50mm lenses.

Lens Rentals | Blog

Lens Rentals | Blog

Lens Rentals | Blog

He does state, "As a general rule, the wider the lens, the more the MTF falls off away from center." The MTF data at Photodo (which is mostly for older lenses) also indicates that 50's generally have higher MTF's than wider lenses. From what I've read over the years, the necessity of a retrofocus design for wide angle lenses - kind of an inverted telephoto design - is a more difficult and delicate design than 50's and short teles.
That interesting... but somewhat dated. As general rule, means, not necessarily for a specific lens. but I get the concept.
10-30-2019, 08:16 PM   #39
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I'll be surprised if Z and RF mount versions aren't offered soon enough... unless, of course, Nikon and Canon are somehow resisting / preventing third party development of lenses for their platforms. With Sigma officially covering L-mount, Tamron will want to capitalize on Z and RF...
Somehow?

Sony opened the E mount specs back in 2011. Plus there is no royalty fee.

Nikon and Canon have not done either and Z and R mounts are only around a year old each. So it will be awhile to see 3rd party autofocus lenses from them in number as they will have to be reversed engineered.
10-30-2019, 11:40 PM   #40
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Somehow?

Sony opened the E mount specs back in 2011. Plus there is no royalty fee.

Nikon and Canon have not done either and Z and R mounts are only around a year old each. So it will be awhile to see 3rd party autofocus lenses from them in number as they will have to be reversed engineered.
Sure... I'm aware of that. What I meant was, if Nikon and Canon are somehow doing something with their lens communication protocol that makes it especially difficult to reverse engineer compared to their earlier F and EF mounts. If they're not, I've no doubt we'll see the Tamron lenses for Z and R mounts... Not for a little while, perhaps, but soon enough. I imagine Tamron is beavering away on the reverse engineering as we speak
10-31-2019, 02:53 AM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Not very expensive but why 67mm filter threads for 2.8 lenses. Totally unnecessary
Tamron have used the same 67mm filter thread for all their lenses in Sony E mount so far.
10-31-2019, 03:34 AM   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Tamron have used the same 67mm filter thread for all their lenses in Sony E mount so far.
I think it is silly. They could have made nice pancakes instead of these oversized balloons.
10-31-2019, 03:40 AM   #43
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I think it is silly. They could have made nice pancakes instead of these oversized balloons.
They could also have made telephoto zooms or mirror lenses. They look OK sized. I like my tiny lenses but find that up to a certain size it doesn't matter. I do find lenses like the wr 55-80 kit a bit large for perma strapping.*

* I never use it because I don't like the optics but its also a bit big.
10-31-2019, 07:25 AM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dude, it's not like these lenses are huge. The are about the same size as the FA 31, and lighter.

Also, given the close-focus capability, while the lenses could be smaller, doubtful they could have been "pancakes".
10-31-2019, 11:49 AM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Dude, it's not like these lenses are huge. The are about the same size as the FA 31, and lighter.

Also, given the close-focus capability, while the lenses could be smaller, doubtful they could have been "pancakes".
So now I am a dude. Well one that is entitled to an opinion without being duded. <insert appropriate insult here>!