Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-29-2019, 07:00 PM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Apple Iphone 11 vs Canon 1DXII

Interesting test , I am sure the peoples who dont thing Phone can replace DSLR or mirrorless for the mass 99,9 %, will find the test irrelevant but ordinary persons will love it.
But the key conclusion is that Computational Photography (GReat JPEG engine or accelarator that Pentax use.) is why these thing are better.

10-29-2019, 07:16 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Yeah, I have meet/talk to countless phone shooters who regularly post very good high-quality photos on the internet which include low light, long exposure, light-paint, etc.. Photos. If they didnít tell me, I would never thought it was taken by phone. To me, the phone photo still cannot beat what I can do with my K3 but it is amazing how a tinny phone can do so much.

Last edited by tokyoscape; 10-29-2019 at 07:27 PM.
10-29-2019, 07:19 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoscape Quote
To me, the phone photo still cannot beat what I can do with my K3 but it is amazing how a tinny phone can do so much.
I agree with you, I love my KP but for manys, they will never see a need for anything better, and the first reason , it's available all the time in their pocket
10-30-2019, 12:04 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I appreciate images taken from brains behind cameras the more I see iPhone photographs showing up everywhere. I use a DSLR because I dislike pixel finders. We keep comparing different worlds not just two aspects of the same thing.

10-30-2019, 03:24 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Biggest problems with phone cameras have to do with ergonomics, which are generally terrible. I just can't shoot more than a few random images with my iphone without getting tired of it. The other thing is that it burns through my phone battery (my phone is a couple of years old) and then I don't have my phone available to do things I really want to use it for, like make phone calls.

Still, for snap shots they will work great and have certainly replaced ILCs for an awful lot of folks.
10-30-2019, 03:50 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
Interesting test , I am sure the peoples who dont thing Phone can replace DSLR or mirrorless for the mass 99,9 %, will find the test irrelevant but ordinary persons will love it.
But the key conclusion is that Computational Photography (GReat JPEG engine or accelarator that Pentax use.) is why these thing are better.
iPhone 11 Pro VS $7500 Pro DSLR Camera - YouTube
The "test" at the beginning of the video was actually pretty easy (didn't even need fullscreen) except for the photo of the guy looking at the lake -that one I missed.

I have to admit, however, that the colours of the new iPhone are good. Not "good for a phone" good. Good. It is indeed incredible how much phones have improved.
10-30-2019, 06:51 AM   #7
Pentaxian

This why the majority of people that I know don't want a camera anymore. They like the ease of their phones & are pretty much content with the image quality they get from them.
10-30-2019, 07:41 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The possibility of exposing simulataenously two image sensors with two different focal length breaks solves a contradiction on mobile phones that can't be solve on the ILC as we know them today. Not only that, but ILC cameras firmare isn't designed with the same goal as smartphones. ILC camera can track a a subject real time and process a series of images in real time, based on single lens approach , that smartphones can't do. So the advantage to smartphone vs ILC camera really depends on the kind of photographs, conditions and versatility that a photographer wants to have.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 10-30-2019 at 07:48 AM.
10-30-2019, 07:50 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
The possibility of exposing simulataenously two image sensors with two different focal length breaks solves a contradiction on mobile phones that can't be solve on the ILC as we know them today. Not only that, but ILC cameras firmare isn't designed with the same goal as smartphones. ILC camera can track a a subject real time and process a series of images in real time, based on single lens approach , that smartphones can't do. So the advantage to smartphone vs ILC camera really depends on the kind of photographs, conditions and versatility that a photographer wants to have.

As always, you need both.
10-30-2019, 07:54 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When I look at 800pixels images on flickr , I've always wonder why some people buy those medium format cameras because I don't see how much better those images are compared to image taken with my $300 smartphone. Someone must be wrong
10-30-2019, 07:56 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
When I look at 800pixels images on flickr , I've always wonder why some people buy those medium format cameras because I don't see how much better those images are compared to image taken with my $300 smartphone. Someone must be wrong

Somedays I have my phone and I wish I'd brought my camera. Somedays I have my camera and I wish I'd brought my phone.

Last edited by normhead; 10-30-2019 at 08:06 AM.
10-30-2019, 07:57 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
Apple Iphone 11 vs Canon 1DXII
Can't compare image more than 500 pixels wide each.
10-30-2019, 09:42 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Looks better than previous versions, but it's still capable of mangling the edges when it tries to simulate shallow DoF. Some of the computational stuff remains gimmicky until it's more reliable.