6 Days Ago   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
CanonIsDooomed?

The Camera Market Needs Canon to Stop Drinking Its Own Kool-Aid

6 Days Ago - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

I'm not helping their cause either. Hahaha! They have nothing I want.
6 Days Ago   #3
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If they had moved a little faster on the M50, I might have moved to it instead of to Pentax when I decided that Rebels were not for me.
6 Days Ago   #4
Pentaxian

I've been tempted by the gx compacts they've just released, in particular the gx5. I agree with the points by the author makes about spreading too thin, and maybe it's something to think about when asking about the lack of new yearly products from any company.

6 Days Ago   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The weirdest thing to me is that they continue with the EOS-M mount when it would probably make the most sense to ditch that and just carry on with EOS -SLR mount and EOS-RF mount. It wouldn't really make that much of a bigger camera to put an APS-C sensor with the RF mount and it would let them consolidate a bit.

(I think the point of the article is mainly that consolidation is good. But it is just as applicable to companies like Nikon and Sony that keep legacy cameras around on shelves for years after their release dates).
6 Days Ago   #6
Pentaxian

That article is useless.

I stopped when they criticized Canon for releasing the 90D... come on, DSLRs are still Canon's bread and butter and the majority of their revenues (and probably all the profit at this point) comes from that. In fact their DSLR sales are probably paying off their incursion into the RF market. The M mount might be profitable at this point too, at least in Japan it is, which is why it makes sense to release new stuff for it. Whoever wrote this has no business clue.
6 Days Ago   #7
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
(I think the point of the article is mainly that consolidation is good. But it is just as applicable to companies like Nikon and Sony that keep legacy cameras around on shelves for years after their release dates).
For Sony it makes sense - I'm not as familiar with Nikon. When they issue camera "i+1", they downgrade all previous cameras directly below it - so they get a complete line without having to issue the cameras separately. It is like Pentax would have planned from the get-go to keep the K-1, K-1ii, K-3, K-3ii. If sales get 'bad', then they finally delete it from the catalog when they finally sell out ..... otherwise they make more when they run out of them. If Pentax were to follow that model, then people who truly didn't want the 'accelerator' would simply purchase the K-1; people who truly wanted flash instead of GPS would purchase the K-3; there would be no one going to another company because the company goofed and allowed the "K-7/5/3" shelf to remain bare for a year.
6 Days Ago   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
That article is useless.
+1
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
DSLRs are still Canon's bread and butter and the majority of their revenues (and probably all the profit at this point) comes from that. In fact their DSLR sales are probably paying off their incursion into the RF market. The M mount might be profitable at this point too, at least in Japan it is, which is why it makes sense to release new stuff for it. Whoever wrote this has no business clue.
Dead on. When sales volume drops, fixed costs don't and that means profits drop. As long as Canon can sell products for more than what the cost of production is for that product, it makes zero sense to discontinue that product. The author of this article is another insecure MILC evangelist.

6 Days Ago   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
For Sony it makes sense - I'm not as familiar with Nikon. When they issue camera "i+1", they downgrade all previous cameras directly below it - so they get a complete line without having to issue the cameras separately. It is like Pentax would have planned from the get-go to keep the K-1, K-1ii, K-3, K-3ii. If sales get 'bad', then they finally delete it from the catalog when they finally sell out ..... otherwise they make more when they run out of them. If Pentax were to follow that model, then people who truly didn't want the 'accelerator' would simply purchase the K-1; people who truly wanted flash instead of GPS would purchase the K-3; there would be no one going to another company because the company goofed and allowed the "K-7/5/3" shelf to remain bare for a year.
The rationale is different between Pentax and Sony. Sony keeps the older models to... showcase how much better the new ones are? I honestly don't know. I would say that, when getting a Sony camera, it's a question of how much money you want to spend, but with the A6X00 series it gets very confusing, it's a mess of features.

Regarding the article, the author just seems to

a) believe that full frame is the only worthy format of anyone not-a-complete-beginner, which is lol.
b) think that mirrorless is the only way forward, which again is only even a possibility because everyone keeps praising Sony due to... to... Eye AF! That's it. And the small 1 kg lenses.
5 Days Ago   #10
Pentaxian

Doomed?

The RP at night