Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
5 Days Ago - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Leica announces the SL2

A New Icon: Leica Camera Announces the New Leica SL2, Successor to the Trailblazing Leica SL // 2019 (not urgent translatable) // Press Releases // Press Centre // Company - Leica Camera AG

47Mp
11 FPS with mechanical shutter
20 FPS with electronic shutter
Great body design
Excellent glass.

All the good Leica, Pana and Sigma glass to shine light on that 47Mp.

I'm impressed by the look of sample images that came out of that Leica SL2.

Too bad Ricoh make only one lens D-FA50 1.4 that really reveal the potential of the Pentax K-1.

Too bad I'd have a hard time justify spending the money for a Leica SL2 and a trio of lenses.

5 Days Ago   #2
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Impressive, looks like everything a Leica should be - a work of art and outstanding performer. Unfortunately at 11k $ for the body and a “kit” lens way out of my budgets.
5 Days Ago   #3
Pentaxian

Would be nice to try one for a week or so. Curious if the minimalist controls are a blessing or a curse.

---------- Post added 11-06-19 at 12:33 PM ----------

Just to add... Note the fixed back screen

---------- Post added 11-06-19 at 12:36 PM ----------

Haha Mistral75 was ahead of me in the knew thread.
5 Days Ago   #4
Pentaxian

Leica SL2 is the first Leica camera with IBIS.

A Panasonic Lumix DC-S1R in disguise.

5 Days Ago   #5
Pentaxian

For $11K, that grip doesn't even look comfortable.

I'm not a big fan of Ken Rockwell but his Leica Man description is very amusing and something I always remember when I see a new release from the inimitable Leica
5 Days Ago   #6
PJ1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

But is there a give away competition that would make it worth me joining the Leica Forums??

It certainly has an impressive list of features but it would be way beyond my ability to get the best from them. Not to mention it being way beyond my budget. And what kind of computer set up would be required to handle those 187MP high resolution shots? I can't afford my own super computer either.
5 Days Ago   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
For $11K, that grip doesn't even look comfortable.

I'm not a big fan of Ken Rockwell but his Leica Man description is very amusing and something I always remember when I see a new release from the inimitable Leica
Hahaha! So true.
5 Days Ago   #8
PJ1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I'm not a big fan of Ken Rockwell but his Leica Man description is very amusing
Yes - I note his observation that "The Leica man rarely takes his own pictures. He has others to bother with that for him..."

I guess that explains the fixed LCD.

5 Days Ago - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
Yes - I note his observation that "The Leica man rarely takes his own pictures. He has others to bother with that for him..."

I guess that explains the fixed LCD.
A real Leica doesn't have an LCD! The Leica M10-D came out last year, which is a good digital rangefinder camera with no LCD on the back, so it looks and handles like a film Leica. Of course it is more expensive than the plain M10 which is about the same, but with a rear LCD.
Actually, I've used film Leica cameras since 1968, and still use the M4 I bought then, but supplemented with an M6 (with TTL meter) in 1985. Yes, they were expensive even then, but I'm still using them after 50 years.
How much will you spend on upgrading digital cameras over 50 years?
5 Days Ago   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
A real Leica doesn't have an LCD! The Leica M10-D came out last year, which is a good digital rangefinder camera with no LCD on the back, so it looks and handles like a film Leica. Of course it is more expensive than the plain M10 which is about the same, but with a rear LCD.
Actually, I've used film Leica cameras since 1968, and still use the M4 I bought then, but supplemented with an M6 (with TTL meter) in 1985. Yes, they were expensive even then, but I'm still using them after 50 years.
How much will you spend on upgrading digital cameras over 50 years?
Good point. I've still got my 1951 Leica 11f rangefinder (screwmount) with my one and only Leica lens...an even older Leitz Elmar collapsible, 50mm F 3.5.

I bought the two back around 1982...they still work very well, excellent photos. The body has a dent on the top and some of the leatherette is missing...but it's still taking photos...and during my custody with it...still never a repair.

Basic, good looking, probably so old a Leica that most would never twig to what it is...I mean...after all...not even a red dot on the front of the body.

Just read The Leica Man for the first time. I think I'm more of the Pentax guy.
5 Days Ago   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Good point. I've still got my 1951 Leica 11f rangefinder (screwmount) with my one and only Leica lens...an even older Leitz Elmar collapsible, 50mm F 3.5.

I bought the two back around 1982...they still work very well, excellent photos. The body has a dent on the top and some of the leatherette is missing...but it's still taking photos...and during my custody with it...still never a repair.
The IIf is a nice camera. I picked up a 1954 Leica IIIf (same but with slow speeds and self timer) and used it in the army around 1970. It also had a a 50mm 3.5 Elmar from 1941.
Over the years I've collected a number of other old Leica, including a model A (their first model) from 1929, that had been converted to a model II in 1932. Its Elmar lens was also from the 1920s, originally fixed on a model A, but converted to screw mount later. It has no serial number, because it was originally non-removable.
These old Elmars still produce very nice images on digital cameras, especially once given a CLA to remove internal haze. I also have a 1934 50 mm F2 Summar - Leica's. It's about as sharp as modern lenses in the center, but lower contrast as it isn't coated.

Amazing that I can use all these old Leica lenses even on the newest M10 Leica body (as well as on a Sony A7 with adapter).
4 Days Ago   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
The IIf is a nice camera. I picked up a 1954 Leica IIIf (same but with slow speeds and self timer) and used it in the army around 1970. It also had a a 50mm 3.5 Elmar from 1941.
Over the years I've collected a number of other old Leica, including a model A (their first model) from 1929, that had been converted to a model II in 1932. Its Elmar lens was also from the 1920s, originally fixed on a model A, but converted to screw mount later. It has no serial number, because it was originally non-removable.
These old Elmars still produce very nice images on digital cameras, especially once given a CLA to remove internal haze. I also have a 1934 50 mm F2 Summar - Leica's. It's about as sharp as modern lenses in the center, but lower contrast as it isn't coated.

Amazing that I can use all these old Leica lenses even on the newest M10 Leica body (as well as on a Sony A7 with adapter).
Sounds like a nice collection and you're right about how the old Leica lenses can still be used on modern equipment.

I bought my 11f and Elmar collapsible almost 40 years ago at a small camera shop that first opened it's doors back in 1897. It was a family owned and family staffed business and primarily a Leica dealer...lot of used Leica equipment in their inventory back then, along with some new stuff. Very knowledgeable people and in the store, I recall the old cabinetry, etc...also an old Leica poster in B+W that was mounted on the wall. It showed a person outfitted in mountain climbing clothes with a Leica rangefinder....on a mountain ledge from what I recall. It was advertising a new telephoto lens and was from the earlier 1930's.

It was directly opposite the building of the largest newspaper in the province, and I'm sure over the years they had sold and serviced Leica equipment for some of the paper's photographers. Unfortunately the business and the business building lasted for just a few years longer. The family unfortunately passed on, the building was torn down due to downtown redevelopment.

Quite a place...fitting for a Leica establishment.
4 Days Ago - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
What's interesting is that Leica seems to keep going at a constant pace, having small market share in volume, they buidling alliances with other companies like Sigma and Panasonic.
Pentax on the other end have equally small market share in volume, lower prices and they play alone, sounds like the best recipe for failure. (according to one of the latest vlogs of T&C Northrup, "Pentax is a dead brand").

Last edited by biz-engineer; 4 Days Ago at 08:40 AM.
4 Days Ago   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
What's interesting is that Leica seems to keep going at a constant pace, having small market share in volume, they buidling alliances with other companies like Sigma and Panasonic.
Pentax on the other end have equally small market share in volume, lower prices and they play alone, sounds like the best recipe for failure.
There are even better recipes for failure, look at the latest quarterly results published by Nikon (Imaging Products: -28% in sales and an operating loss), Olympus (Imaging: operating loss = 30% of sales!) and Canon (Imaging System: -14% in sales and -57% in operating result).
4 Days Ago   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Pentax on the other end have equally small market share in volume, lower prices and they play alone, sounds like the best recipe for failure. (according to one of the latest vlogs of T&C Northrup, "Pentax is a dead brand").
I have little faith in 'professional' commentators and while I'm at it...even though this isn't part of the discussion.... just as I have little confidence in surveys which bill their results as accurate 19 out of 20 times, etc.

I remember a number of years ago when Pentax and Samsung had some kind of deal going on. That didn't last long. Why...I dunno...never examined it too carefully. Then of course...Hoya....

I think perhaps Pentax has had enough when it comes to 'partnerships', takeovers etc...and I'm happy that Ricoh runs Pentax now, although I don't pretend to know all the details of this business arrangement.

But so far...so good...and in this modern world that in itself, is about the best we can hope for, when it comes to predicting the lifespan of our favourite products...in this case...Pentax.

My first digital camera was a Panasonic...around 2005 I think. It cost me a few bucks, not cheap. I was also looking at the Canon G series...I went with the Panasonic with it's Leica labelled lens. The lens may have been labeled "Leica' but it was no Leica lens compared to my old Leitz Elmar or other Leica lenses I've used.

It made me wonder...had Leica sold their soul....to the gods of marketing ?

Well, they haven't sold their soul all that much, but for me...after this experience.... I refreshed my sense of caveat emptor. Eventually I bought a Canon G series (G12) and I recall wishing I had gone with the earlier G series, than the Panasonic. I remember a photo store staff woman, trying to persuade me to get the earlier G (think it was a G3) over the Panasonic...same price...but no, I knew better.

So corporate partnerships...there are strengths and weaknesses to them and I guess it all depends who is the # 1 partner...which partner is in the driver's seat.