Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2019, 02:46 AM - 3 Likes   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
A reasonable Black Friday deal came up on Amazon whereby I can pay for the KP by instalment at no extra cost so it’s on its way.Will post pics ASAP!!

11-25-2019, 05:39 AM - 1 Like   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Enjoy, Tim! We look forward to seeing your photos.
11-25-2019, 05:48 AM   #48
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
Enjoy, Tim! We look forward to seeing your photos.
Thanks Martyn and thanks to everyone else who pitched in with advice, invaluable as ever!
11-25-2019, 03:06 PM - 1 Like   #49
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
A reasonable Black Friday deal came up on Amazon whereby I can pay for the KP by instalment at no extra cost so it’s on its way.Will post pics ASAP!!
You should be looking forward to some very nice images. I wish you the best with your new camera.

Happy shooting.

11-29-2019, 10:23 AM   #50
Pentaxian

Original Poster
My new KP arrived on Wednasday and these are my first impressions.

Pros

It's slightly (noticably) smaller and lighter than the K5ii

Buttons and dials are infinitely more customisable. I have assigned Fx1 to wi-fi, Fx2 to One Push File Format and Fx3 to Exposure lock, C1 dial to Outdoor view setting C2 to EV Compensation and C3 to LCD display options but I'm still playing around with the settings to get used to them.

The general finish seems more durable.

Initial results which I've posted elsewhere are very pleasing

Cons

I'd like to be able to disable the Green Button which I never use . I use back button focusing and the Green Button is so close I have frequently hit it by mistake.(now solved thanks to advice elsewhere on PF)

The SD card door seems a little bit less robust.

Not missing the top plate LCD too much yet.

Last edited by timb64; 12-05-2019 at 04:15 PM.
11-29-2019, 07:00 PM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Glad to read that you're liking the KP. Do give it time, as it's quite a different experience than the K-5. Some people like it right off; more people, I suspect, take time to warm up to it. I certainly did, but now feel very little need to buy a K-1 -- though I certainly will be interested in looking at the K-new when it appears.
11-30-2019, 01:39 PM   #52
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Gave it a good run out today at a beach where seals have recently pupped and have to say it’s a real pleasure,focus on my nonPLM 55-300 is now spot on even with BIF whereas it used to hunt like crazy on the K5ii.

Also finding the wi-fi very useful.

12-05-2019, 12:34 PM   #53
Veteran Member

I was just about to post how you can get a K1 used for under 1k....but I see you got a KP. Heard it's a great camera. Hope it works out for ya
12-08-2019, 06:46 PM   #54
Veteran Member

I was going to say that there wouldn't be much advantage to going FF, but you figured that out. The better bang for the buck would be a KP...

(I don't shoot the K1 as much as I thought I would, but hope springs eternal.)
12-09-2019, 01:10 AM   #55
Veteran Member

I recently "achieved" semi retirement and have a small sum (in the region of $1000 plus trade in on my trusty K5ii and beloved 16-85.)with which to reward myself after 30 years in a fairly stressful profession.

With the extra time on my hands I'm keen to venture into the world of full frame photography and whilst a K1 is the obvious choice I'm afraid it's beyond my budget.After much research I've narrowed down the choices in my own order of preference to Nikon D750, Sony A7ii and Canon 6D with an equivalent of the 16-85 lens.I mainly shoot landscape/wildlife and have very little interest in action photography or video.Anyone been through a similar process or willing to chip in with advice?

Thanks in advance,

Tim
I dont know whether staying with Pentax is really part of your choice but it is doable to find used K1 within your budget.
12-09-2019, 01:53 AM - 2 Likes   #56
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fsge Quote
I dont know whether staying with Pentax is really part of your choice but it is doable to find used K1 within your budget.
I ended up with a new KP and so far I'm very happy with my choice
12-09-2019, 02:02 AM   #57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good on you, Tim - enjoy!
12-09-2019, 07:52 AM - 2 Likes   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Leumas Quote
I was just about to post how you can get a K1 used for under 1k....but I see you got a KP. Heard it's a great camera. Hope it works out for ya
I got two. Okay, one had a problem with a dial and the seller took it back, but he sold it for ~850€. The one I actually use I grabbed off Ebay for ~950€ with 128GB SD card and a rather expensive Carry Speed shoulder strap that I should resell because my back hates it. Right under 2000 shots on it, too... a week after I somehow found the D FA 28-105 in "you-would-never-know-it's-used" condition for another 300€ sharp so I really, really cannot complain.

Hadn't the KP been at least 800€ in Germany (used) throughout the entire time I searched, I would have gone for it.

---------- Post added 12-09-19 at 07:56 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
I was going to say that there wouldn't be much advantage to going FF, but you figured that out. The better bang for the buck would be a KP...

(I don't shoot the K1 as much as I thought I would, but hope springs eternal.)
Hope springs eternal here as well: once I get rid of the PhD student salary limitations* the travel-light system is in my sights. If I can convince a certain someone (the cat) that the LTDs do not take up a lot of space...

*I'm not delusional, I'm not delusional, I'm not delusional

Last edited by Serkevan; 12-09-2019 at 07:58 AM.
12-10-2019, 03:35 AM   #59
Veteran Member

I ended up with a new KP and so far I'm very happy with my choice
I am glad to read that, being a KP user as well!