Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2019, 12:39 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
FPP Debonair vs Holga 120N

Been toying (heh) with the idea of getting a plastic 120 film camera. I was, of course, thinking of the Holga, but then I saw the FPP's Debonair:

120 Film Camera - FPP Debonair ? Film Photography Project Store

It's a bit cheaper than the Holga, and I like the idea of supporting FPP 'cause I like their podcast. And it looks like the Holga makes it easy to do sprocket photography, which I'm kind of eager to try.

That said, the sample images from the Debonair weren't as funky as the Holga (and funkiness is what I am after), plus I'm not sure if I like the 6x4.5 format vs 6x6.

Any opinions on which to get?

Thanks in advance --
Aaron

11-24-2019, 03:13 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My suggestion: get a Zeiss Ikon Ikonta or Nettar. The Nettars will most likely cost (much) less and have much better lenses and proper shutters. You can get them in 6x6 and 6x9 and even 6x4.5. The Ikontas are the best and are equipped with rangefinders.
But of the two you mention above I would absolutely choose the Holga. The Debonair is just too much of a toy camera.

Last edited by LaHo; 11-24-2019 at 03:14 AM. Reason: typo
11-24-2019, 05:06 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I really like old folders, especially as a way to get into medium format without serious commitment...

I would second them as a neat way to get in to the format. But I don’t know how any of them behave for “sprocket photography”

And I think this is the first time I’ve heard the Holga be on that side of the “toy camera” equation

-Eric
11-24-2019, 11:46 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks all -- I should probably add that I'm not looking for a cheap way to get into medium format (will be borrowing a friend's Mamiya for that . I actually am interested in the funky vibe these "bad" cameras produce. I'm a little put off by the whole lomography-hipster thing, but I remember when plastic cameras were becoming "a thing" in the early-mid 90s and I never explored it, and now I'm kind of interested.

12-11-2019, 04:09 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I don't want to hijack this post, but I was looking for similar answers. I've got some experience with medium format (i have an RB67 pro), but i don't do any more these days due to portability issues (i have an RB67 pro...)

I couldn't justify $100 for a Diana/Holga, so i was looking for a "good" cheap 120 camera. I don't need the lomo effects (i have to repair some light seals already...), but enjoy the 120 size and clarify and "fun" factor.

Thank you so much all for letting me know that these cameras exist! I'll have to do some research, and I'll be sure to post some pictures when I inevitably purchase one...
12-12-2019, 04:32 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

My three Ikontas:

They are pretty flat when folded up. The widest one i 6x9, and the other two are 6x6.

Sprocket image using the Zeiss Ikon Nettar 517/2 6x9 camera:

Sprocket image using the Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta 531/16 6x6 camera:

The quick and dirty way to do it is to use some packing pieces to center the 35 mm canister in the camera, but how many turns to wind the film on is just a guess and varies as you wind the film on. You might experience light leaks.

The smarter way requires a totally dark room: tape used 120 backing paper to a table, tape one end of an approx. 82 cm length of a 35mm film (or half the length of a normal 36 exp. film without the leader) to one end of the backing paper and roll the backing paper with film onto a 120 spool. Then it operates just like a normal 120 film.

The two Nettars cost me approx. 40-45 USD each, whereas the rangefinder Super Ikonta with faster lens cost me approx. 150 USD
12-12-2019, 04:46 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

BTW - if you want to try the "toy lens effect", you could flip the rearmost lens in a Nettar and get a look like this:

In my case it was a mishap when cleaning the lens, but I did get the "dreamy" look:

Camera: Zeiss Ikon Ikonta 523/16 6x6 cm format.