Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2019, 05:04 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Update: went the local camera store yesterday just to see if they have any used Pentax stuff (they had a M 28/2.8 which I bought). They showed my a Lumix GH3 for $99. Having not research it I left to think about it and look online. At that price it seemed like a great deal so I bought. There aren’t a ton available online and the usual asking price for a body seems to start mid $200s. Not saying that’s what it’s worth, just what the dreamers are asking. Seems like a good deal anyway. Adapter for my 110 lenses was ordered last night so I can run it through it’s paces and decide if it’s a keeper. Seems like a lot of camera for $99. Similar to the G3 but with better higher iso capability, a bit better viewfinder. Also better ability for video. Body is bigger than I wanted. Wanted something more pocketable but the viewfinder is a plus.
Looking forward to testing it out

Thanks

12-18-2019, 12:30 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Can anyone recommend an inexpensive general short zoom for micro 4/3s? Looking for a cheap AF kit lens type to go with my Lumix - for general family pics, street photography, etc. Anyone have an opinion on the Olympus Zuiko 14-45? It's very cheap on KEH.

Any Panasonic lenses to consider (think cheap, but decent) or third party lenses?

Thanks

Last edited by Lhorn; 12-18-2019 at 12:38 AM.
12-18-2019, 02:36 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Panasonic 12-32....very good.
12-18-2019, 04:06 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lhorn Quote
Olympus Zuiko 14-45
That's a 4/3rd SLR lens, for the previous Olympus 4/3rds system. It requires an adapter and probably won't focus on the GH3.

For a Panasonic camera without image stabilization, you should probably be looking for one of the Panasonic "kit" zooms: 14-42, 14-45, 12-32, 12-60. Get whichever bets fits your needs and budget.

12-18-2019, 10:23 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
That's a 4/3rd SLR lens, for the previous Olympus 4/3rds system. It requires an adapter and probably won't focus on the GH3
Ah, thanks. Just to be clear, both Panasonic and Olympus make MICRO 4/3 lenses which should be compatible, mount without adapter and autofocus, right? Seems like both make a 14-42. Is it me or is the Olympus typically a bit cheaper?

I'll check out those other lenses recommended above.

Thanks.
12-19-2019, 04:46 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ah, thanks. Just to be clear, both Panasonic and Olympus make MICRO 4/3 lenses which should be compatible, mount without adapter and autofocus, right?
That's right. All m43 lenses work on all m43 bodies.

Is it me or is the Olympus typically a bit cheaper?
I haven't checked prices, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Olympus are cheaper. The Panasonic kits lenses tend to be at least a little better and offer image stabilization.
12-25-2019, 04:23 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Can anyone recommend an inexpensive general short zoom for micro 4/3s? Looking for a cheap AF kit lens type to go with my Lumix - for general family pics, street photography, etc. Anyone have an opinion on the Olympus Zuiko 14-45? It's very cheap on KEH.

Any Panasonic lenses to consider (think cheap, but decent) or third party lenses?

Thanks
Not sure if you'd consider a longer focal length, but the Olympus 40-150 is a pretty amazing lens for about $100. Manual focus override, silent focus motor, decently sharp and beautiful colors.