Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2020, 04:01 PM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

The Kodak box cameras have a shutter speed stated at 1/60 from recall. I had a box brownie about 40 years ago with its original manual and the Kodak guide to taking pics and from recall the shutter ran at 60th.

11-23-2021, 09:48 PM - 2 Likes   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Hello,

This project started over 2 years ago and it was put aside for a while. Now that I have more experience with the Brownies I took another go at this one.
Ansco, the merge of ANthony and SCOvill companies, was always in the shadow of giant Kodak but stood as a small but fierce competitor for decades including winning a patent infringement lawsuit against Kodak in the early 1900's for $5 million, which basically saved the company from bankruptcy.
This is a really cheap camera. Construction is simple, flimsy and materials are inferior. Keep in mind these were entry level cheap cameras.
According to this 1948 catalog, this model was $4.51 which is about $50 in today's money. Notice it was even cheaper than the leather cases for other models.

Picture from the Buktus camera manuals page

The flimsy cardboard film holder was carefully cleaned. The metal was very rusted and was treated the best I could without damaging it.

The viewfinders don't use real mirrors. Just a shiny polished piece of metal, which was becoming a common practice. The viewfinder lenses seem to be plastic as well. They are definitely not glass.

The shutter guard was removed, rust treated in an overnight bath of vinegar, sanded
down to the metal and painted.

Here you can see the difference between the untouched and the polished strap's buttons.

Second button in process

Rust was fought as much as possible but materials are really cheap

Date stamp 5-47 May 1947. Not sure if the 20 refers to the day or something else.

So....

May I present yet another member of the box camera stable:

The ANSCO SHUR-SHOT JR.

The simplest camera design for decades.

The bright parts were polished the best I could, but they are pitted due to rust. But very happy especially about the advance knob metal bezel.

Now to wait its turn for testing.
What do you think?

Thanks,
Ismael
11-24-2021, 02:39 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Amazing work Ismael. Would be interesting to see if it takes OK photos.