Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
12-15-2019, 07:41 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
How about trying to revive and use a 72+years old box camera?

Hello,

Recently, a relative of a friend sent me this for my collection. An Ansco Shur Shot Jr. At first I thought just to clean it for display but wait: This takes 120 film... hmmmm
How about getting it to work? Darn it! Like if I needed another project!
A little datestamp says 5-47. That's over 72 years ago.

Yikes! Nothing moves. Metal parts are rusted. I'm sure those critter nests are not supposed to be there. Lets' see how it goes. Stay tuned...

Thanks,

12-15-2019, 07:45 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good luck!
12-15-2019, 07:50 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Looks ... challenging?
What's the second part in the second photo, the trapezoidal piece? The film goes over the wider part and the reels are at the back of the camera?
12-15-2019, 08:15 AM   #4
Pentaxian

If you get stuck try here.....
Vintage Camera Collectors Public Group | Facebook
That's all they do is live and breath old cameras

12-15-2019, 09:48 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There's a Vintage Camera Repair Group

The Vintage Camera Repair Group Public Group | Facebook

And a group to post photos taken with vintage cameras...

Vintage Camera Users Public Group | Facebook
12-15-2019, 09:58 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I bought one of those at a yard sale 25 years or so ago for $1. I paid more to have the roll of film that was in it developed. Some interesting family shots from probably 30 years before that.

It isn’t the best camera I own, but it could be a fun project... and a little simpler than your last few

-Eric
12-15-2019, 10:14 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks gang!
It is definitely simpler. Since it is a single lens, color film would be a waste most likely due to CA, PF and all those nasty stuff that were not fully understood back then. I think B&W is the way to go. And since there is no control whatsoever, I think ASA 400 would work. But I'm getting ahead of myself. Let's make it work first.
Thanks for the links. Only problem is I "divorced" Facebook over a year ago. We are not in good terms

Thanks,

---------- Post added 12-15-19 at 01:44 PM ----------

Hello again,

OK, I studied how it should work and started cleaning some of the rust. This is 72+ years old cardboard so I have to be very gentle. Lightly lubricated the springs and moving parts and after a while we are GO! Single speed, no other type of control. It doesn't get any simpler than this.

Quick video:

It works! Now to gently freshen the cosmetics as it is quite beaten up.

Thanks!

12-15-2019, 01:49 PM   #8
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ISO 400 might be severe overkill as these were probably designed for around ISO 50 at best.
12-16-2019, 03:09 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
(...)Lightly lubricated the springs and moving parts and after a while we are GO! Single speed, no other type of control. It doesn't get any simpler than this.

(...)
Single shutter speed or any speed you determine with your own finger speed?
12-16-2019, 04:59 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Single shutter speed or any speed you determine with your own finger speed?
Seems like you CAN determine it with your finger speed. If you manage to hold the lever exactly in the middle you get long exposure... or a half-exposed image if you miss
12-16-2019, 06:09 AM - 2 Likes   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Not really. The exposure is determine by the tension of the spring that opens the round plate. How fast or how slow you press will only determine at what point it will open, but I don't see anyway to control the time it is open. Keep in mind these were very simple and cheap cameras even in their time.

Thanks,
12-16-2019, 08:59 AM   #12
Pentaxian

^ Thank you for your explanation.
12-17-2019, 02:17 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Looking forward to see you taking pictures with this one. I think it will draw some attention.
07-18-2020, 05:30 AM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hello,

Ok, back to this slow project for a minute. Since this is mainly cardboard and nails, there is really not much to disassemble without destroying it. The good thing is that since this is mainly cardboard and nails, there is not much to disassemble anyways.
After the simple shutter mechanism was brought back to life, a good clean was in order. Both viewfinders were cleaned inside and out the best I could. Far from perfect but they do their job. The outside covering (not sure if some sort of leatherette or what) was carefully cleaned with 409 household cleaner. I had no idea how it would react so I went very gently. It was clean but the top was dull, so I did a bit of "Bling" experiment and added a touch of Armor All on the top only. The faceplate is very delicate. The first touch of mild cleanser and the vertical lines suffered. So it was left alone.
This can use 120 film. However, from the little I've searched, the little red window does not align with anything currently available. So I'm using the paper backing of used film (no film) to calibrate how many turns of the knob are required. That's where we are now. It will still be a while but I hope I can eventually run a roll thru it.

Thanks,
Ismael
07-18-2020, 06:52 AM   #15
Pentaxian

cool ! have several of these......as long as the spring is good!!! some cleaning and lubing will get it to snap as it should or hold a 'timed' exposure.....in some cases i have had to take a hammer to tack down the plate nails from it coming lose !! once secure works fine!

typically these box types are around 1/50 sec in speed.....for outdoors the lowest iso possible prolly best....opposite indoors.....have yet to run a roll yet but have a few that certainly could even after my 'repairs'