Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-26-2019, 01:10 PM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Cute little camera for display only

Hello,

Walking around a little thrift store I found a cute little camera that will most likely not be used. It will most likely be for display only. I got it so I can say I support local businesses! That's my story and I'll stick to it!

It is a Brownie Starflex. These were made between 1957 and 1963. It was intended to be a cheap point and shoot leveraging the TLR layout. It is all plastic (Bakelite I think) and uses 127 film that has been discontinued for decades now. There may still some out there but this was never a serious camera.
I'll clean it out and display it. It may look cute next to a real TLR like my Mat 124G
Seems to be complete, only dirty.

Thanks,

12-26-2019, 02:13 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

ReraPan still makes 127 B&W (400) and color slide (100) film. $14/roll...
12-26-2019, 03:20 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

you are supporting lots of businesses and your collection doesn't stop growing
12-26-2019, 05:30 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When I was little my mom - the family photographer - used a similar Kodak Brownie Starflash camera.
Her 127 slides (yes slides!) were surprisingly sharp and well-exposed even with this rudimentary camera.
Alas the color slide film of the day didn't age well and showed significant color shifts after 20+ years.

FWIW I like the 127 film format very much and wish more decent adjustable lens 127 cameras were available.
4 x 4 cm "superslides" fit in 2" x 2" mounts and can be projected in any Carousel or similar 35mm projector.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 12-26-2019 at 05:35 PM.
12-26-2019, 06:48 PM   #5
Imp
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
And we complain about portability of our cameras
12-26-2019, 06:56 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The only 127 I have is the Brownie Starmite II. My grandfather had a Brownie Star series camera that I used to play with as a kid, without film. I learned how to open it up and trip the double exposure prevention switch.

Name:  _IGP6132.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  352.9 KB
12-26-2019, 07:04 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is nice to see these items being "Reloved"
12-26-2019, 07:28 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I’ve been using a few 127 cameras lately, including a Vest Pocket Kodak folding camera from about 1920, and a Sawyers Mark IV TLR that is quite capable - much like a Rolleiflex. I have trimmers to cut 120 film to 127 size (with a 16mm strip left for my Minolta 16) that work quite well. Cheaper than Rarapan and more film types.

12-26-2019, 07:53 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

CLASSIC simple cameras from Kodak's heyday. The company is a shell of its former self, and it is its own fault!
12-30-2019, 07:37 PM - 3 Likes   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Hello,

OK, since I've never claimed to be normal and easily diverted, here goes this:

The buckles of the strap were very rusted.
Can you tell which one is untouched and which one spent overnight in a vinegar bath, then vigorously brushed under running water, then carefully cleaned with a wire wheel in the Dremel and finally a healthy dose of metal polish?
Keep in mind this about 60+ years old.

Took apart the top and removed the viewing lens "mirror" which is actually a piece of polished metal. It was rusted and dirty. Cleaned it and then went to town with metal polish and elbow grease. It is now much brighter and despite not been 100% perfect, it is way better that before. Before reassembly, cleaned the inside of the front and top lenses. Cleaned and polished the parts and reassembled.

This camera has a folding sports finder.

I suppose you align the smaller square centered to the bigger one

Older plastic cameras need love too!

Thanks,
12-31-2019, 08:57 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
Cleaned and polished the parts and reassembled.
Wow, your work made a world of difference. Looks like mint condition now.
01-06-2020, 08:20 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Hello,

Thanks .a.t.! That's a cool catalog page!

Strap went back together with the polished buckles. No more rusty shame here

And this is how it looks if it were in action. Well, maybe not that close. Thanks to K2 and K1000 top models. Remember in TLRs, the image is inverted.

We can now return to our regularly scheduled programming, already in progress.

Thanks,
01-08-2020, 03:04 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
CLASSIC simple cameras from Kodak's heyday. The company is a shell of its former self, and it is its own fault!
Not completely. Wall Street had a lot to do with it too. Sadly no president of the caliber of the founder stood up and stopped the madness.
01-08-2020, 03:13 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When I stated it was their own fault, it was in reference to the management. Years ago you had many employees reporting to managers, reporting to directors, reporting to VPs, etc. At the end it was AN employee, reporting to MULTIPLE managers, reporting to multiple directors, and so on. This type of structure is destined to fail. If there are any retired or current Kodak people out there, they can chime in on this, but talking to those I know, this was the state of things. You may be such a person, being fro Rachacha! And yes Wall Street did not help and the management seemed to be foolish!
01-08-2020, 08:44 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
Hello,

Walking around a little thrift store I found a cute little camera that will most likely not be used. It will most likely be for display only. I got it so I can say I support local businesses! That's my story and I'll stick to it!

It is a Brownie Starflex. These were made between 1957 and 1963. It was intended to be a cheap point and shoot leveraging the TLR layout. It is all plastic (Bakelite I think) and uses 127 film that has been discontinued for decades now. There may still some out there but this was never a serious camera.
I'll clean it out and display it. It may look cute next to a real TLR like my Mat 124G
Seems to be complete, only dirty.

Thanks,
Such a cute looking camera. You did a nice job cleaning and restoring it.

---------- Post added 01-08-20 at 09:50 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
When I was little my mom - the family photographer - used a similar Kodak Brownie Starflash camera.
Her 127 slides (yes slides!) were surprisingly sharp and well-exposed even with this rudimentary camera.
Alas the color slide film of the day didn't age well and showed significant color shifts after 20+ years.

FWIW I like the 127 film format very much and wish more decent adjustable lens 127 cameras were available.
4 x 4 cm "superslides" fit in 2" x 2" mounts and can be projected in any Carousel or similar 35mm projector.

Chris
I have a Yashica 127 tlr with totally adjustable settings. It's a minaturized 124. Haven't shot it in years. Need to fix that.

Thanks for sharing,
barondla