Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2019, 02:00 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I wouldn't see Nikon abandoning the DSLR market. After all they are doing better in this market than the MILC sector.

12-27-2019, 02:29 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by redpit Quote
I wouldn't see Nikon abandoning the DSLR market. After all they are doing better in this market than the MILC sector.
They've only just entered,ML,with a lot better product than $ony came in with.Of course the native lens range will hold them back.In 12 months that can change.

The % of market share they grabbed,was likely their Dslr users who may have bought Sony/Fuji/m43 if there was no Nikon.
12-27-2019, 02:43 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
They've only just entered,ML,with a lot better product than $ony came in with.Of course the native lens range will hold them back.In 12 months that can change.

The % of market share they grabbed,was likely their Dslr users who may have bought Sony/Fuji/m43 if there was no Nikon.
I agree, but I think that Nikon (like Pentax) depends mainly on Nikonians DSLR users who either turn to MILCs or add a mirrorless camera to their kit. Somehow Sony has the upper hand in that category mainly because it has flooded the market and has presented herself as the "inventor" of MILCs. At least that is the case here from my observations...
12-27-2019, 02:57 AM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Some of Nikon sales would have been returning customers too,.Sony took quite a while to develop their lenses,I think CaNik won't take as long.

It will be an interesting battle for market share.

12-27-2019, 03:20 AM - 3 Likes   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Did anyone expect DSLR to end within a couple of years?
12-27-2019, 03:37 AM - 2 Likes   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
That's pure speculation. I don't know anyone owning a Canon or Nikon DSLR thinking upgrading to a DSLR, they use their DSLR until they switch to mirrorless.
With the DSLR market still being larger than MILC's - and the user base supposedly much larger - I wonder how one would possibly consider it isn't true.

No, people weren't held hostages by a DSLR-only brand; they had the MILC option for a decade, some took it, many didn't.

---------- Post added 27-12-19 at 12:39 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
Did anyone expect DSLR to end within a couple of years?
I'm not sure if anyone here but yes (or rather desperately hoped, filled the Internet with pro-MILC propaganda, called DSLRs "dinosaurs" and their users luddites...).
12-27-2019, 04:00 AM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

Canon and Nikon aren't going to discontinue DSLRs any time soon as they're their bread-and-butter. No matter what you think about mirrorless, DSLRs are what most pros and amateurs are using. CaNikon's FF mirrorless lens lineups are nowhere near complete enough to replace DSLRs and people won't want to use an adapter, even if the existing lenses perform well with them.

DSLR and SLR lens release rates will slow, lines will be cut as the mirrorless systems grow and at some point in the future, still a long way off, DSLRs will be dropped and the only way to use SLR lenses will be on a mirrorless camera with an adapter. But that's a very long time away.

12-27-2019, 05:02 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Just because something is new it does not have to be better. Of course companies are more than happy if in a saturated market a new product groups enables them to sell complete new systems to users that might have been already covered and might have been happy users but slow purchasers in the next years. I think that especialy the real (!) professional market might be a more conservative one. Buying equipment>instruments>tools for your daily job might be a more pragmatic decision and driven by economic factors like ROI, based on existing elements, support and exchange options and integration in the workflow. Thus it might take more time than some might think until ML in the professional photography area really might show significant impact. And I'm not speaking of prosumers, influencers and photo marketers, who are also professionals, but in another field than every day image taking. Later are perfectly covered by Sony and C&N just want to avoid them becoming a valueable option when their costumers will be ready for renewing their toolbox and will have a look at the options on the market. Ricoh might have been an option for professionals, maybe with a special focus on landscape photography (with field cameras like 645Z>K1>K3), but the ecosystem was small. If they keep this spirit up I could see them develop this niche further. They might never cater those getting nervous by the development of new toys, they might better be with Sony, or hardcore professionals in news, sport, studiophotography, but landscape, astro, science, travel, fieldcameras might be it. If DSLRS are it and might even attract some C&N users seeing a shift in their systems is out of knowledge for me. But even if ML will be added, the fieldcamera DNA should be in it, it might be a good class beside Sony lifestyle toys.
12-27-2019, 05:37 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by redpit Quote
With hundreds of D750 users saying they want to replace their camera with a more modern version, this was a "no brainer" - and I'm guessing that Nikon has a much larger development team than Pentax does; they really do release more than one design per year. They have already an ecosystem of modern "FF" lenses that the camera will fit right in to.
12-27-2019, 05:57 AM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

D750 is More than 5 years old(Sept 2014)! K3 II, will be 5 years in may 2020. Now I dont understand the comments about Pentax let down it’s users.
12-27-2019, 06:04 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
D750 is More than 5 years old(Sept 2014)! K3 II, will be 5 years in may 2020. Now I dont understand the comments about Pentax let down it’s users.
Nikon has kept its camera on the shelves, and apparently will announce the new camera before the old camera is completely gone. Ricoh has 'let down its users' by allowing the K-3 shelf be bare all these many months.
12-27-2019, 06:31 AM - 2 Likes   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
They've only just entered,ML,
Nikon are already far enough along to have abandoned an entire MILC format (1 inch).

But Ricoh are way ahead of them there,
they've now abandoned no less than three MILC formats (1/2.3, 1/1.7, and APS-C)!
12-27-2019, 06:40 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Would anyone know, is the D780 slated to have IBIS?

It's price point would not make it a K-1ii competitor but if the specs were favourable enough it could be Nikon's savour.
12-27-2019, 07:01 AM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Nikon are already far enough along to have abandoned an entire MILC format (1 inch).

But Ricoh are way ahead of them there,
they've now abandoned no less than three MILC formats (1/2.3, 1/1.7, and APS-C)!
Pentax did not “abandon’ the 1/2.3 format ... “Q” and “Q-10” were just steps to the “Q-7” and “Q-S1”.
12-27-2019, 07:22 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Just for the record, the last DSLR released was the 90D - a Canon. If you look at actual actions, Canon, not Nikon, not Pentax, is the manufacturer which has not abandoned DSLR users.