Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 47 Likes Search this Thread
12-27-2019, 07:27 AM - 1 Like   #31
Pentaxian

And we will soon see Nikon D6 the same way we saw Canon 1Dx mark III.
For sure, DSLRs are not dead.

12-27-2019, 07:41 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
And we will soon see Nikon D6 the same way we saw Canon 1Dx mark III.
For sure, DSLRs are not dead.
To be honest I don’t see any reason - other than marketing pushing towards mirrorless to increase the profits - for such high end DSLRs to stop being developed even in parallel with their MILC brothers as it is done today...
12-27-2019, 08:22 AM - 3 Likes   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
That's pure speculation. I don't know anyone owning a Canon or Nikon DSLR thinking upgrading to a DSLR, they use their DSLR until they switch to mirrorless.
Your speculation about my assumed speculation is wrong. There is plenty of noise out there in the wild blue internet regarding
Canikon's move into mirrorless. I've seen plenty of posts on numerous forums suggesting current DSLR users wish to see
continued support for the that platform, from users of both brands.

I speculate you have extrapolated a small, local sample, (the people you know), into a conclusion about the entire population,
(all Canikon users). I conclude you have erred.
12-27-2019, 08:32 AM - 2 Likes   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
That's pure speculation. I don't know anyone owning a Canon or Nikon DSLR thinking upgrading to a DSLR, they use their DSLR until they switch to mirrorless.
or they continue using their DSLR until they purchase another DSLR. I hear lots of MILC "evangelists", but those who use are largely quiet - like, here, too busy using to talk. Right now I expect to see a company like Canon to develop two cameras, one DSLR and one MILC, in parallel until such time as that is not sustainable - they don't have to choose one over the other.

12-27-2019, 10:34 AM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by redpit Quote
To be honest I don’t see any reason - other than marketing pushing towards mirrorless to increase the profits - for such high end DSLRs to stop being developed even in parallel with their MILC brothers as it is done today...
Exactly, coexistence but no replacement imho.
12-27-2019, 11:29 AM   #36
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Nikon are already far enough along to have abandoned an entire MILC format (1 inch).

But Ricoh are way ahead of them there,
they've now abandoned no less than three MILC formats (1/2.3, 1/1.7, and APS-C)!
Yes,RI can claim top spot....and it's terrible I'm stuck with 4/5 of them!
12-27-2019, 01:07 PM   #37
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Dslr's have matured though. Improvements are rather slight and I'm guessing they have to work hard to artificially limit features on low end models. It's not a very good place to be in these spec based times of over consumption. You need new, better, faster again and again.

12-27-2019, 01:34 PM   #38
Pentaxian

I am trying to understand the title of this thread. Canon and Nikon are still in the DSLR business. I can think of Olympus and Sony who dropped the DSLR and are now mirrorless only. Any others?
12-27-2019, 02:55 PM   #39
Pentaxian

^ Fujifilm and Panasonic.
12-27-2019, 03:02 PM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
^ Fujifilm and Panasonic.
Aha, thanks.

I have forgotten about the Fujifilm DSLRs with the Nikon F mount.

And Panasonic was along for the ride on the Four Thirds bandwagon before the wheels came off.
12-27-2019, 03:06 PM   #41
Pentaxian

One could almost add Leica, the residual SLR footprint of which is minimal in comparison to their mirrorless offering.
12-27-2019, 03:15 PM   #42
Pentaxian

I just remembered that I have a Four Thirds kit lens, bought very cheaply on an auction website. I am still looking for a cheap body to go with it, but sellers are not coming to the party.
12-27-2019, 04:22 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
One could almost add Leica, the residual SLR footprint of which is minimal in comparison to their mirrorless offering.
“Almost” because they never offered a DSLR? Their R lenses are still well-regarded, if not quite in the same league (price-wise, at least) as their M lenses, and I imagine many users expected them to create a DSLR.

You could “almost” add Contax, because they, at least, had a DSLR, poisoned chalice though it was.
12-27-2019, 04:45 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

good for them!
12-27-2019, 05:32 PM - 1 Like   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I'm not sure if anyone here but yes (or rather desperately hoped, filled the Internet with pro-MILC propaganda, called DSLRs "dinosaurs" and their users luddites...).
For over half a decade DSLR goons flooded MILC websites with pro-DSLR, anti-MILC propaganda.